cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air bags or "Bump Stop" type suspension

mexmahon
Explorer
Explorer
I'm towing a 2020 Grand Design, 10500# (when fully loaded) 30' fiver with a pin weight topping out around 1900#. The tow rig is a 2014 F250 6.7 diesel super cab with 6 3/4 bed. The truck squats just a bit when I haul and just want to get it up to level. I've been shopping the Air Lift 7200 bags with the remote and on board compressor, and the Timbren brand "bump stops". Any feedback on either or both out there? Thanks.
19 REPLIES 19

manley
Explorer
Explorer
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
I have Timbrens on my Ram 2500. There is just under 3/4" gap between the spring perch and the rubber. For the most part I'm very happy with the Timbrens because the truck rides absolutely level even with full loads on the 5er hitch or gooseneck.

The one negative is when I hit bumps enough to compress the coil springs you you can definitely feel the perch hit the rubber. From time to time I've considered removing the Timbrens and going to air bags.

KJ

Yes, this describes it perfectly. With the Timbrens on a light duty truck, both loaded and unloaded ride quality are DEFINITELY compromised.
2021 F250 XLT FX4 SCREW Godzilla 7.3L
Hensley Arrow
2017 Open Range Light 272RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
spud1957 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
You are saying your 250 sets lower in the rear than the front when hitched?

If so air bags are the BEST option, air to get truck "LEVEL" not unloaded stance!!!

If stock shocks add Bilstein's. This combo you WILL thank me.

Sad a 250 needs help with that little pin.

Just about all Ford's do! Even on the F450 review fish posted, the owner installed airbags.

OP, bag it and don't look back!

How about a 3500 Ram dually that comes with air bags. Kinds hypocritical calling it sad that a 250 needs bags

In YOUR mind.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
I have Timbrens on my Ram 2500. There is just under 3/4" gap between the spring perch and the rubber. For the most part I'm very happy with the Timbrens because the truck rides absolutely level even with full loads on the 5er hitch or gooseneck.

The one negative is when I hit bumps enough to compress the coil springs you you can definitely feel the perch hit the rubber. From time to time I've considered removing the Timbrens and going to air bags.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

If so air bags are the BEST option, air to get truck "LEVEL" not unloaded stance!!!

Just about all Ford's do! Even on the F450 review fish posted, the owner installed airbags.

How about a 3500 Ram dually that comes with air bags. Kinds hypocritical calling it sad that a 250 needs bags
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

manley
Explorer
Explorer
manley wrote:
mexmahon wrote:
I'm towing a 2020 Grand Design, 10500# (when fully loaded) 30' fiver with a pin weight topping out around 1900#. The tow rig is a 2014 F250 6.7 diesel super cab with 6 3/4 bed. The truck squats just a bit when I haul and just want to get it up to level. I've been shopping the Air Lift 7200 bags with the remote and on board compressor, and the Timbren brand "bump stops". Any feedback on either or both out there? Thanks.

I’ve had both. Currently have the Timbrens, and about to replace them with bags.

Put the airlift ride control on today, took timbren off. Instant improvement!
2021 F250 XLT FX4 SCREW Godzilla 7.3L
Hensley Arrow
2017 Open Range Light 272RLS

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would go with the 2,000lb air bags. That is all you need and won't have nearly as much impact on ride quality when empty. Overkill on springs means a rough empty ride. Even if the springs are deflated air bags. I have 5k airbags on one truck and 2k airbags on another. I much prefer the one with smaller bags. The main issue with the 2k bags is that they are not compatible with a gooseneck hitch but I think that you would be OK with a 5th wheel.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

The current gen Fords are better. Every 450 I’ve seen towing a DRW had to have bags. Even then one guy was still looking for something more due to bouncing.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

freetime58
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
I have Timbrens on my 1500.

The advantages they have are that they require no maintenance, don't leak, and are set it and forget it. They are a simple 15 min install, and are progressive and work well. They are also cheaper to buy than airbags.

The disadvantages they have is that they are not adjustable.

Airbags are adjustable for load, but can leak (will leak eventually) and require a more complicated install.

There are other options too, such as Roadmaster Active Suspension, and add a leaf systems.

12 years and not one leak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have Timbrens on my 1500.

The advantages they have are that they require no maintenance, don't leak, and are set it and forget it. They are a simple 15 min install, and are progressive and work well. They are also cheaper to buy than airbags.

The disadvantages they have is that they are not adjustable.

Airbags are adjustable for load, but can leak (will leak eventually) and require a more complicated install.

There are other options too, such as Roadmaster Active Suspension, and add a leaf systems.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

freetime58
Explorer
Explorer
Currently on my third GMC truck (in the last 12 years) with Firestone RideRite air bags with their Air Command compressor system on-board. The previous two trucks had digital gauges and a switch under dash to inflate/deflate the bags.......my current system has a wireless remote control used to inflate/deflate the bags. Love it!!! You can stand several yards away from your TV, eyeball the truck, inflate/deflate the bags using the remote until she sits level...........

Over the last 12 years the systems I have had preformed flawlessly, performed as they should......IMO, great product, no drill installation making them so easy to install yourself with just common hand/power tools.

Running empty with only 10 lbs in the bags so as to not damage them (recommended by manufacturer) with no effect on ride/handling, they have been up as high as 85 lbs depending on the situation but typically 30-55 lbs is the range I most often use, no matter they provide improved performance to ride, stability and handling............I never leave home with out them!!!!

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Firestone bags on my F250.

Because they are adjustable and when I dump the air, I get pretty close to stock ride.

Bedlam
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I found my Ford did not engage overload springs until there was rear squat. Since the F250 sits 2" lower in the rear than the F350, it is even more pronounced. This was why I suggested preloading the OEM overloads before adding more suspension - It can handle more weight, but just engages later in the travel resulting in squat. My OEM suspension with the upper overloads that come with the camper package was able handle 4000 lbs payload but had to be preloaded if you did not want squat.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
At stock height, I never needed any kind of suspension aids to keep my 2014 2500 CTD from squatting. My 14k 5ver made it perfectly level.

After I leveled the front end, I still didn't need it for most of my trailers like my 6k cattle trailer, but the 5ver made it squat. I didn't want to go with Timbrens because they have made the rider harsher on past vehicles. I didn't want to go with air backs because I use this truck off road and I didn't want anything I had to maintain.

I went with Sumosprings Rebels "blue" kit with a 1 inch spacer. They are a two piece design that separate when my axle is articulated off road, and they make for a much softer rife than Timbrens. They actually made the ride softer than stock and the truck sits level again with my 5ver.

They make a "black" kit that has a higher load rating, but also is a much stiffer ride. In my opinion, they are not needed for most people here unless you have a trailer hooked up 24/7. This kit is equal to Timbrens in regards to stiffness.

Here is an article about them in Trailerlife.com.

SumoSprings Rebel: Bumpy Road Equalizer
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS