cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Predator Generator reviews?

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Now when my build-in Generac died and even new $350 board is not fixing it, I am researching more reasonable option.
$500 inverter generator have excelent reviews and some say it runs smaller AC just fine, but forum search shows 0 topicks.
Hard to believe nobody from the forum tried it?
79 REPLIES 79

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I am original poster and funny how 2 years old topic has been brought back to life.
I did not buy Predator, becouse I had Honda 3000 sitting at home, so I just rerouted my long vacation to make another stop at home.
There is video linked on HF site, showing that 3500 Predator is way quieter than Honda 2000 in all range, so we can compare reliability.
When I bought my Honda 3000 about 15 years ago it come with factory defect.
It would power smaller load, but inverter would go into overload when AC started. That did put dent on our Mexican vacations at the time, so nothing is bulletproof.

jerry101jlh
Explorer
Explorer
Approx 3 years old, no issues. Runs about 8-10 hours on full tank, is heavy. Find it pretty darn quiet. Ours does not have a fuel gauge. Have read both good and bad reviews, much like anything bought these days. May not be as good as a Honda, don't know having never owned one but at approx a third of the price a decent buy for us. I've never tried it on large power tools, but didn't buy it for that purpose. Last, it starts quickly even after sitting for a couple months. Maybe we have just been lucky, but if I had it it to do over, I'd buy the Preditor again.

treated_humble
Explorer
Explorer
I have that Predator 3500
Got it around 2005
Guzzles gas
Noise of a jet engine
Weighs a ton
The fuel gauge disintegrated sometime last summer
Can’t seem to kill it
It does not run the large saws
My predator 8750 runs those
Electric start (happily)

If you're interested in exactly the Predator brand generators, then feel free to read link I provided, the latest models reviewed.

Old_Islander
Explorer
Explorer
Old Islander wrote:
I bought a new genny this spring for our 9' camper. We don't have A/C so didn't need a 2000+ watt machine. I looked at Honda and Yamaha, and balked at the price. Finally bought a 1500 watt Firman from Home Depot on sale for $249 (Can) which included delivery to the front door. It has a 3 year Home Depot warranty. I could buy four of these for what one equivalent wattage Honda or Yamaha would cost in Canada...

After bragging up this genny earlier this year, I am now eating crow. The third time we used it in late October, it ran for a few minutes and I heard it 'hunting' and wanting to quit. Discovered gas running out the bottom of the tank's off/on valve, and being sucked into the air cooling intake just below. About a half gal had leaked out. Turns out one of the machine screws on the valve was stripped. So the entire inside of this genny is now coated in gas -- it's lucky it didn't catch fire and turn into an inferno. It'll be going back this week, and that's the last cheap Chinese machine I ever buy....

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
jimh425 wrote:
And yet ... the consensus is Honda is better for RV use by almost everyone. Nope, I don't have a portable.

Does anyone have a reference other than a internet chat board that says Honda uses the Yamaha method? Honda's website doesn't imply it as far as I can tell. http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/inverter-generator-advantages Just wondering if this is internet lore or a fact.

...and I have neither. I have a Chinese Champion with a Lifan motor.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Honda is not giving any credit to anybody
Honda site wrote:
In 1998, Honda developed the Microprocessor-controlled Sine Wave Inverter, allowing electricity with a waveform clean enough to power ordinary electric appliances, to be supplied according to the load.

http://world.honda.com/powerproducts-technology/generator/

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
And yet ... the consensus is Honda is better for RV use by almost everyone. Nope, I don't have a portable.

Does anyone have a reference other than a internet chat board that says Honda uses the Yamaha method? Honda's website doesn't imply it as far as I can tell. http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/inverter-generator-advantages Just wondering if this is internet lore or a fact.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
GeoBoy wrote:
Flip, this is not aimed at you personally. I agree with you that a lot of our automotive products contain cheap imported items. The new world economy statement is BS, it is just an excuse to buy cheap.

Maybe yes, maybe no. I'm sure it has alot to do with the P&L statement

Like old Ollie says... Buy em cheap and stack em deep.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkirsch wrote:
Where do people get off saying the Predator is a clone of the Honda? They look NOTHING alike. Clearly the cases are completely different shapes. Is it because both of them are primarily red?

That's like saying a Ford is a clone of a Dodge because they're both painted white.

In as much as Yamaha came out with the first Inverter based genny and holds the design patents on the 7 pole head and associated electronics, I guess that Honda (and all the rest) are Yamaha clones.....:p

Yamaha gets a slice no matter what you buy... 'Made under license of Yamaha Motor Corporation.
2015 Backpack SS1500

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Where do people get off saying the Predator is a clone of the Honda? They look NOTHING alike. Clearly the cases are completely different shapes. Is it because both of them are primarily red?

That's like saying a Ford is a clone of a Dodge because they're both painted white.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Flip, this is not aimed at you personally. I agree with you that a lot of our automotive products contain cheap imported items. The new world economy statement is BS, it is just an excuse to buy cheap.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
3 tons wrote:
Good luck with the china made stuff.

Better quit driving your vehicle because a lot of the components are made in China don't go to the hospital for anything involving surgery...those surgical tools are made in China (and elsewhere)...

The Chinese no good mantra is old hat. Get with the new world economy and deal with it.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Craftsman (late stuff) is made in China.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I can only partly understand the anti-China mentality here.
I have China-made automotive tool set that I've been using for 35 years.
Couple of pieces broke in the mean time, but in the same time I broke dozens of Craftsman's .
Can't use Craftsman often becouse they are too thick to fit on modern automobiles.
But I bought the set in Europe, where the supplier order from China the high end tools, not the stuff we are offered from China in USA.
To add to it, just last week I went to HD to seek good plywood for my camper repair. Having bad experience with 1/4" construction plywood in the past I was really surprised to find nice sheet marked as 5 mm. Load it without 2nd tough only at home to discover "Made in China" label.
Back at HD when waiting in the lane, I was ask by other customers where did I find such a nice piece.
Anyway, I repeat one more time, that due to Predator not fitting in my camper compartment, I will be carrying Japanese on front platform. Don't really want to look like rednecks, but already having big Honda leaves me with no better choice.