cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alaska to Oregon: first trip with our new rig!

Arktikos
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoying our new (to us) 8' Adventurer! Left Alaska 12 days ago and are now in the Portland Oregon area. The first 3 nights were spent in the lower Yukon and upper British Columbia driving down part of the Alcan and South down the Cassiar Hwy. We were in the single digits F with spectacular northern lights displays for the first 2 nights. After that we had to push the next few days as there were no open parks and very limited places to pull off the road. After coming back into the US we spent the next few nights in N.W.Washington at state and county parks, very nice! After a trip into downtown Seattle for a Dr appointment we headed south to visit relatives in the Portland area. This coming Monday we will start our return to Alaska, this time traveling through the Gorge and up through the Okanogan, and then to the Alaska hwy starting at Dawson Creek.

Our little camper has worked out well but space is tight for my wife and I and our Australian Shepherd. The fridge, furnace, all systems work perfectly. We decided to pick up some RV specific items which we found in a Camping World where we became Good Sam members! The first 3 nights of the trip we left our Honda generator run all night as the RV batt was weak. Now with a new battery I suspect we could get by without the generator except for the all important coffee pot!
Here is a picture of our new rig. It's a 2006 Chevrolet 2500HD with a 6.0 Vortec and handles the little Adventurer camper with ease.

18 REPLIES 18

Arktikos
Explorer
Explorer
dakonthemountain wrote:
What a wonderful "adventure"!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I'm glad you had such a memorable trip (and yes... I hope the Dr. visits were successful and non stress producing! ) Thank you for sharing your wonderful trip with us! I SO hope to come up your way after December when I retire!! Kudos to you for the fun you allowed yourselves to have! ๐Ÿ™‚

Dak

Thanks, was a great trip, and the Dr visit was a big relief so all is well and as it should be. Was pretty interesting driving the camper through downtown Seattle, at least for me being from Alaska I don't have much experience in city driving (thank God for GPS!) , plus the streets seemed too narrow, but we survived that!

Congrats on your soon to be retirement! Enjoy your freedom and many great adventures.

Arktikos
Explorer
Explorer
MORSNOW wrote:
Thank you for sharing your pictures at the end of your trip. Any truck camper is a nice little camper when you can enjoy the backcountry! I look forward to hearing/seeing more of your adventures.

Thanks Moresnow, Looking forward to be heading up your way this summer sometime!

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
What a wonderful "adventure"!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I'm glad you had such a memorable trip (and yes... I hope the Dr. visits were successful and non stress producing! ) Thank you for sharing your wonderful trip with us! I SO hope to come up your way after December when I retire!! Kudos to you for the fun you allowed yourselves to have! ๐Ÿ™‚

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Thank you for sharing your pictures at the end of your trip. Any truck camper is a nice little camper when you can enjoy the backcountry! I look forward to hearing/seeing more of your adventures.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Arktikos
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Crumm and trackhead! Just got back to Haines this afternoon. No internet in Canada. We had a great trip, slept in the camper every night except for 4 nights in Portland. Mostly stayed in WA state parks along the east side of the Cascades and in Canada managed to find places to park well off the road for free. Forest service roads in BC are a great place to get way off the highway and are dead quiet. In WA the BLM had great off hwy camping and exploring! In Canada forest service roads were pretty easy to spot if you were looking, but some areas were just non existent tho. The section between Ft Saint John to about 50 miles south of Ft Nelson were off limits because of all the oil and gas activity going on both sides of the road. After that it was good boonie camping all the way to Watson Lake and beyond. Had a great soak at Liard Hot Springs and then found a nice plowed back road that took us way back and onto the old Alcan hwy.

A great hiking place is Umtanum trail off Hwy 821 north out of Yakima.

Okanogan back country road up around Conconully NW of Omak:

Off road camping along the Alaska Hwy in northern BC:

The folded mountains near Muncho lake is a fascinating place if you are into geology and seeing plate tectonics in action!

It was a great trip, love the little Adventurer camper!

Crumm
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a blast. Have a good trip.
2015 F350 SuperDuty, SC, LB Torklift hitch and tie-downs, LT285/75R18 Toyo AT II 4080@80psi
96' F350 PSD with smoke added, Airbags, Trailmaster SSV shocks, 315/75R16 Toyo M/T, Centering guides.
06' Adventurer 90FWS

trackhead
Explorer
Explorer
Nice! We are driving from AZ to Ketchikan over a month starting May 3. Hope to get up to northern AK at some point.

Arktikos
Explorer
Explorer
Hi tc folk, we have left the Portland area and are at the jct of WA state 14 and US 97 on the north side of the Columbia river at lovely state park at Maryhill. We will be slowly heading north from here, be home in Haines AK in a week or so.
Our faithful rig and steadfast doggie!

Arktikos
Explorer
Explorer
sharkman wrote:
Really nice TC, I like it, wife wants a hard side now and it would be great to find one like that, thanks for sharing pic.

Thanks sharkman, I really like this camper and should work well for our specific plans. On a trip like we are now on we probably would appreciate more space and a bathroom, but most of our use will be in the boonies of AK and Northern Canada where dump station facilities can be scarce . Also we sometimes travel on the Alaska Ferry and one of the cutoffs for length is 21 feet (the ext cab Chevy is 20'6").anything over 21' is not as simple to book tickets online and costs considerably more. We also plan to do winter camping trips so this rig with just a Porta potty will be easier to use. I also like having a tailgate to stand up on and strap on a cooler or tote etc.

sharkman
Explorer
Explorer
Really nice TC, I like it, wife wants a hard side now and it would be great to find one like that, thanks for sharing pic.
Camper: 2005 Lance Lite 815
Truck: 2003 Dodge Ram Loramie 3500HD, CTD, DRW, Q/C, L/B, Draw-Tite Front Hitch
Boat: 1985 Alumacraft Trophy 175 - Evinrude 90 HP

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've been seeing lots of pictures of the northern lights as friends are in small towns near the arctic circle. They are out in force.

Arktikos
Explorer
Explorer
pjay9 wrote:
You are doing well and nice report! Just have some good fun! Hope Doc appointment was meaningful. Drive safe...you will enjoy Eastern WA, too. Where are you crossing back into CND?

Thanks! Been staying with my BIL in Portland in their spare room but I gotta say I am getting antsy to get back in the camper and on the road again. We're thinking of going back into Canada via US 97 thru Osoyoos never been through that way before.

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
You are doing well and nice report! Just have some good fun! Hope Doc appointment was meaningful. Drive safe...you will enjoy Eastern WA, too. Where are you crossing back into CND?
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

Arktikos
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfootchevy wrote:
Nice rig, looks like the truck and camper were made for each other.

I cannot believe "you" have come from Alaska to the lower 48 and will soon be back in Alaska and due to snow in this part of Canada I haven't got off the couch yet.

Paul

In my area of Alaska we hardly got any snow this year, all went East! Had a few Canadians along the way express the same thoughts as you! We were going to fly out to the Seattle doctor appointment but this rig came up and we were itching to try it out! Cabin fever for you..