cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anode rod necessary ?

dougbo44
Explorer
Explorer
I only use my 22ft travel trailer on weekends, 2 or 3 nights. 6gal water heater. If I drain my hot water tank after every use, is an anode rod really necessary ?
22 REPLIES 22

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know what sort of water heater my 1993 TT has. I've owned it for 10 years and the rod looks to me like the original one. It's not part of the drain plug, in my water heater the rod is screwed into the back higher up on the unit. I've never changed it. I'm afraid too. Like I said, it looks original to me and I'm afraid it will twist off in the wrong place and take part of the tank with it.

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
dougbo4 wrote:
Not concerned about money, just sulphur reaction (has happened once) and odor. No rod, no reaction....

Given the choice between the sulpher reaction that happened once, or tank corrosion reaction, I think I would keep the anode in place. No rod, possibly no tank in a few seasons.

They do not put those rods in because its fun or to make the bottom line smaller.

If money is no object, nix the rod and buy a spare heater to carry around.

dougbo44
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies/help, sarcasm not necessary when someone new to this is trying to learn......

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Aluminum anode rods last longer than magnesium but offer less protection. The water quality is a big factor in anode longevity. If you are using the same water as your home, how often do you change the anode in the house water heater?

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
If using the same water heater and same water then the difference is either fluctuations in the makeup of the water or in the makeup of the rods.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
gmckenzie wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Yes. For the small price of the anode rod keep it. I have gone as much as 3 years on one anode, very little damage. It only dissolved at the end of the 3rd year.

3 yrs?

Mine came with the trailer when I bought mine in 2010 and is still mostly there. ๐Ÿ™‚

I've heard that. I've never had one go over 3 years. One lasted me 1 year. This was on the same trailer. Not sure what makes them last longer? On my current MH it came with a new one. I just drained the water tank to get out some nasty campground water and the rod was already coming apart down by the threads. I kept my trailer plugged in at the house so not sure if being plugged in caused them to wear out faster.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
rbpru wrote:
Old biscuit, yes it is a 6 gallon Atwood. It is hotter than the dickens. Fortunately, it is well insulated so we run it for 15 in the morning and we are good all day or until we do dishes.

T-stat controls heat cycles......OPENS at 140*F/Closes for reheat at 110*F
ECO (Energy Cut Off---HIGH temp t-stat) Opens at 180*F/triggers FAULT Light (t-stat recloses at 150*F but FAULT Light has tobe manually reset)

Options are available>

Atwood has a 130*F optional T-stat (Atwood 91470)
Some websites will list it as 120*F but that is incorrect.....no 120*F available discontinued years ago)

Atwood Adjustable 110*F - 150*F T-stat (Atwood 93105)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Yes. For the small price of the anode rod keep it. I have gone as much as 3 years on one anode, very little damage. It only dissolved at the end of the 3rd year.

3 yrs?

Mine came with the trailer when I bought mine in 2010 and is still mostly there. ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old biscuit, yes it is a 6 gallon Atwood. It is hotter than the dickens. Fortunately, it is well insulated so we run it for 15 in the morning and we are good all day or until we do dishes.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
rbpru wrote:
My water heater has no consumer temperature control or anode, I am sure it was the cheapest model when it was installed 10 years ago.

It is still going strong on both gas and electricity.

I drain it for winter and if is going to be stored for a long time.

Sounds like an Atwood and it being a 2010 vintage it would be a:
GC6A-10E if 6 gal
GC10A-4E if 10 gal

Most current combo versions and NOT the cheapest (could have been a pilot gas version)

Atwood and Suburban both use pre-set t-stats (no agjustments)
*atwood does have a cheap adjustable optional t-stat
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
My water heater has no consumer temperature control or anode, I am sure it was the cheapest model when it was installed 10 years ago.

It is still going strong on both gas and electricity.

I drain it for winter and if is going to be stored for a long time.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Kind of depends on the maker of your heater. If an Atwood, then no anode rod is necessary.

If a Suburban, then I would use use one because eventually the inside will corrode due to the water being present, even if only part time. The one that comes with the Suburban should last quite a long time though. Just inspect it when you pull it out to drain the heater. When it gets to looking like a rough piece of thin pencil then replace it.
Barney

Correct answer!!
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
why wouldnt you install the anode rod?
put one in and dont empty your heater until winterization
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!