cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any Canadians who have bought their trailer in the US?

IH_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

We've been looking for the Journeyer TT by Open Range in Ontario, but it appears to be a model that Ontario dealers don't stock - custom orders and you can imagine that the price is not moving. However, there are big dealers in the US that do and their pricing is very good.

I've looked at the government websites and have read through the steps - typical to government sites, there is policy versus reality! I've also talked with Canadian dealers and of course they say go ahead, but it will not be warranty serviced in Canada. And there are those sites on the internet that offer to bring them over for a fee.

Has anyone done this on their own and what experience did you have and would you do it again?

Thx!!!
8 REPLIES 8

8iron
Explorer
Explorer
IH_Fan wrote:
.... I've also talked with Canadian dealers and of course they say go ahead, but it will not be warranty serviced in Canada.

Purely a scare tactic! That particular dealer may decide not to do warranty work but another dealer or service centre will...I have purchased our last 2 units from the US and have had had warranty work done in Canada. Although I prefer to do most work myself.
2014 F350 Lariat
2011 Sunset Trail Reserve 29ss

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
IH_Fan wrote:
...They said that the Journeyer is not one they stock as it's very high end for a TT, so low demand.

Did you ask about placing a deposit and then having them order it? You should not have to 'settle' for a trailer other than what you want.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
IH_Fan wrote:
.... I've also talked with Canadian dealers and of course they say go ahead, but it will not be warranty serviced in Canada.

What reason did they give for this decision? Did you get a reason from them?

It is not as if they sell the trailer and that you went and bought elsewhere. If they bothered to sell the trailer you want you likely would not have to go elsewhere to buy.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Importing is a snap. Trailmanor didn't have a dealer up here, so I bought our first trailer in Texas and brought it up.

But like others have said, warranty issues may be a problem. In my case there was no local dealer anyway, so I fixed the minor issues myself with parts sent from the factory, and major issues were fixed at the factory in Tennessee. We dropped the trailer off in Ohio, the factory picked it up, took it to TN and fixed it, and we later drove down to TN to pick it up on our way to Florida.

If you're not willing to go through all that hassle, I'd say pick a model available in Canada.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

IH_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
Did you try Leisure Days in Cambridge Ontario. We purchased our Open Range there and they seem to have quite a bit of inventory although they did mention it moves through very fast as they are popular.

Hi - Sure did. They said that the Journeyer is not one they stock as it's very high end for a TT, so low demand. They carry the 5th wheels (incl the Roamer) as they are more popular.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Did you try Leisure Days in Cambridge Ontario. We purchased our Open Range there and they seem to have quite a bit of inventory although they did mention it moves through very fast as they are popular.

5rvers
Explorer
Explorer
Its easy to do I brought 2 cars across using the RIV program just have to follow the steps for both Canadian and US side pay your fees and get an inspection. I however bought my rv locally by the time I factored in shipping and fees I only would have saved $900.00. It is also nice to have my dealer close by for warranty work, I can have my rv there in 15 minutes. If you cant find that model locally then its probably worth importing it, as far as I know dealerships don't like to turn down business on service work you may have to pay up front and get reimbursed later.

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
You would have to get it registered in Canada and that could add cost.
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours