cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Cond set to "auto" or "on"?

hogcard
Explorer
Explorer
So today we downsized, trading on our Cougar 29RLS for a new Jayco 24T. During the service walk-through in the new TT, the serviceman specifically said to always leave the AC on auto and high fan.

It was my understanding reading several topics on this in past that you should always have the AC set to "on" instead of auto to keep air moving at all times.

He said if we do this, the condenser will not cycle like it should and will freeze up. I thought just the opposite. I thought having the AC cycle on a off did not allow enough air to circulate thus causing condensation and freeze up.

What do I do? The wife likes the auto and I like always on because I like the noise of the AC running all night and drowning out noise, etc.
21 REPLIES 21

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Wall thermostat or ceiling controls? What brand air unit?

Akeru
Explorer
Explorer
I use the auto during the day, but at night I leave it on. If I don't, when it kicks on, it wakes us and the constant noise helps us sleep and drowns out any outside noise. I have done this 4 summers now and my Jayco is a 2006....no problems.

Read the manual and see what it says.

hogcard
Explorer
Explorer
I like the white noise also, and just like you guys, in my Cougar we ran on "auto" in the daytime. Never froze up on us at night running on "on". But since my wife heard the service guy say this, I am going to have a hard time getting her to allow me to run "on" at night anymore.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
My last TT had A/C that was either on or off, with manual dial for temperature. So it ran constantly. The new TT is digital thermostat, so it allows me to run it just like home, with A/C only kicking on when needed. It took until our second trip to figure that out, though.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
During the day we use the auto setting on our Puma 25RS at night we use the on setting because the DW likes to have the air flow. I told her I was not going to install a ceiling fan. No problems with ours in two years, last year the temps were in the 90-100 range when we camp for a week, no freeze ups. In the on mode, the fan is running all the time.
Mark

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Auto just like at home. It will on/off as needed.
Why would you want to listen to noisy A/C unit. Same if it has a Heat Pump.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I leave mine on auto during the day. If it's hot out it never shuts down anyway. While sleeping o leave it on because it keeps temps consistent and white noise helps us sleep.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.