Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I Calculating This Correctly?? Silverado 1500

scardillo59
Explorer
Explorer
First post so please be gentle...

I have a 2016 Silverado 1500 with a 5.3L V8 and the 3.42 gear box. Full crew cab, short bed and 2WD. The dealership I bought it from said the following:

Vehicle Weight: 4,700 lbs
Towing Capacity: 9,400 lbs
GCWR: 12,000 lbs
Tongue Weight: 1,200

We are in the process of purchasing a travel trailer that weighs 6,192 without any camping supplies or other stuff in it. If I am calculating it based on towing I come up with the following:

9,400 lbs-6,912 lbs(trailer),-550lbs (family weight),-1,000 lbs (supplies-we won't fill the tanks), -619 lbs (tongue weight) =319 to spare.

If I am using the GCWR of 12,000 lbs then I subtract all that and the truck and I am in the negative. Is that correct? I was going to use a WDH (Equalizer) as well.

Are the above numbers correct? If so, then game over on that trailer.

Thanks!

Steve
48 REPLIES 48

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
With that gear ratio it won't tow great, but it is possible. A good WD hitch would help.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
No. You need to know the payload rating of your truck, found on the tire inflation sticker inside the door jamb. Then, subtract the trailer tongue weight, family, and any cargo in the truck. Also subtract 100 lb for the weight of the WD hitch. If you have anything left over, then you are not over your payload.

The tow rating number refers to only the trailer weight. With a half ton, you will exceed the payload limit before you reach the tow rating number.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

yillb
Explorer
Explorer
your numbers are semi correct. GVWR is 12000lbs, then subtract the curb weight of the truck, which is 4700, this gives you 7300 pounds for max towing, even without getting into the payload, you're already going to be right at max towing when you start putting stuff in. It won't seem like you can't get 1k worth of **** into the camper.. but you will, even if you try not to. That aside though, lets look at the more important numbers. You did not list your GVWR ( which is the most important number ), so lets look at that, I believe yours is 7200 pounds, to get payload you subtract actual weight from GVWR in your case, 7200 - 4700 == 2500 , that seems awefully high, either the curb weight is wrong ( 4700 ), or GVWR is wrong ( the one I found on my own ), go get this number from the doorjam inside your truck. IF all these numbers are correct, that means you will be well within your limits of the truck on payload / carrying capacity, but will be right at the actual towing capacity. I've done this long enough to know though, the payload seems way to high IMO. That said, get the GVWR and let us know and we can tell you for sure.

The 5.3 Is an OLD outdated motor, that makes pretty horrible power either way, that putting 7k behind it in the hills will make you want to bite your nails off.

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
You don't include tongue weight for GCWR. I would say your truck is good to go.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"