cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding Better Reverse Lights on a Camper

thundercloud
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone every installed a set of reverse lights on their camper. I was thinking of adding some powerful LED lights from Rigid Industries or Black Oak LED. Wiring them in will be the biggest task. Any suggestions?
Happy TC'N,
David

thundercloud
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR

That is a cool idea.
Happy TC'N,
David

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the backup lights on my Lance with these.

Got them on Amazon. 27 Watts each. These particular lights donโ€™t appear to be available any longer, but there are others like them.

I gutted the reverse light section of the taillights, fabricated a metal cover to replace the lens, and mounted the LED light to them.

t

Many times brighter than the old Halogen bulbs.

Between them and the LED docking lights, I can back into the darkest campsite, .........

Or my own garage when we arrive back home after dark. The garage door lift for the RV bay doesnโ€™t have a light on it like a normal residential lift does, so it can be pretty dark inside.

I like them, theyโ€™re awsome!

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have one of these. Works well and pretty simple.

7 pin backup light

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are plenty of inexpensive and powerful LED lights. I would only wire them with an independent switch and use them only in campgrounds.

I have never seen the need. Maybe I would change my mind if I could find a decent rear view camera system that actually allowed me to see well and judge distances.

dirtyhandz
Explorer
Explorer
I have the wife stand on the back step with a mag lite.

Paradox123
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted two 45 W halogen โ€œtractor lightsโ€ on the rear of my camper to the side of the jacks. They are wired directly to the back-up lights of the camper. They really light things up when backing into a space after dark. If I was buying today, I would get LEDs.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
skipro3 wrote:
Photomike wrote:
I was going to add an electric dump valve on my TCer so I could open the back tank dump when someone was tailgating, I don't think DOT has a rule for that one :B :h :S

What a brilliant idea!

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Valterra/E40A-8.html

As they say a Flush beats a Full house :B
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Photomike wrote:
I was going to add an electric dump valve on my TCer so I could open the back tank dump when someone was tailgating, I don't think DOT has a rule for that one :B :h :S

What a brilliant idea!

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Valterra/E40A-8.html

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
I know, right? Got the DOT backup lamp cops out today......bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do?

I 100% agree with the DOT code for rear lighting and it should be strictly enforced!!!!! You do not want to blind someone that is following too close. Of course I was going to add an electric dump valve on my TCer so I could open the back tank dump when someone was tailgating, I don't think DOT has a rule for that one :B :h :S

I had a couple LED's on the TCer wired up to the dash on the truck, they could have been stronger but they at least added some more light for the back up camera and when setting up camp.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Bedlam wrote:
My toy hauler had dual 55w halogen floods on the rear for loading toys in the dark.... Today, I would probably use a LED light bar on a three way switch so it is slaved off the reversed circuit, manually off or manually on.

That's how I wired up some lights on my small cargo trailer.

I had a switch inside the rear cargo doors, on the wall.
It was on ON-OFF-ON switch.

I had two sources of power coming to it:
One source was from truck backup lights.
Other source was from trailer batteries.
Middle terminal on switch went to the lights.

I used Rigid Dually diffused lens floods.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Bedlam
My toy hauler had dual 55w halogen floods on the rear for loading toys in the dark or when using the ramp as a deck. They were only accessible to turn on or off from within trailer. Today, I would probably use a LED light bar on a three way switch so it is slaved off the reversed circuit, manually off or manually on.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ScottG wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Don't tell the DOT, but my lights are manually switched. I like to see behind the trailer, even if my trans is in park or drive, for purposes of lining up in a site for example.

Same here and I couldn't possibly care less what any DOT says.

I know, right? Got the DOT backup lamp cops out today......bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
I put a pair of clear "fog lamps" on the rear bumper of my Bronco for backing the duck boat down dark ramps when we get on the water way before dawn. I aimed them to give me a fairly wide field of illumination so I can see the whole ramp area. Mine are just wired into a hot lead with a toggle switch under the dash.
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft