cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acura MDX tow vehicle

orange_jordy
Explorer
Explorer
In the fall we sold our truck with the intent of buying a new truck this spring. Since then I lost my job, I found a new job, but now our fincial circumstances do not allow us to buy a new vehicle. So the wife has a 2011 Acura MDX with the factory tow package, which I do believe is rated at 5000 lbs max. I know it won't tow our current rv, so we are considering trading it in on either a very small hard sided camper or a hybrid that land in the 3500 lb gvwr range. My question is anyone else out there towing a similar set up, how does it handle a trailer of any size that falls within its specs. We did look at a couple of Jayco Jay Feather SLX models on the weekend, but are unsure if we should take the plunge. I know all the marketing hype targeted at the suv/crossover/minivan crowd is tough to sort through so I thought I would ask for some real life experience.
5 REPLIES 5

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Trail Manor(?)might also be worth looking at. Low profile, easy to set up, hard sided.

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
Think pop-up camper...

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
An R-Pod would be just right for that MDX.

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
I lost an automatic transmission back in 1977 because I did not add an aftermarket transmission cooler .
I paid to have the tranny rebuilt and then bought the extra cooler .
MDX is a great suv .
A Chalet or Aliner is a very good choice for that size of suv .
My widow neighbor lady has one and it is the most used RV in the neighborhood .
She sets it up in 10 minutes .
And stores it in her 3rd garage stall .

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
just a warning about those 3500lbs. GVWR TT' or HTT's.
nearly all have terrible cargo capacity amounts, because you can only get a trailer so light that something has to be sacrificed.

many will have, after everything else has been deducted, less than 200lbs. of cargo capacity.

just realize that if you get a trailer in this range, you'll have very little cargo capacity to carry anything other than the basics.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes