cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any RV park recommendations in Show Low, AZ?

pezvela
Explorer
Explorer
This will only be for one night in late July, but we will be arriving rather early and plan on spending most of our time in the RV park. So, nice surroundings would be a plus

Due to a job commitment we have, we MUST have a reliable internet connection for that day. That's why we are choosing to stay in "camp" all day.

After we take care of our work commitment, it's on to the Durango area the following day!! Cant wait!
11 REPLIES 11

rckound
Explorer
Explorer
"Should I unhitch the Jeep and have the wife drive it separately? I've just got the older 7.3L Ford diesel engine that only puts out about 235 hp and my camper is not light. But if there are no steep grades, we can usually manage."

I've got a '96 with the 7.3 diesel and you will not have any problems going up that way.

As far as places to stay, you might want to check out Pinetop-Lakeside area as well. Only maybe 10 minutes away from Showlow and lots of little overnight RV parks to stay at.
1996 Ford F350 XLT LB 7.3 Diesel
2008 Arctic Fox 811S

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Fools Hollow Lake" right in Showlow has an RV park.
Look for it on a map or google maps.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
You might try checking www.rvparkreviews.com. They show two in Overgaard (Elk Pines RV Resort) and one in Clay Springs (Arizona High Country Campground). All are 20+ miles from Show Low and have Wi-Fi. Reviews vary but most for all three are good.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

pezvela
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick follow up, here. I called the lodge in Show Low and they DO NOT ALLOW USE OF THE RV AREA BY NON-MEMBERS.

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
pezvela wrote:
54suds wrote:
the Show Low Elks lodge has a camp ground with around 20 sites

click this link to go to Elks lodge site

I had a truck break down while passing through there and the local people were exceptionally friendly & helpful . They arranged for parts and repair installation to be done in a local members driveway !!!

Do you know if you have to be a member of the Elks to stay at the campground?

My father in law is a member but not me.

I just called the lodge they do allow non member use of the campground ,you will have to call to confirm the time you need
see lodge ph no 928 537 1392
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mello Mike wrote:
If you have cellular internet through Verizon you can boondock in the Sitgreaves National Forest between Show Low and Heber-Overgaard near Highway 260 for free. Verizon'S 4G/LTE coverage there is pretty good. AT&T has only 2G service in that area which is what we used when we were last camped there.

We had a bad experience in that area.
Hornets (or bees?) were attacking the camper so fiercely that we could not get out of the truck. (this as we arrived)
Arizona is known to have Africanized bees - care is advised.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

pezvela
Explorer
Explorer
54suds wrote:

I had a truck break down while passing through there and the local people were exceptionally friendly & helpful . They arranged for parts and repair installation to be done in a local members driveway !!!

Do you know if you have to be a member of the Elks to stay at the campground?

My father in law is a member but not me.

GpnAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Fool Hollow State Campground is a great campground, you would have to rely on cell phone hotspot there, no wifi.
2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross

54suds
Explorer
Explorer

2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

pezvela
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Mike. We are considering buying one of Novatel/Verizon's no-contract 4G hot spots for the trip.

Have you ever done the drive up to Show Low from Globe on US 60? I would imagine so.

Should I unhitch the Jeep and have the wife drive it separately? I've just got the older 7.3L Ford diesel engine that only puts out about 235 hp and my camper is not light. But if there are no steep grades, we can usually manage.

Any other RV park recommendations, anyone? I should probably post this on somethingh other than the TC board. We TCers dislike RV parks........but sometimes they are a necessary evil.

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
If you have cellular internet through Verizon you can boondock in the Sitgreaves National Forest between Show Low and Heber-Overgaard near Highway 260 for free. Verizon'S 4G/LTE coverage there is pretty good. AT&T has only 2G service in that area which is what we used when we were last camped there.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.