cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anybody here got a 2011-2013 2wd F250?

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
If so how is your steering? My 2013 is a month old and steering is awful. Steering feels very loose. They changed out the gearbox which helped some but every bump that you hit makes the steering wheel move around. A bunch of potholes or rough patch will cause the steering wheel to shake violently- about like the death wobble that my 05 F250 4x4 had.

The truck doesn't have a steering stabilizer, do you know if one can be added? If so I would need the brackets as well.

The truck has the Continental tires and I have them aired at 60psi front and 65 rear. Factory had them at 80psi.

Thanks
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs
22 REPLIES 22

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
johndeerefarmer wrote:

The truck doesn't have a steering stabilizer, do you know if one can be added? If so I would need the brackets as well.

Thanks

No steering stabilizer? :h My signature truck 2wd and 18" tires came with a factory stabilizer. What up with that :h

Not the best picture, but stabilizer is behind sway bar and in front of tie rods.

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

dennisgt60
Explorer
Explorer
I too have 18" Continentals on truck in sig. Rides/steers fine. Just a thought...owners manual specifically states that tires should be kept inflated to pressure stated on door pillar. Mine calls for 65lbs front, 80lbs rear. That's how it came from the factory. That's how I ride. The owners guide info says, do not lower tire pressure to effect ride "quality" as this may adversly effect handling. I read quite a lot on forum about all the different iterations/gyrations folks go through messing around with and calculating tire pressures based upon weight or whatever. Just follow the owners guide. I do realize this may have absolutely nothing to do with your problem but, as a simple suggestion, try properly inflating tires. This may improve handling geometry. Just my opinion.
2012 F-250 XLT, 6.2L, 4x4, CC, Standard Bed, 10,000lb. GVWR, 3.73 Axle.
Truck CAT Wt. 7,120 lbs.
Stated payload max. 2,881 lbs.
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8282ws.

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would call a good 4x4/offroad store in your area to see what they would suggest.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would call a good 4x4/offroad store in your area to see what they would suggest.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well they replaced the gearbox and checked the alignment on the front end and my truck and the other new one now ride identical. Problem is the ride still doesn't suit me on either one of them.
When I hit bumps the steering wheel still moves around some in my hand- probably not a big deal for most but i have tendonitis in both elbows and the more movement I get in the steering the more my elbows move, the more inflammed they get and the more they hurt.

I am looking for suggestions to improve it. First what about adding the Bilstein 5100 steering damper? Maybe it is better than the Ford OEM damper. If the Bilstein has more dampening effect - I guess I mean a stiffer stabilizer, the road shouldn't affect the steering wheel as much.

If that doesn't help I am considering different shocks. Rancho doesn't make the adjustable shocks for newer 2wd F250's so they are not an option. Bilstein's seem to be stiffer and make the ride rougher from what I read. I am considering the Monroe Reflex hoping that they might help smooth out some of the roughness which in turn would help tame the moving steering wheel.

The tires call for 60 up front and 65psi in the rear. Not sure how much lower I could go without wearing out the tires and/or hurting my fuel economy. I already have to remember to air them back up when towing. I can't change to a lower load rating tire as I pull a 25' gooseneck loaded down with hay and or a 10k lb skidsteer or 12k tractor occasionally. Travel trailer is no big deal- about 7000 lbs loaded.
BTW I do have Firestone air bags in the rear. I keep them at 5psi when not loaded. I am not complaining about the rough ride in the rear, just how the steering wheel is affected by the road.

Since the two new trucks drive identical, not anything that Ford can do. Any suggestions?
GD Reflection 29rs

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
johndeerefarmer wrote:
Lessmore wrote:
Wonder if they properly tightened all the bolts holding the steering column, when they did all that work.

Would think it could be warranty...if your still under warranty.

That happened to me once...bad shake of the steering wheel and column on rough roads...finally twigged to it when I found a heavy duty bolt in the driver's footwell.

They reinstalled it, tightened it and it' like a new vehicle.

Only had the truck a month and its done it from day one. Last week they replaced the gearbox. The steering appears to be a little tighter than before but still don't think its right. Gonna drive it some tomorrow and go by the dealer and drive their other two wheel drive for comparison again

Good idea to compare it. Another possibility is if it's been not right since you got it new....maybe not done right at the factory or a faulty part. Does happen occasionally.

If you do find the other F 250 steering feels better than yours....maybe have the service manager of the dealership drive the two with you in the passenger seat.

Mine was so loose that I could get part of the column to move and 'rattle' in excess of factory tolerance while sitting in the vehicle with the engine off and the service manager looking on. That convinced him....also the loose bolt. :B

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I am running an 2012 F 250 2WD. Steering and front end has been perfect right out of the box.

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lessmore wrote:
Wonder if they properly tightened all the bolts holding the steering column, when they did all that work.

That happened to me once...bad shake of the steering wheel and column on rough roads...finally twigged to it when I found a heavy duty bolt in the driver's footwell.

Only had the truck a month and its done it from day one. Last week they replaced the gearbox. The steering appears to be a little tighter than before but still don't think its right. Gonna drive it some tomorrow and go by the dealer and drive their other two wheel drive for comparison again
GD Reflection 29rs

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
VintageRacer wrote:
It's probably caster angle at the low side of spec. I've had new trucks do what yours is doing, took installing a caster adjuster to fix, mine wasn't adjustable stock, maybe the F250 is. (mine was a chev)

Thanks, I will have them look at it again.
GD Reflection 29rs

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
It's probably caster angle at the low side of spec. I've had new trucks do what yours is doing, took installing a caster adjuster to fix, mine wasn't adjustable stock, maybe the F250 is. (mine was a chev)
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 F-250 2WD towing 35ft TT. No steering problems as you describe. Feels like the last 3 trucks I have had. Nice and solid.

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
45Ricochet wrote:
Oh no, not a "death wobble" thread :E I've seen a few of those! How many miles are on the tires? Mine came with Continental tires and I really didn't care for them and they only lasted 25k miles, but it was mountain driving.
Good Luck

18" Continental tires. They have 600 miles on them. Truck has acted funny from day one.
GD Reflection 29rs

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a F350, so I cannot advise, unless to say mine is just fine. But from the way you describe the issue, it might be wise for you to get an independent opinion from a good alignment shop. Yeah...it will cost you a few bucks. But worth it, because it doesn't sound like your dealer is all that reliable with those problems. Nor does he want to do any warranty work...So he gives it the daylight treatment.

For the issue you describe, there is a good chance there is a problem there somewhere. Either something is loose, or out of adjustment. I am thinking caster angle. But who knows? Get it checked out by someone who knows. Money well spent.

My old F350 suffered from the real "death wobble". An upgraded heavy duty Ford stabilizer took care of the problem.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.