cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air conditioning question

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer
Why don't they make an air conditioner that acts like a car unit?
In other words, set the temp, digitally.
Initially, it would blow very strongly as it cools the coach, but then as the temp is achieved it would scale back and blow more gently, and quietly.
Is there such a unit???
8 REPLIES 8

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
Well any good redneck would just put a mini split 9k-12k heat pump
in the camper with the compressor on the rear bumper and the
indoor unit above the dinette.
Like this guy.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The systems exist for years, but I think there is no demand for high-end units in RV AC production.
My 10 years old refrigerator has inverter-run, variable output compressor, so the same technology should be a breeze to adapt in AC.
But.. my refrigerator cost $6000 about 10 years ago, so compare what average refrigerator cost at the time.
Would you pay similar steep price for your AC?

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
But, pretty cheap to build a two speed AC motor.

RV air conditioners sell at a considerable premium to a similar sized window unit. I just don't think anybody (manufacturers) are being asked for it. I have a two speed furnace and it is great, but you rarely see them installed by RV builders.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
It's really cheap and easy to change the speed of a DC motor in your auto AC. It's much more expensive and difficult to change the speed of an AC motor. This is normally done with a variable frequency drive. Adding such a capability to an RV AC unit would add a lot of cost for not much benefit, just a little less noise.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
There are different kinds of thermostats. I suppose you could create one that could control all functions. My solution to lower power is to buy a lower power AC. 🙂

The issue isn't just the thermostat. There's only compressor on and off and 2 fan speeds. Automotive A/C have multi-speed fans and blend doors.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are different kinds of thermostats. I suppose you could create one that could control all functions. My solution to lower power is to buy a lower power AC. 🙂

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of us would not be willing to pay what it cost.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Or more efficient like most windows units.