cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Andersen WD Hitch on 4' Supertruss - Part 2

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
So, I posted a while back if anyone had any feedback on this new hitch I got before I took off on my first trip with it. Didn't get much direct feedback.

Well now, I can add some--WOW what a difference!! All the heaving and sway was completely gone. I was amazed!

Loaded up my F450 with my EC1160 and Wells Cargo trailer hauling my Jeep and my bike. I have a DOT scale near the house, stopped on the way home. 4,260 steer, 13,360 drive, Trlr 13,080 - just over 30k and it handled like a dream!
(The pic of the hitch itself was when I was rigging it up in my driveway, NOT driving--none of the safety chains or wires are connected - I was just getting the WD dialed in)

Andersen Hitches

'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo
11 REPLIES 11

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think I will try this one for my first ever WD hitch. Just pulling 5k but my cannon requires it for over 3300lbs.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
OK just googled this Anderson kit, going to research it a little more. I started with a 15k Curt WD hitch and it was garbage, it hogged itself out on the 2nd trip and neither Curt nor Etrailer were interest in helping me, blaming me for overloading it with my 9000# trailer. They've both lost a customer for life. I picked up a 15k Reese and have had zero issues with it after 5 trips. I just wonder if there's a compelling reason to switch to this style of hitch. I can see how it's designed.
2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Boatycall wrote:
Maybe this will help - take a look at this video. If you look closely, you'll see a slight angle in the trailer bars, and a matching angle in the chain square-tubes that match, and the allen-head locking bolt.

Youtube Video

I can't emphasize how much better it handles my trailer as heavy as it is on a 4foot extension. I'll be selling my old WD soon.

All the presentation shows the guides and chains either perfectly in-line, or close to it.
Yours show quite and angle and as owners who put some miles on them report - the wear is excessive.
When the design has it advantages, I see too many wearables with low life expectancy.
You also need jack the trailer and the truck rear to disconnect the bracket?
I'd keep the old bars just in case.
Lastly how about a picture of the bars when your truck rear sits in the ditch?

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
How much articulation is possible between the TV and trailer? (how much of an angle up and down before the springs bottom out). Usually I have to take WD off for off-roads

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this will help - take a look at this video. If you look closely, you'll see a slight angle in the trailer bars, and a matching angle in the chain square-tubes that match, and the allen-head locking bolt.

Youtube Video

I can't emphasize how much better it handles my trailer as heavy as it is on a 4foot extension. I'll be selling my old WD soon.
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:

I would shim under the lower bolt that holds the hitch to the trailer frame, this would take out some of the leaning angle that is causing the springs to point up in difference to the chains that are going parallel to the ground.
It's supposed to have that slight angle.
There are three points of attachment holding the brackets to the trailer frame.
1-That angle helps bind it in place, and the square tube where the chains go in also have a matching angle to level them out. The top and bottom of the bolts are pinched against the frame rails.
2-The bolts themselves clamping the brackets to the frame.
3-In the first pic, if you look closely, there is a lock bolt that also required drilling into the frame that also locks the brackets in place. You'll see the top and bottom clamping bolts, and a third one which is a large allen-head bolt going into a hole in the frame.
This is held in place much better than the previous WD hitch that simply had one lock bolt on the opposite side of the chain clamp.
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
From the look of that, there is narrow clamp to the frame, who has to hold 1000's of lb forces.
That looks like design flaw to me.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Nice set up.
We had a topic somewhere about those coil-springs WD bars and it was pointed that it is crucial that chains will go in-line with the bar sleeves.
your 1st picture shows them with visible angle.
I also think your front is too light as my F350 has it at 4800lb, but if it steers OK, that's what you care about.

Yes. Seems like there would be only a limited number of trailer frame heights (4,5 6 inch etc).
but

I would shim under the lower bolt that holds the hitch to the trailer frame, this would take out some of the leaning angle that is causing the springs to point up in difference to the chains that are going parallel to the ground.
A flat metal bar. I just saw some at Homedepot, and you can get them in aluminum or steel. This should cause the metal bracket to be more align, so the chains exit smoothly from the square tube the spring is attached to.

Nice rig.

truckpro
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah that Andersen Hitch is for sure the way to go!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Nice set up.
We had a topic somewhere about those coil-springs WD bars and it was pointed that it is crucial that chains will go in-line with the bar sleeves.
your 1st picture shows them with visible angle.
I also think your front is too light as my F350 has it at 4800lb, but if it steers OK, that's what you care about.

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
I had a number of folks telling me the 4ft extension on a dually was A-OK, even a rando that hauled slide ins and trailers for the dealer I bought from. I was apprehensive, but took their advise and boy am I glad I did. I can have my cake and eat it too! I load the 1191 and hook up my 9000# 24' enclosed car hauler and drag the whole mess in OD to the race track without any drama. This truck has definitely met and exceeded my expectations. I'm now looking at adding a Jeep or side by side to my collection to further the camping adventures vs the racing ones.
2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually