cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AC ?

dtzackus
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. We have ducted a/c in our rig. I do not have the right owners manual for our a/c. What is the difference between ON and Auto for Cool? Thanks in advance.
Dan, Tammy, Cory, Leah and Adam
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0
2018 Highland Ridge Open Range OF374BHS
GM Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
12 REPLIES 12

zenbuck
Explorer
Explorer
We always run ours on ON to keep the cold air circulating. HVAC buddy tells me it is more efficient this way.

Agreed.... "On" will make your unit more efficient and will keep it from freezing up..

You picked the HOTTEST week Dan!! Stay cool and keep the beer cold!:C

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Farm Camp wrote:

Measure the temperature of the air getting sucked into the intake, then measure the temp of the supply/output air and look for about a 20 degree difference. If that's what you see then the unit is most likely working OK. It may not have the capacity you need to keep the space at the temperature you want.

I'm assuming this rule of thumb still holds true. Maybe the new refrigerant and compressors have changed though. I was taught this little trick in 1983 LOL.

Right there is the key the A/C has little to do with what the outside temp is and this 20 deg delta often mentioned is across the Evap. How cold you can get the inside of the trailer is mostly dependent on the overall insulation and duct losses vs. outside conditions including sun and ambient temperature. You can get close to measuring the intake temp, but measuring the outlet at anywhere but right at the main air plenum will be somewhat higher due to ducting heat losses. This is why when it really gets hot outside those units with the factory registers off the main air plenum or those of us who have modified their ducting to add registers at or close to the main air plenum, can get increased cooling. Also a couple of small fans to circulate the air inside a trailer can also help cool the entire trailer some. A lot of folks think closing some registers to try and redistribute the air sounds like a good idea, but in fact can be counter productive since A/Cs need a designed minimum of free air register outlet to provide maximum cooling and most factory systems do not provide a lot of extra registers above the minimum required.

Finally our A/C units only come in basically two sizes, 13.5 and 15K BTU and generally only have one unit for the common 30A TT configuration and once above about 25' a 13.5K BTU single unit has two strikes against it from the get go and is always running to catch up in warmer weather.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
We leave our ac set to auto during the day, on at night because DW likes the constant air. Cools well during the day, even in hot temps. We hardly ever set it to Hi.
Mark

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
Way - way back in the deep dark past when dinasours still roamed the earth I was taught a quick and dirty way to tell if a AC unit was working about right.

Measure the temperature of the air getting sucked into the intake, then measure the temp of the supply/output air and look for about a 20 degree difference. If that's what you see then the unit is most likely working OK. It may not have the capacity you need to keep the space at the temperature you want.

I'm assuming this rule of thumb still holds true. Maybe the new refrigerant and compressors have changed though. I was taught this little trick in 1983 LOL.
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also when the switch is set to on it circulates the cool air to the bedrooms. when the temps are low enough and the air cycles on off and the switch is set to auto, it is possible for the closed rooms to not get cool. they will get stuffy unless the switch is on, on. this is what mine does if I set the switch to auto.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you get 20 degrees difference between the outside and inside temps, your about average from what I have read. 25 and you're in the top 20% of performance.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
The AC will only drop the outside temp so much. 96 degrees they all struggle that's why a lot have 2units. Keep the doors shut (don't run in/out) park in the shade use your awning put reflective material behind the (closed) curtains block your skylights .
Don't keep the fridge open much either they struggle too.
Campers are about compromise - you are not at home LOL ๐Ÿ™‚
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

dtzackus
Explorer
Explorer
It is 96 F outside.....it seems like the a/c unit isn't getting cold enough. Cleaned the filter, it is cooler, but could be colder. Any suggestions besides leaving the freezer door open? Lol

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
We always run ours on ON to keep the cold air circulating. HVAC buddy tells me it is more efficient this way.

dtzackus
Explorer
Explorer
Dumb question #2, would one get colder? My wife swears the ac runs colder on "ON."

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Usually that refers to the fan setting. ON means the fan runs all the time, AUTO means the fan only runs when the compressor is running.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
On means the fan is running all the time, regardless of the compressor setting. Auto means the fan comes on and off.