cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone carry a ladder?

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering buying a telescoping ladder for a few reasons like cleaning, adjusting the awning angle and possibly to tilt solar panels.

Does anyone carry a ladder while traveling? This would be stored in the basement so I'm not looking for advice on how to carry (but feel free to share your storage solutions for others) Looking for advice on types of ladders and what others have found useful for a TC.

I am considering something like this:

Telescoping ladder.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.
35 REPLIES 35

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen many TT's go down the road with a step ladder tied to the ladder that came with the TT. snow birds have a use for a ladder and it's not difficult to carry one with you, just use adjustable straps not bungie cords to hold it on.

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
I always carry. Found a foldup by the dumpster last year in Texas. Not a thing wrong with it.
Bill and Joey the dog

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
WNYBob wrote:
Would leave home with out it.

So, you don't like to carry a ladder :@

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a Louisville 4' CrossStep, step ladder, I keep it across the back seat of my truck to keep it clean and secure. It is pretty thin, fiberglass, and 300 lb. rating. I use it if I have things to do around the camper.

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
Yep......72" GP Logistics folding ladder. Is actually 73" long and will not fit in a 4" pipe. Tried it in 4.5" sewer hose carrier and velcro strap on ladder to hold it closed just barely makes it. I carry it across the top of my rear truck bumper with a couple of straps and it fits there perfect. I want to get a hose carrier across the bumper to stow it in tho because dirt & grime in all the moving parts makes it stiff to open easily. I'm 210lbs and do not feel unsafe on it, but it is what it is so I am careful when using it.
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:

IMHO THIS ONE would be most universal.

I have one of those, works great, stores in no space at all.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I also have one of the GP logistics one (links below) as well as a telescopic one. I like them for different reasons, the step ladder is better for putting up a tarp if expecting rain/snow but the telescopic is good for getting on the roof to clean the solar panels, check the roof etc.

I have a built in ladder on the back of the camper but it doesn't have any handholds on the top so I really have no idea how it is supposed to be used safely.

https://www.amazon.com/GP-Logistics-SLDD7-Compact-Folding/dp/B009IJUL4O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=15069...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmsOd7atirI
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
I got a GP Logistics ladder that folds to 3.5 in X 3.5 in. I don't use it much but it doesn't take up any space.

Link, please? Size of a notecard???

OP- I have the same telescoping ladder. I've used it to setup my cell booster antenna and a few other things. Just watch your fingers when putting it (down mostly).

I always open the bottom sections first, thereby using the heaviest parts of the ladder.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I was building new house, I had 7 different ladders and use them all.
Not only out of convenience of not carrying around, but you will always find a need for different ladder sooner or later.
IMHO THIS ONE would be most universal.
But use caution. Telescopic and folding ladders are not for everyone and when the ladder flex with you 10 feet above concrete pad, you can't panic.
Don't see him around anymore, but ClassA had a member who drop from corner of his motorhome.
He had about 80% of his body in cast for long months.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
I got a GP Logistics ladder that folds to 3.5 in X 3.5 in. I don't use it much but it doesn't take up any space.

Wow!
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:

Had to look that up. Pretty neat ladder. I would like an A frame over straight ladder but it looks a bit light duty for my size.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Would leave home with out it.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:
I have one in my 5er.First I studied the weight rating system and bought This One there really is a weight rating for ladders.

Tips, on mine, I find it works better to put the locks used to collapse the ladder facing away from you. this stops you feet from hitting them.
also they prefer to stay dry.

Thanks for the link! Coming from a construction background I am familiar with ladder ratings.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
towpro wrote:
I have one in my 5er.First I studied the weight rating system and bought This One there really is a weight rating for ladders.

Tips, on mine, I find it works better to put the locks used to collapse the ladder facing away from you. this stops you feet from hitting them.
also they prefer to stay dry.

The wife got one just like the one in the picture at Walmart a bit cheaper. I use it all the time with the TC to get up high and at home too. Nice ladders. Bit heavy though.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB