cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone ever actually have their weight checked/ticketed?

Griffon12
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I just weighed my Ram 2500 with my Lance 825 (lightest model made) and I'm at 9,700ish, combine that with 2 dogs, wife and her rock collection...AT LEAST 10K, 9,000 is gvwr.....It feels and handles great but legally I'm over. Anyone ever actually gotten a ticket? Those poor folks with a short bed half ton cannot possibly be safe:h
1992 Chevy K3500 4X4, utility bed w/custom 1994 Alaskan C/O
2004 Ram 2500 4x4 QC 2010 Lance 825 Kore Chase suspension Hellwig Big Wig Swaybar Big Wig bags Toyo tires
71 REPLIES 71

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
SideHillSoup wrote:

If your talking about me ( from BC) your wrong the Coqu is not the highest mounain pass in Canada open year round. The coqu is just a 4 lane mountain pass that no one ever slows down on no matter the season or weather conditions... The reason for the crashes up there is 98% speed... 1% Hwy conditions, 1% driver ability. You know..... if you slow down and dive for Hwy conditions .... there would most likely be next to nothing for car crashes... becuase they would be driving at 70 km/hr. However everyone wants to get to where where they are going when they think they should be there no matter the road conditions. Using the Coqu is not a good example, ever...on drinking skills..
Soup.

Sooooo.... "98% speed..." doesn't count as poor driving? You lost me, even if I got the wrong pass.

But I do agree, Coq is a terrible example of drinking skills.. lol
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Reality Check wrote:
soren wrote:
burningman wrote:
Holy cow. Thats even more of a made-up story than we started with!
The only way I can imagine telling that one is in a dark room with a flashlight pointing up from your chin.

To call that one a "stretch" doesn't really do justice to it. All I can say is, "wow". Some folks really live in a different world than the one the rest of us occupy. It's like a cross between a really bad country song and made for TV movie. "I used to love RVing, until I overloaded the camper, and crashed into that short bus full of special needs preschoolers. Now I just can't get those images out of my head, and no longer want to camp." What the.......................

ROTFALMAO....^^^

The BC'er above that is talking about the Coq I believe. It is a big hill, lot's of problems, and almost always because of poor driving. I routinely travel it, as two weekends ago, at 28k plus.. but I was careful to look out for the school buses and Prius's (because it's common knowledge that they are dangerous in the snow/ice and shouldn't even be on the road).

Now that I bring that up, I should warn my neighbor about the consequences he could endure if he was in an accident in his Prius in the snow, especially since he knows,or should know, that it is a very poor handling vehicle in those conditions. A good attorney would tear him apart. I'm going next door to talk right now...

If your talking about me ( from BC) your wrong the Coqu is not the highest mounain pass in Canada open year round. The coqu is just a 4 lane mountain pass that no one ever slows down on no matter the season or weather conditions... The reason for the crashes up there is 98% speed... 1% Hwy conditions, 1% driver ability. You know..... if you slow down and dive for Hwy conditions .... there would most likely be next to nothing for car crashes... becuase they would be driving at 70 km/hr. However everyone wants to get to where where they are going when they think they should be there no matter the road conditions. Using the Coqu is not a good example, ever...on drinking skills..
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
The RVs catching fire are almost always due to a propane issue, not overloading.
The other crashes mentioned are poor driving skills. If you’re riding your brakes down a mountain pass, you don’t know how to drive and you’re likely to crash even a properly loaded truck & trailer.

I don’t know how to answer you.... I really really don’t know how to answer someone with the views you have... unbelievable.
One thing...well... maybe a couple things.... have you every lived in the mountains, have you ever driven onto a number of issues on the Hwy where people have died.... ( because of a number of issues, not just over weight) and have you ever driven for a living in said mountains roads, for over 40 years? Weight and loads are always the first thing anyone should be thinking about.... .... think about it...
If you have... then your response to my first post is valid, if not.......?

Soup
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
Can we get this as a sticky please?
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

Griffon12
Explorer
Explorer
How do I un-subscribe? :S
1992 Chevy K3500 4X4, utility bed w/custom 1994 Alaskan C/O
2004 Ram 2500 4x4 QC 2010 Lance 825 Kore Chase suspension Hellwig Big Wig Swaybar Big Wig bags Toyo tires

Bedlam
trail-explorer wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Well most 3/4 tons are rated 10k gvw and that’s artificially low.

Calling a documented weight rating "artificially low" is fake news.

It’s not fake news when do your homework and see what parts are shared between the 2500 and 3500. This is not fake news but rather old news that has been vetted numerous times as truthful.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Well most 3/4 tons are rated 10k gvw and that’s artificially low.

Calling a documented weight rating "artificially low" is fake news.
Bob

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
soren wrote:
burningman wrote:
The only way I can imagine telling that one is in a dark room with a flashlight pointing up from your chin.

