cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just a "Thank You" :)

Orcusomega
Explorer
Explorer
Last fall, my wife and I got TT, and I've done a lot of reading here and online, and got a lot of information, fearing that if I didn't get this right, the family wouldn't be as interested as I was in making this work. Boy was I wrong!

Since we got started, the kids want to go out just about every weekend, and surprisingly, the Mrs does too :). So far, we already have 18 nights this session, with another 35 or so already reserved ๐Ÿ™‚

I made some mistakes, some expensive (TV weight, blah blah), but the family LOVES camping all over the place. Since we dewinterized it, more than 1/2 our weekends have been spent camping, including an 1800 mile trip around the NE over memorial day.

My wife's idea of roughing it is a fancy hotel, but she is really getting into the different cool things we can do for a lot less money than we would spend just for one week at the shore, so much so that I already traded my 32' 2006 Prowler for a 35' 2013 Forest River :). (Aside from being newer, much much better floor plan for us, and since we're really enjoying this, better to not have issues on the road, etc with an older unit, since there were some things I was already going to need to start working on... )

So for all the info you've shared, either directly with me or just posting and talking with others, it's really given me the info I've needed to really get a great family tradition started - Thanks!

Bob
2013 Forest River Surveyor Select 305 SV
2011 F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD
9 REPLIES 9

Orcusomega
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed, I call them mistakes when they happen (usually a lot fewer letters, usually only 3 or 4 ๐Ÿ™‚ ) but in retrospect they are good lessons - so far everything has been learned before the "oh cr@p!" moment ๐Ÿ™‚

I will definitely keep active here and appreciate all the time everyone takes to share with us newbies ๐Ÿ™‚

Bob
2013 Forest River Surveyor Select 305 SV
2011 F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD

PacNWChris
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed! They're not "mistakes," they're "learning opportunities!" A few years ago, in a different TT, we made the mistake of leaving an awning out during a *perfectly* calm day. The weather changed while we were away wine tasting. The awning didn't make it. Luckily no damage to the trailer. I know we weren't the first RV owners to lose an awning, and won't be the last! ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh, and rear kitchen models need to be loaded properly to have enough weight on the tongue!
2014 F350 Platinum 6.7L Power Stroke
2015 Salem Hemisphere Lite 282RK
ProPride 3P Hitch

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing like hearing about others that love camping as much as we do.

Thanks much for posting.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your new family hobby and as you've found out, there's nothing like sleeping in your own bed. No more hotels for me; YUK!!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Building great memories. Lots of kids who go camping continue to camp as adults. What a great gift.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you did it right! Enjoy the travel and family time. Before you know it, the kids will have other interests.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

MorMJS
Explorer
Explorer
Thats good to know, Ive only been here a few days and im really finding some good info and ideas.
TV- 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 crew cab 4x4 6.7L CTD, 2" lift on 35x12.5" Toyo MTs, S&B CAI
New TT 2016 Keystone Bullet 272BHSWE Fastaway E2 WDH, Tekonsha Primus IQ brake controller
Old TT- 2014 Rockwood MiniLite 2502s

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
don't look at it as mistakes, look at it as a learning curve. I like to think of our family trips were wonderful. now that our kids are married and on their own, they now are teaching their children the joys of camping. our learning curve was right on if you ask me.

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Building family memories through camping is a great way to send your time.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73