cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any towing with a Nissan NV3500?

ForMyTwins
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious what the experience towing with it has been. Will it be a white knuckle experience?

We've had a 2014 SL with towing package for the past several years and it is a very capable van, but I haven't towed anything beyond a small utility trailer. The TT we're looking at is about 34' overall and will likely be about 8,500 fully loaded (7,300 dry). With an 8,700 pound towing capacity (yes, I've calculated weight that will be in the van and we will be fine) we're close to the limit.

For those that have direct experience with this van, what has it been like? Good road holding? Sufficient power for hills (we'll be doing the grape vine in CA on our first big trip)? How is the trans for using a little bit of engine braking?

Thoughts or suggestions for necessary mods? Extra transmission cooler, or is the larger towing package cooler enough?
20 REPLIES 20

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Please check the yellow sticker on the trailer for real weights. I know that mine was 8400 lbs even though the dry weight was less than 8000. I tow mine with an Express 3500, so I believe that you would be able to tow it.

Ironically, I have never had more than 2 passengers when towing my travel trailer. However, I have had as many as 10 passengers when going to a brewery or wedding.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

ForMyTwins
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I was able to find a Nissan NV forum, and it looks like there's a number of people towing similar rigs with the van. I'm still going to keep a close eye on what I pick, and I will probably run the van through a weigh station just to see how accurate Nissan's numbers are.

Hopefully there is someone here towing with one to get a little more info.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
this info is from 2013 but it might have useful info for you.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27367865/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:
what's a 2014 SL? Better be a one ton pickup

As the title says, it's a Nissan NV3500. A 1 ton van.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm seeing a maximum of 8,690 on Nissan's site. So one per cent safety margin is ok with you? Daddy can I take my bike? No. BBQ? No. Extra lawn chairs? No. Ice cooler for extra drinks? No. Kayak? No. Where allowed, campfire wood? No. Doesn't sound like much fun to me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
what's a 2014 SL? Better be a one ton pickup
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)