cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annual tire chain thread

HarmsWay
Explorer
Explorer
We're heading to Arizona again this winter but this year with the truck and camper. I have no chains for the truck and although I have no intention of driving in the snow I want to have a couple of sets for an emergency and of course to be legal. Or maybe to get through the mud on SR58 in California. So two questions....

Where I live on Vancouver Island there is not much call for snow chains so I thought I'd buy some on the way down. We'll probably be on the I5 in Oregon. Any recommended retailers? Obviously they would need to have stock on hand. Another option is buying online and getting them shipped to my nephew in Arizona but that means I wouldn't have them for the trip down.

The truck is a Ram DRW 4x4. The manual says chains on front and back. Doesn't say all four rears. I thought I'd try to get two sets of V-bar chains with cam tighteners like these from Glacier:

Any chain recommendations?

We had no snow last winter but I grew up in a very wintery part of Canada so I've used chains just not on a rig that weighs this much.

Thanks in advance, --Bob
38 REPLIES 38

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been carrying these around for the last year or so:

Autosocks

Very compact, light weight, and easy to carry (I haven't bothered taking them out of the truck this summer).

The bag looks like this:

I doubt it weighs a pound. I haven't had to use them yet so no personal experience but they seem to be approved as a traction device in place of chains in Washington and many other states. I figure they are good insurance.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
With your circumstance, why even order chains? Basically, you are making a bet. On your return, long before you get to the point you need chains, check the weather reports. You may not need chains. If you do, buy them in route. Everything considered, I doubt they would cost much more. Consider, a truck you probably paid several thousand for your truck, and several thousand for the TC. Now you are going to choke up paying $20 to $30 more for chains? I see Les Swab chains for less than $100, how much do you think you will save?

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

HarmsWay
Explorer
Explorer
I'm learning lots here. On a side note the Les Schwab chain return policy was sounding good until I read that you can't return them until April and apparently they are overpriced based on buyer comments. Since it is highly unlikely I would return them anyway its makes them less attractive. I'm leaving soon and I can avoid any need for them on the way down by waiting or rerouting, so I will likely order some to be delivered to me in Arizona. I left it too late to order from Canada.

bb_94401 wrote:

If you are going to get chains because you travel often in winter, you might as well get ones that work well in all conditions to get you safely in and out. That would be the cross bar reinforced or V-bar chains.

This is the way I'm leaning again although I still haven't decided about V-bar to get some off road capability vs regular twist link for more durability. I still don't plan to drive in snow though.

I'll order two sets which should make me legal in the western states and compliant with Ram.

Ace_
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
I would get chains simply cause some states require you to have them, needed or not...
Wayne

This. In Oregon you are legally required to carry chains in certain areas of the state (snow zones) during certain times of the year. This may not impact the OP, but the tallest pass on Interstate 5 is in Oregon and it closes every year.

I too will suggest Les Schwab, or any other retailer that offers a good selection and good return policy; although, the cost for a set of chains is minimal in the grand scheme of things. They take up relatively little room and are good "insurance" if you are traveling where you may need them. However, if you have a camper and are not in a hurry, you can usually wait for a storm situation to pass.
2015 Four Wheel Camper Hawk (on order, impatiently waiting)
2005 Ford F250 CC, V10, 4.30, 4x4
Triple A RV in Medford Sucks

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a set of these in the 19.5 size for my SRW '96 Dodge.

Diamond Tire Chains

Their chart says the Diamond type are poor for high torque diesel and towing.

Truck and SUV Tire Chain Application Recommendations**

Fortunately, after having them for over 7 years I don't know cause I have never used them. I have installed them, and that is real simple as the video shows.

Wayne

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
One more reminder for those who are going into high mountains in winter.
Fill up before hitting higher elevations. Driving on chains consume much more fuel and roads gets closed overnight. That is lot of idling.
I also like to carry a gallon of water for windshield and lights washing.
Drinking too if I run out of beer.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm with some of the other people on waiting if it is supposedly so bad you need chains. I carry two sets just in case.

I have Hankook DH-01s because they are about as aggressive as anyone makes in 19.5s. I have them siped as well. Sure, they are a waste on dry pavement, but if I can't go with those on, I expect I should stay where I am. In case you are wondering, I had these same tires on my former truck a SRW for 8 years. They always did awesome on snow even in two wheel drive. That was a daily driver although I don't daily drive my F450 since it can't fit where I need to park for work.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got it.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you drive heavy vehicle with chains over concrete, it is like putting grinder on them.
WB I-80 is having about 4" deep crowns on right lane going up from Truckee - from grinding chains.
Cables do have rolls that make rolling contacts, preventing the grinding and rolls provide much more wear surface than thickens of wire in chain.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now I think I got it. That was my understanding, but I was not sure.

I do not see how the chains would wear out on one trip. It appears to me that with dually chains or single chains, the wear would be the same in a given distance.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Duallies have double tires on the side. The chains are required only on 1 tire of the set, or 1 side.
Driving twice on chains on the same trip, I used 1 side of the chain going one way, and flipped them to other side on the way back.
Sorry if my 3rd language English is not always clear 😉
To add from my experience - chains shine when you are driving over 2" or more of powder. Than can be fresh powder, or powder grind by the wheels, but still soft.
That kind of situation on freeway happens only for short period if you drive in the middle of storm.
I did it couple of times in car while going for 1 day skiing trip.
My ski buddy crashed his Honda in those conditions.
Don't think I would push the drive with camper.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
... Chains on only one side of duallies wear out on that single drive, so while camping on other side I had to replace few broken links.
Than on the way back chain restrictions again, so I put the chains on other side and after another 12 miles the chains were no longer useable.
When with chains going over 25 mph gets pretty risky and uncomfortable, with cables 40 mph is fine.
I need help here, I am getting old and easily confused. I'm especially not understanding "Chains on only one side of duallies ...". Also, "... on the way back chain restrictions again, so I put the chains on other side ...".

I like the idea of the cables. I realize they do not work with every situation.

Wayne

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
On technical note, at least Caltrans makes chain requirements several miles before you see snow on the road.
In the past I drove 7 tons ClassA over Sierra. The chain restrictions covered 12 miles, while only about 5 had real show.
Chains on only one side of duallies wear out on that single drive, so while camping on other side I had to replace few broken links.
Than on the way back chain restrictions again, so I put the chains on other side and after another 12 miles the chains were no longer useable.
When with chains going over 25 mph gets pretty risky and uncomfortable, with cables 40 mph is fine.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the info guys.

How many of you with DRW trucks run only one chain on the duels?

Wayne