cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anybody here own a Jayco Baja Edition?

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
I was searching for "Rugged Travel Trailers" and I ran across an ad for the Jayco Baja Edition from 2005. I can't seem to find much information on them though and was wondering if there were owners here that could tell me more about them. Thanks.
1999 Minnie Winnie WF322R
6 REPLIES 6

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
clarkster wrote:
jungleexplorer wrote:
I ad I saw showed a regular Travel Trailer, not a pop-up. That is what I am interested in. Not really interested in pop ups. I need to live in this thing while up in the Arctic.

I missed this.....opps...
Artic?.
The Baja edition is like a freakin icebox....very little insulation.
30 degrees outside.....38 inside!!!
Take a tanker full of propane!!

Ah! Thanks. Great info. I was trying to find out abouts it's insulation. You would think a rugged RV design for backwoods would have better insulation. Guess not.

clarkster
Explorer
Explorer
jungleexplorer wrote:
I ad I saw showed a regular Travel Trailer, not a pop-up. That is what I am interested in. Not really interested in pop ups. I need to live in this thing while up in the Arctic.

I missed this.....opps...
Artic?.
The Baja edition is like a freakin icebox....very little insulation.
30 degrees outside.....38 inside!!!
Take a tanker full of propane!!
2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Laramie crew CTD
2017 Jayco Flight SLX Baja package

clarkster
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Baja edition Jay Flight SLX 245 RLW.....2017 model.
8' wide models have a 80 gallon water tank, two 30# propane tanks,
flipped axles.....(yes it sits high) and 16" "E" rated LT truck tires.
Not supplied with a TV or a power tongue jack.
Propane only water heater and NO ceiling vent.

Major systems work ok.....it's little stuff like pulled screws, shower surround jumps the track, piezo stove igniter did not fire off the back two burners.
Simmons mattress grew a canyon down the center....

Soft pine lumber, 1"1" stuff supporting the bed foundation, wafer thin luan ply tiny staples pulled out...
All fixed without batting an eye at the dealers.

Tows nice....level and smooth.
CAT loaded weight for a trip was 5490#....no water.

Since I live and use the camper in Baja....why not?
2014 F-150 handles it ok.....but I am dumping that for a 2006 Ram Laramie Cummins this weekend.
Just not enough power with that F-150....no matter what my xx#@ son in law says.
2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Laramie crew CTD
2017 Jayco Flight SLX Baja package

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The local Jayco had a couple of the Baja models this spring. Flipped axles for more ground clearance, larger storage tanks, one size larger wheels and tires. Not really ruggedized as such, but a little better for back country use. I purchased a "regular" version since I do not need any of the Baja "improvements".

Jayco still makes them.

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer

fairfaxjim
Explorer
Explorer
In about 2003 or 4 several Pop up trailer manufacturers started putting out "Off Road" tent trailers. StarCraft RT series, Fleetwood Evolution series, Jayco Baja Edition, and a few others, mostly later on. I have no idea when most of them suspended these models, but I think the 2008 financial downturn had a big part in it. I think Viking made some as late as 2012, but they may have just been late to the party.

I had a 2004 StarCraft 11RT, so I know about that one, not much about the Baja series other than that they were all made to compete against each other and appeal to the potential off road, rough road camper.

I did use mine on the dirt roads of Nevada deserts frequently, and it stood up well considering that it was basically a regular tent trailer box/tent mounted on a mondo tough looking frame with raised axels and big LT Mudrover tires. It had a front cargo/atv/cycle deck with diamond plate and a railing. I used the deck extensively for gear, never vehicles. The tongue weight was high to begin with as the axel was located far back of the ball, and weight on the deck could rocket up the tongue weight dramatically. It was 20' ball to spare, and weighed in at or near it's 3500 lbs. max when loaded.

TT Forum regular Roy Ken has a StarCraft RT, you may want to search him out. I havn't seen very many of the Off Road PUP's around these days.
Jim & JoAnne
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD Double Cab
2004 Starcraft 11RT (Replaced by)
2011 Eclipse Milan 18CK Travel Trailer