cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aluminum vs Fiberglass

Roadhound_64
Explorer
Explorer
Hello.....I am looking to buy a travel trailer. I have previously own 2 Fiberglass units. I saw a program on TV talking about RV's and the person was saying aluminum trailers were better in a lighting strike than fiberglass.
I would like to know what is the pro & con of the two.Thanks for your wisdom & knowledge.
55 REPLIES 55

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
My KZ smooth side trailer has a trivial amount of aluminum framework. Apparently the cold aluminum promotes condensation as the fiber glass coating on the exterior acts like a vapor barrier in reverse. That moisture has rusted the screws and rotted the thin exterior paneling. I am currently trying to devise a way fix this junk. Just so you know, this trailer is always indoors except when being used. If you think that a wood frame trailer rots and smooth side does not, think again.

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
We went with Aluminum as our choice. The issue of lighting never crossed out minds on it.
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The old stick and tin trailers can be really heavy.
Aluminum framing is stronger and lighter and not subject to rot. Aluminum framed trailers usually have fiberglass siding.
My next trailer will definitely have aluminum framing and probably fiberglass siding. It saves a lot of weight.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Roadhound 64 wrote:
Hello.....I am looking to buy a travel trailer. I have previously own 2 Fiberglass units. I saw a program on TV talking about RV's and the person was saying aluminum trailers were better in a lighting strike than fiberglass.
I would like to know what is the pro & con of the two.Thanks for your wisdom & knowledge.

This is as important a consideration to me as which unit would be best on the moon.

If you can swing the airstream, why not. Everywhere else, the fiberglass is considered an upgrade over the aluminum walled TT that I've seen.

Personally I think the fiberglass is easier to clean, wax, and keep caulked due to the smooth surface and joints.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
I'm more afraid of delamination than I am lightning. We went back to stick and tin with our latest TT.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Lightning is the last thing I'd worry about.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
donn0128 wrote:
Buy what you like. Personally I like smooth sides for ease of cleaning.

Cleaning isn't really an issue but most 10yr old fiberglass units get really chaulky unless you really keep up on the compounding/waxing. Aluminum paint tends to stay nice and shiny with minimal effort.

Most it's about preference though.

If lightning strikes a direct hit, neither will fare well.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personal choice of course.. I like the smooth side fiberglass myself..

When I was a kid, I hated washing the family trailer.. It was the corrugated aluminum siding and hated waxing it even more! Thanks Dad! ๐Ÿ™‚

But loved the times we always had in it for sure...

That's why I always wanted my own RV when I could get one..

Since I still have to wash and wax it (no kids) I chose the smooth side. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
In my experience, the pros of metal are ease of repair and easier to keep looking shiny.

The downsides are it just looks older (or classic if you prefer) and it's harder to seal windows and stuff because of the corrugation.

Theoretically I can see the advantage of metal in a lightning strike, but at the same time it seems like metal would be more likely to get hit in the first place. but either way, that's such a remote possibility I wouldn't consider it a factor.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I think the odds of your trailer being struck by lightning while youโ€™re in it are pretty slim.

Iโ€™ve had both, a previous aluminum sided trailer and now a fiberglass. Iโ€™ve heard the argument before that the fiberglass is easier to clean, but truthfully donโ€™t see a difference in that respect.

One disadvantage of the fiberglass is the potential for delamination.

I would say pick a floor plan that suits your needs and donโ€™t worry about the siding.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy what you like. Personally I like smooth sides for ease of cleaning.