To call that one a "stretch" doesn't really do justice to it. All I can say is, "wow". Some folks really live in a different world than the one the rest of us occupy. It's like a cross between a really bad country song and made for TV movie. "I used to love RVing, until I overloaded the camper, and crashed into that short bus full of special needs preschoolers. Now I just can't get those images out of my head, and no longer want to camp." What the.......................

ROTFALMAO....^^^

The BC'er above that is talking about the Coq I believe. It is a big hill, lot's of problems, and almost always because of poor driving. I routinely travel it, as two weekends ago, at 28k plus.. but I was careful to look out for the school buses and Prius's (because it's common knowledge that they are dangerous in the snow/ice and shouldn't even be on the road).

Now that I bring that up, I should warn my neighbor about the consequences he could endure if he was in an accident in his Prius in the snow, especially since he knows,or should know, that it is a very poor handling vehicle in those conditions. A good attorney would tear him apart. I'm going next door to talk right now...
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

soren
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If a person were sued for hitting someone, and overweight was brought into the court as a factor, this forum is the LAST place they'd be.

To begin with, their TC rig is GONE, either wrecked or sold to pay off the settlement. They're not getting a new rig. They're paying off the settlement and can't afford one. Plus, they really don't want to go camping anymore after what happened.

I'd ask if you would ever want to go camping again if your overweight rig was the reason a person was permanently disabled, but I'm sure you'd say "Yes" just to support your view.

When you don't own a camper, and camping is the last thing you'd want to do, you aren't going to be on a camping forum, period.

So, you're NEVER going to get your precious "cite" ever.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
The RVs catching fire are almost always due to a propane issue, not overloading.
The other crashes mentioned are poor driving skills. If you’re riding your brakes down a mountain pass, you don’t know how to drive and you’re likely to crash even a properly loaded truck & trailer.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
soren wrote:
burningman wrote:
Man I’m tired of people making up stories about being sued for being overweight.
Look, if you are at fault in an accident, you’re at fault already. It doesn’t matter WHY you hit someone it only matters THAT you hit them.
Stop with the stories until you can cite even one single example.

The law cares what amount of weight you’ve paid registration for, and there are legal axle and tire limits that pickup trucks really can’t even approach. Owners manual ratings are not legal limits.

Hey now, slow down. All those fact things are hurting the feelings of the many expert members here. If we stick to reality, I lose the chance to giggle at claims like, "as soon as your insurance company knows you are overweight, they will walk away, and let you deal with the accident alone". The caliber of some expert posts here on the forum are enough to make Forrest Gump envious, and you want to ruin it with REALITY? Oh, the humanity............................

I agree with both of these post. I have read similar post so many times over the years. I read several post a member makes thinking they are contributing worthwhile information on various subjects. Then they come up with absolutely ridicules stories that totally destroy their creditability with everything they have ever posted. Do they make this stuff up just to get attention, to have something to say? I am embarrassed for them, but they are entitled to look foolish if they wish.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Bedlam
Something you touched on when talking about weight is speed. You can safely travel with more weight by reducing speed. Until that speed drops to the point that you are a rolling hazard to other drivers, adjusting speed based on weight is prudent. These guys that feel they should be able to do any speed with any load are the most dangerous. If my truck is carrying the camper or towing the trailer I don't travel faster than 65 mph (where posted or higher) and sometimes it is slower based on terrain or weather.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
The laws are more strict up here in British Columbia when it comes to load weight and towing weight restrictions. The hwys and mountain passes can kill you if you make mistakes with your load and or towing load. Every year there is a news report about someone getting hurt, killed or getting in a accident because of weight issues.
I have seen the DOT and the RCMP pull people over that are clearly overloaded. Now I never stopped to see how things turned out, however just by looking at the rig that was pulled over you could see an issue, and most likely they were getting finding out the hard way about the laws up here.
About a 30 minutes from my house, is the highest mountain pass open year round in Canada. A couple years ago a fella from Alberta ( flat lander) was pulling a over loaded trailer with building materials on in crashed and died coming down the western side of the pass. The reason was he overloaded the pickup truck and flat bed trailer, and burned up the breaks coming down the west side and went over the edge on a corner he was traveling to fast for.
Another issue we see are people coming down the mountain passes faster then they should be safely traveling at and they do get their rig stopped only to find out that they just wore out all their breaks. We smell that one daily in our town as we are in a bottom of a valley with two mountain passes on either side of us.
Another thing we see and hear about on the news all the time is a vehicle and especially RV’s over heating and some catching on fire. Last year one RV caught on fire in the Fraser Canyon region and started a Forrest fire.
Now all the things I am saying are the extreams of what “can” happen when overloaded, however why would you ever take a chance with your life, your families life and maybe someone else’s safety that unwillingly gets caught up in your issues on the Hwy.

Some, but not all BC regs on weights

Soup.