cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And the smokey glass stove cover is no more

jdtrotter
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, what a LOUD noise that glass cover made as it exploded into 92000 tiny glass pieces. Transition eye glasses stay dark for quite a while when one walks into a warm trailer from the snowy outside. And we wanted to get the water going for cooking the rice. It was brown rice for health reasons. If it had been white rice, we may have waited longer, glasses would have cleared so we would have noticed that smokey glass cover was down before turning on the burner. So yes, it is all the fault of health claims for brown rice. 😉

I secured the dogs and quietly assisted in cleaning up the glass as DH was doing an over the top job of verbally abusing himself. It seemed worse because our Nash 17k is only a few months old.
It is a three burner Fuirron stove and I started to look online for what to do. It seems that I mostly found that Furrion wants one to replace the entire stove top? It seems to me, that while we are having difficulty in seeing how the remaining back hinge is attached, one should be able to replace just the glass? While I am sure no one has done something like this, but maybe you have helped someone who has?

Thank you.

Diane
23 REPLIES 23

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just my opinion but .... DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ON THERE THAT WILL BURN. Those saying to put wood on there, very bad idea. A burner gets turned on under the wood next thing your camper is on fire. Either replace the glass or make a cover out of sheet metal.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I’m with Bobbo on the idea of a piece of cutting board, Or if you need something bigger, stop by a kitchen company that sells formica laminate countertops and ask nicely if you can have one of the sink cutout panels that they probably have a big stack of for disposal. You could then make a 1 inch lip around the bottom so it neatly stays in place around the cooktop
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Do not have a glass shop make a cover to save a few bucks. Those must be tempered glass for safety...shops cannot cut tempered.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
99.00 is not that bad.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

ggardne2
Explorer
Explorer
Is thsi what you are looking for?

Furion Top Glass

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
jdtrotter wrote:
I secured the dogs and quietly assisted in cleaning up the glass as DH was doing an over the top job of verbally abusing himself. It seemed worse because our Nash 17k is only a few months old.

I've been some new Nash units and didn't pay attention (notice) that they have a glass stove cover. My 17k (2015 model year) has a clunky old raised metal top that stick up about 1+" above the counter top.

You might be able to contact Furrion customer service and buy a new glass top.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I would go to a local automotive glass shop, with the dimensions, hinges and a picture of the stove top. They should be able to cut the glass, know how to attach the hinges and then have it tempered.
Tinting ? Cost ? Probably a lot less. If too much or not possible, go with the wooden cutting board, routered to prevent sliding.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd be very tempted to get a cutting board large enough to cover the stove top and rout out a depression on the bottom so it would sit on the stove sides without touching the burners. Even if you had to buy a router, it would be much cheaper. And, you could also still use it as a cutting board.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never trusted those glass tops.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad