cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone running with a leveling kit up front?

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what I'm thinking about doing. I want to increase the size of my tires from 275/70R18's to 295/70R18's to improve the appearance of the truck and get more weight capacity (an increase of 400 lbs). Doing so, however, will require a 2 inch leveling kit up front to prevent rubbing on full turns. My concern, of course, is running nose high when hauling my 3,000 lb fully loaded TC. I'm curious what others have done in this situation. Did you install Stableloads to alleviate a nose high condition? Just curious if going in this direction would create more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.
16 REPLIES 16

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Scott, do you have upper overload leafs in the rear on the 2500? If so get some TL stabilloads to engage them sooner...made world of diff in my truck. But I am a 3500 dually...just wondering! BTW, nice set up!! Reminds me of my Legend 880 we had.
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

poriggity
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a set of Thuren 2" leveling springs up front on my Dodge with 315x70x17 tires... While I love the leveling kit while the camper is off the truck, now that the camper is on the truck, almost full time, the leveling kit is doing me no good, really. I put on a set of Timbren suspension enhancers in the rear to help with the "nose high" feeling I had.. It helped quite a bit, and I am happy.

Scott
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, Long bed quad cab, 315x70x17 Falken AT3W, Timbren SES

No RV at the moment, but in a couple weeks will be the proud owners of a new 2019 No Boundaries 19.5 TT.

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
mello, I have read that there was a recall on some Nitto tires. On another forum they had all sorts of issues with the tires...just check...and Discount is very good in my opinion in taking care of issue...always have for me. Good luck!! Post some pics!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Great feedback from everyone. Thanks! I've decided to just stay with the stock size tires, 275/70R18's. I'm buying a set of Nitto Terra Grappler AT G2's and should get them in a week. Got a great buy on them from Discount Tire for $230 a piece. I'll post pics after I get them installed.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Mike,
Newer Dodge's have a lot more fender clearance (trying to stay up with the Ford clearance) compared to my '01 dinosaur (Dodgesaurus Minimus). I too want to go with bigger diameter tires (with 3.55's) and used 3" spacer lift in the front (which has basically the same set up with quad links as you do), and about 3" of lift on the rear springs, all tolled. This brings it level with a loaded for bear TC. The 3" lift on the front coils require dismantling of the quad links just to get the spring compressor and spring between the seats. Just be aware that a 16.5K winch weighs over 150 pounds (with wire rope; less with nylon rope) and any after market bumper or brush guard adds yet more weight to the front end. That''s why i did not pursue the 2" puck lift in front. You will automatically lose much of that 2" lift. Only if you ordered your Dodge new with the snow plow prep package with those stiffer springs would the 2" coil add ons work.
This may not pertain in your case, but the woe with the '01 Ram is the rear of the front fender opening. There is not a quick and dirty way to relocate the axle farther forward, but i think i beat the system by ordering new quad links for a 6-8" lifted axle which are longer. Since they are longer but applied with only 3" of lift it actually located the front axle about 1-1/2" farther forward giving more fender clearance yet where i need it.
Also beware that you may need a little more lift in the rear with the 3" front coils in front. Adding one more upper secondary leaf ( overload) with your Stable Loads may do the trick. Just take it as it comes and a solution will arrive by trial and error..
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
I went from 315/70/17 to 285/70/17 to increase capacity and better mileage, mileage went up about 1.5 mpg, it looked good with the 315's but when I stop for fuel, I don't care what it looks like
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Was looking at what Dave Smith Motors/Kellogg, Idaho calls their "SlingShot" Ram trucks when out there last fall.

They have the front leveling kit, believe it is 2 inch.

But the "kit" is really only one part. The cap on top of the front springs is just thicker than the factory cap, which results in the 2 inch lift.

Nothing more needs to be changed, but from videos, appears a lot of stuff has to be done to just change those caps.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
If you really want it to look cool go to 19.5's then you get it all, LOOKS AND LOAD. OOPS! Did I start something! ๐Ÿ˜‰

mkasner
Explorer
Explorer

mkasner
Explorer
Explorer
Mike, I installed 35x12.5x18R Atturo Trail Blade MTs on my 14' 3500 stock wheels and never had any issue with rubbing. I do have a 2" Hell Bent Steel leveling kit in the front.

I have since removed the MTs as the mileage hit was extreme!

GpnAZ
Explorer
Explorer
I would check your aftermarket rims specs to the stock rims, this is what I have heard makes the difference. If you would like to meet up to look, pm me.
2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
GpnAZ wrote:
Hi Mike - I am running the Toyo A/T 295-70R-18 on my Ram which is the same as yours, no level, no problems, plenty of room. I did some moderate 4 wheeling with camper and no rubbing. These tires drive nice, though are a little more harsh than the stock Firestones and I lost .5-1mpg even calculating the mph difference. I do have them on factory stock rims.

Hi Mark. That's interesting that you're getting no rub with your 295's on your stock rims. I just got back from Discount Tire and did a test with the 295 Nitto Terra Grappler AT G2's and they absolutely do rub at full turn with my new XD Series zero offset rims. Maybe it's my 450 lb Buckstop front bumper and winch causing my front to ride a little lower?
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

GpnAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Mike - I am running the Toyo A/T 295-70R-18 on my Ram which is the same as yours, no level, no problems, plenty of room. I did some moderate 4 wheeling with camper and no rubbing. These tires drive nice, though are a little more harsh than the stock Firestones and I lost .5-1mpg even calculating the mph difference. I do have them on factory stock rims.
2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
You could use stableloads, timbrens, or air bags. The biggest issue is with taller tires as well you'll be a few inches higher. Not a great thing but you'd probably still be OK. Obviously, lower is less top heavy.

That being said, be careful about how you level the front. There are some kits that may not hold up. I don't know about Ram ones.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member