cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any harm in leaving the TT plugged in all the time??

richamor
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I are in "conversation" about this. I want to leave the trailer plugged in at home all of the time. That way the fridge can run, I can run the AC when wanted/needed and it spares the batteries.

The wife says it's a waste of electricity and we should only plug it in when needed and the fridge can run on propane.
28 REPLIES 28

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
Like some others, I leave our trailer plugged in all the time, but with the fridge and the battery switch turned off.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
For those that leave stuff in their fridge while at home, what items are you talking about? Surely stuff like meat, cheese and dairy have expiration dates and you wouldn't leave them for two weeks in the TT, right? We tend to go camping every 3-4 weeks so I completely empty the fridge and let it defrost. We just load everything into the crisper drawer or another container, so it's only one trip into the house to empty the fridge.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
I leave mine plugged in all the time at home. I check the battery water about once a month and top off as needed with distilled water.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Downtheroad, your tralier is plugged in going down the road. We leave ours plugged in at home. Use it sometimes here.

Ron3rd
Explorer III
Explorer III
C.B. wrote:
The only time mine is not plug in(shop, campground, generator,) is when going down the road.

C.B.

Same here; our trailer has been plugged in continuously for 10 years. Unplugged when we drive away.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is plugged in with the frig on 24/7 minus the time winterized. We keep the frig stocked with all the basics....not likely I'm going to haul that stuff in and out every trip. We can use the A/C if we decide to do a bit of work or just want to escape from the house/DS#1/doggies for a bit. Also, when shopping and I see something I know we're going to need for the next trip, I just go ahead and get it and take it straight to Rocky....less chance of me, mmmmm, "forgetting" that I've already bought it and it's just sitting waiting.

Camping friends used to back in to their driveway, leave everything plugged in including the frig, unload all the stuff from the frig, take it in the house and put away. Then when ready to head out next trip - usually the next week or the one after, had to remember to gather it all together, haul it out to the frig, which had been on since the last trip and put it away. Makes no sense to me. Keep it as simple as possible and it'll be lots less work and lots more fun. Totally agree on full timers. Cost of keeping electric on + frig is insignificant. We set our A/C at 80 when not spending time out there, then just a tweak and it's cool. Simple, practically no cost and lots less effort.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I leave it plugged in I just make sure the battery cells are kept topped up

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
93Cobra2771 wrote:
I keep plugged in, but fridge is not running. No use running it with nothing in it. A few days prior to a camping trip I'll turn the fridge on.

ditto here

Although I once chewed up the power cord when I dug it up with the snowblower when cleaning the sidewalk between the house and the TT....
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

richamor
Explorer
Explorer
LOL!!! Thanks folks. I'll let the wife know I win this round:-)

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
richamor wrote:
The wife and I are in "conversation" about this. I want to leave the trailer plugged in at home all of the time. That way the fridge can run, I can run the AC when wanted/needed and it spares the batteries.

The wife says it's a waste of electricity and we should only plug it in when needed and the fridge can run on propane.

Your wife doesn't know what she is talking about.

Uh-oh. Watch it. Can get in trouble with that comment. ๐Ÿ™‚

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
richamor wrote:

Your wife doesn't know what she is talking about.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine's been plugged in for six years non-stop (except when towing) and I haven't had any trouble. Keep an eye on the water, that's all.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
bnk190 wrote:
Think of it this way. People that full time in rv's have it plugged in all the time. Nothing to be worried about

Took the words right out of my full time keyboard.

Will it hurt anything?

In 8 years it hasn't hurt anything in our trailer.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Mine is not plugged in for two months, December and April; I check the battery level about every 3 months and add water about every six months.