cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anderson anti sway hitch

CLHEJ
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone use or have experience with this hitch. I currently have a Reese dual cam, but thought about upgrading to the Anderson hitch on my new camper.

Thanks!!
Craig, Lillian and Aly
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 367bhs
23 REPLIES 23

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
CLHEJ wrote:
Thank you BarneyS. Yes, that is the setup I currently have. I do have a bit of work to do prepping my old unit for trade, so I will remove the Dual Cam and put it on my new TT when I take delivery.

Thank you again for the advice.

Craig

Craig,
You are welcome! One more bit of advice.
When you install the Dual Cam on your new trailer, take a really long look at this thread that is stuck at the top of the Towing forum. It details how to set up a WD hitch properly and the 2nd half of it deals with the Dual Cam system (new style) but also can be applied to the old style.

I used that old style Dual Cam for many years before purchasing my present Hensley hitch. I got the Hensely, not because I had problems with the Dual Cam, but because I was curious as to all the hype from owners. Guess what? They were right! :B
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

CLHEJ
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you BarneyS. Yes, that is the setup I currently have. I do have a bit of work to do prepping my old unit for trade, so I will remove the Dual Cam and put it on my new TT when I take delivery.

Thank you again for the advice.

Craig
Craig, Lillian and Aly
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
CLHEJ wrote:
One last question regarding the Dual Cam. The one I currently have is approximately 15 years old. I'm getting ready to trade my TT in on a new one. Should I consider upgrading the Dual Cam, or are there really no upgrades to the newer versions?

Sorry for the dumb question, but just curious if there are any major upgrades to newer Dual Cams.

Craig

Craig,
If your Dual Cam system is the older one that fastens onto the trailer A frame with two large U bolts then I would keep it. I much prefer that old style to the newer one that has the cam arm mounted to a plate that mounts to the A frame via threaded bolts into the A frame.

The old style is much sturdier and less prone to twist or move than the present style although it was a bit harder to install in some cases. It should last for many years longer in my opinion.

If your present system is the "newer" style Dual Cam, then I guess it is up to you to decide if the small improvements to the design is worth the upgrade price. If going that route, I would also take a look at some of the newer designs of WD hitches that incorporate sway control into their design. There have been a lot of new, good ones in the past 15 years.
Barney

Old style Dual Cam
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

CLHEJ
Explorer
Explorer
One last question regarding the Dual Cam. The one I currently have is approximately 15 years old. I'm getting ready to trade my TT in on a new one. Should I consider upgrading the Dual Cam, or are there really no upgrades to the newer versions?

Sorry for the dumb question, but just curious if there are any major upgrades to newer Dual Cams.

Craig
Craig, Lillian and Aly
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW

CLHEJ
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all. I've not had any problems or complaints with my dual cam except it's noisy. Not that I couldn't stand it, just thought I would get a new system when I purchase a new trailer, which I am almost there.

The new trailer has a hitch weight of 670lbs, so it's probably not for me anyways.

After all the comments, which I greatly appreciate, I will choose another Dual Cam.

Thanks to all for your experience and comments.
Craig, Lillian and Aly
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced our old style hitch with an Andersen last year and have really enjoyed the difference. My wife especially appreciates the improved ride and I feel less tired and stressed at the end of the day. Hook up is especially easy not to mention the reduced weight. Ours is a 2003 25RKS pulled by a 2011 Ram with the 5.7 hemi. It does not improve gas mileage.:B

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
About 8,000 miles on our Andersen. While driving in windy, rainy weather home to Florida from Utah, we were passed by another trailer swaying all over the road (high crosswinds). Our trailer stayed nice and straight behind us. Always a nice tow with the Andersen; simple to use and reliable.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

RDMueller
Explorer
Explorer
I'm very happy with mine - no complaints whatsoever. As others have said, very easy to use and set up. In my case, it greatly improved the ride in the truck when on bad roads (particularly bounce).
Rob and Julie
2015 Forest River Wildwood 28DBUD
2001 Dodge Ram 2500, 24V Cummins 5.9

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
I have used the Andersen hitch for 2 years on 2 different campers. I really like it for the reasons stated above. However, I would be concerned about using it on anything with a tongue weight above 700 pounds or so. Then I would want some definitive experience from other users at those weights. For smaller and lighter campers, the Andersen is the best choice as far as I am concerned. Easy to use and set up. Neither camper showed any slip problems on the tongue and, so far, no problems with the taper and brake material. Overall, it has worked exactly as advertised.

Going on our 4th season using the Andersen hitch. TT tongue weight approx. 1100 lbs. towing with 2012 f250. All measurements within Ford specs. and trailer pulls great. Very happy with this hitch.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the dual cam extensively for years with a 28 Airstream. Currently using the Andersen on a 21 RBS . No comparison in terms of sheer elegant engineering, the dual cam is complicated, and archaic. It works. But so does a tube TV. Not to be flippant, but this design is revolutionary regarding set up, effective sway control and and ease of weight distribution adjustments. I will add my current tongue weight is 500 lbs. Very happy.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used the Andersen hitch for 2 years on 2 different campers. I really like it for the reasons stated above. However, I would be concerned about using it on anything with a tongue weight above 700 pounds or so. Then I would want some definitive experience from other users at those weights. For smaller and lighter campers, the Andersen is the best choice as far as I am concerned. Easy to use and set up. Neither camper showed any slip problems on the tongue and, so far, no problems with the taper and brake material. Overall, it has worked exactly as advertised.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I listed lighter, quieter, cleaner, and better at controlling "porpoising" already. I did not include that it upsets folks who like to do everything like their grandpa did them. There are two kinds of people, those of us who like to try new things and learn and there are then there are the others......

Note that I said in my first post that it is not for everyone. If someone wants to tow a 30 foot travel trailer with a 1995 S-10, forget about the Andersen.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
What makes it a "Downgrade"? Ever used both? I have.

Please share then, what makes the Andersen a step above the Reese Dual Cam. (really). I'm not being a smart A$$, if you have experience, please tell. I here to learn, and share. What makes the Andersen an "upgrade" over the dual cam? (Please)?

ttavasc
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
My suggestion, keep the dual cam and save your money. Only IF you are having problems with the dual cam, or parts breaking or wearing, THEN consider changing. But to change, just for the sake of changing, ... keep what you've got! Save your money.

I would agree with this as well. If the dual cam isn't working for the OP or they want some different attributes such as the lighter weight (the Andersen is only 60lbs) then perhaps it would be worth considering.
TT: 2019 ORV Timber Ridge 23DBS, Blue Ox SwayPro 15K/1500
TV: 2019 F-250 XLT SuperCab LB, 6.2L, 4.30/e-locker, 164" WB, 4x4, Roadmaster Active Suspension