cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Acadia, traverse , enclave, strong sellers !

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
I have been following sales stats from goodcarbadcar.net most months, and am amazed at the comination numbers each month of these 3. They outsell any other suv. Does anyone have one of these and tow anything??
30 REPLIES 30

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
MARK VANDERBENT wrote:
I cant decide which one I like the best ?? I would have to say that traverse is sweet looking, but the buick is very sharp, and acadia lights look awesome.

The wife looked at both and liked both. All 3 are very similar. The Traverse was a few grand cheaper and we were able to get a better deal on it too from a dealer we liked.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
DW loved her 2010 Acadia for 3 years. I liked the space but hated the uncomfortable head restraints. It had a number of relatively minor issues that were covered under warranty, but I don't know if I'd own one outside of it due the pesky electrical ones. It did a great job of hauling 6 adults around though, and had a pretty good payload rating, just a low GCWR.
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 CC LB 6.0L
1998 Chevy C2500 Suburban 454 3.73 (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 EB CC 4x4 w/Max Tow (Sold) ๐Ÿ˜ž
2013 North Trail 28BRS

JN_B
Explorer
Explorer
I towed with an Acadia for 2 years.

It was a great tow vehicle, the long/wide wheelbase makes for a great tow platform.

Initially I wanted a tahoe/yukon, but the more I looked into it, the more I wanted an Acadia. The Acadia had more interior room, longer wheelbase, similar power (even though it was only V6), more speeds (at the time).

I towed a small 17' Funfinder, it weighed about 3700#. I went back and forth over the rockies, no problem. The 7' width of the FF probably helped. The biggest pain in the a$$ was backing up our trailer, with the long wheelbase suv, and very short trailer, it was a challenge.

Only reason we upgraded, trailer was too small for our needs.
I sure wish it could tow more, as we'd probably still have it (with a different trailer), I really like the new Denali ones.
2014 Ford F-150 XLT, HD Payload, Max Trailer
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS

Shadow_Grey
Explorer
Explorer
All I know is momma sure likes her Denali. And we all know if mamma is happy we all are happy!

'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5', Max Tow,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs, E Rated Tires, Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder, 16" E rated tires

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
I cant decide which one I like the best ?? I would have to say that traverse is sweet looking, but the buick is very sharp, and acadia lights look awesome.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
MegaCab_PL wrote:
Tahoe is more expensive, but it is a solid towing platform. It suffers in the third row seating comfort since it got that in 2000 thru 2014. Even 2015 is not much improvement.
I am very skeptical and wish people were more honest when saying that they do not even know the trailer is back there. Are you kidding me ? You hook up a 3500 lbs trailer to a CUV with a 3.6 v6 and maybe on a flat road or downhill it may be easy on the car, but moving from a stop sign, or uphill those Lambdas need to work.
My Explorer with 4.6 v8 and "book" towing capacity of 7100 knows when I even pull 4000 behind me.

On the other hand, the newer Traverse, new Acadias with those head lights, and Enclaves are extremely nice vehicles with plenty of room (more than Tahoe that I had in the past).

Things sure do change, my wife's 2.0 liter 4 cyl Ford Edge puts out the same hp and 10 less ft. Lbs. as my 4.6 V8 Explorer. I'm with you though, hesitant to describe trailer towing as not even knowing its back there. Unless the trailer is really tiny, you should feel it back there. I don't think there is a non commercial tow vehicle on the market that wouldn't have longer braking distances with a 2,000 lb trailer attached.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:
Fordlover wrote:
rexlion wrote:
I have the similarly-sized Toyota Highlander (2008) and have towed with it for around 140,000 of its total 162,000 miles. The HL acts like it could go for another 162K. Not bad for a "car".

I imagine the Traverse and its sisters should be able to do about the same... despite the disadvantage of being GM products, lol. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Zing!

Just think how many of this vehicle they would be selling if they still had Oldsmobile, Pontiac, SAAB, Saturn, Hummer etc. to prostitute the platform with badge engineering.

What's wrong with badge engineering ? Back in the 1960's my uncle and dad bought a new 1968 Mercury M 250 as their shop truck.

It was exactly the same as a '68 Ford F 250 and both would do the job.

It didn't matter whether it had a Mercury or Ford nameplate. It was a great truck...even though you might dismiss our old Merc, because it was badge engineered.

I don't understand your concern.

What made you think I was concerned about badge engineering? I was simply longing for those 'great' brands of yester year....
But I suppose you do have a point, if all those badge engineered vehicles were so great, why aren't they still around? Mercury, Plymouth, oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saab, etc. have all gone the way of the dodo bird.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

easycamper
Explorer
Explorer
MegaCab_PL wrote:
I am very skeptical and wish people were more honest when saying that they do not even know the trailer is back there. Are you kidding me ? You hook up a 3500 lbs trailer to a CUV with a 3.6 v6 and maybe on a flat road or downhill it may be easy on the car, but moving from a stop sign, or uphill those Lambdas need to work.
My Explorer with 4.6 v8 and "book" towing capacity of 7100 knows when I even pull 4000 behind me.

Not everyone necessarily means the same thing when they say "can't feel it back there". They may mean acceleration, they may mean how it handles.

And don't forget that engine technology has advanced. This is a direct-injected V6 we're talking about. I'm sure it moves from a stop sign just fine.
2015 F-150 5.0L SuperCab 4WD 3.55
2013 Springdale 253FWRLLS
People like to make generalizations.

ckwizard777
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed my 22 foot pontoon boat behind my wifes 2010 Acadia with the tow package and it does a better job than my previous 1500 with the 4.3.
Ken & Deb
2008 Montana 3400
2007 Chevy 3500HD CC,LB Dually 8.1

MegaCab_PL
Explorer
Explorer
Tahoe is more expensive, but it is a solid towing platform. It suffers in the third row seating comfort since it got that in 2000 thru 2014. Even 2015 is not much improvement.

On the other hand, the newer Traverse, new Acadias with those head lights, and Enclaves are extremely nice vehicles with plenty of room (more than Tahoe that I had in the past).

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
bucky wrote:
It's a soccer mom vehicle if they can't or won't buy a Escalde/Denali/Tahoe. They are wonderful people movers, I'll leave it at that.

Not all soccer moms want that big of a vehicle, my retired soccer wife did not. Surprisingly, there's not a big difference in price between a Tahoe and Traverse. A loaded Traverse is about $42K sticker.

Having said that, we have the Tundra for towing and the Traverse to serve as people mover. It's a pretty good grocery getter too although my Tundra will hold more groceries and more cases of beer.

I would disagree on them being close. A loaded Traverse might be $42k (my reasonably optioned one was way less), but a base Tahoe starts there and a loaded Tahoe can top $70k. Even then it will only tow a couple thousand more pounds than the Traverse. It's certainly not a giant leap in towing capability for such a giant leap in price.

Hence, when my Traverse lease is up, I will be going back to a crew cab truck with a good tonneau cover.

I will have the seating I need, much more towing capacity, and a dry bed for storage. All for a little more than the Traverse, but less than a Tahoe.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fordlover wrote:
rexlion wrote:
I have the similarly-sized Toyota Highlander (2008) and have towed with it for around 140,000 of its total 162,000 miles. The HL acts like it could go for another 162K. Not bad for a "car".

I imagine the Traverse and its sisters should be able to do about the same... despite the disadvantage of being GM products, lol. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Zing!

Just think how many of this vehicle they would be selling if they still had Oldsmobile, Pontiac, SAAB, Saturn, Hummer etc. to prostitute the platform with badge engineering.

What's wrong with badge engineering ? Back in the 1960's my uncle and dad bought a new 1968 Mercury M 250 as their shop truck.

It was exactly the same as a '68 Ford F 250 and both would do the job.

It didn't matter whether it had a Mercury or Ford nameplate. It was a great truck...even though you might dismiss our old Merc, because it was badge engineered.

I don't understand your concern.

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
Search outlook, Acadia, traverse, enclave timing chain problems. Also look up how to change a headlight bulb on one. Not sure about the new ones, but older models the procedure was to remove the front wheels and fender liners, unbolt the fuse box, remove front bumper and grill to change the bulbs.
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
2500HDee wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
easycamper wrote:
bucky wrote:
It's a soccer mom vehicle if they can't or won't buy a Escalde/Denali/Tahoe. They are wonderful people movers, I'll leave it at that.

Or if they won't buy a minivan, which are better people movers and just as good for towing. But good for GM that they sell so many of them.

The minivan is the best people mover ever conceived, the wife had a Caravan many years ago, it's just no soccer moms want to be seen in them anymore.

The lambdas are minivans without the sliding door. 3 rows of seats with seating for 8 and front or all wheel drive. They are not trucks and aren't really marketed as them.

Actually, the Traverse is deceptively long, about the same length as a minivan but with a more sloping roofline and third row seating. The 3 main contenders in this segment are the Highlander, Traverse, and Explorer.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"