cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone towed a 70"s 31ft Airstream?

desertratt1
Explorer
Explorer
If so what did you think? what kind of MPG you get towing? Would this be easier to tow than a fiver? Would it work for fulltiming? 31ft sovereign rear bath twins...

Thanks...
18 REPLIES 18

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
desertratt1 wrote:
Wow! This is some great info!! Thanks everyone keep posting this awesome!!

(Almost) everything Airstream here...

Airstream Trailer & MH Owners Community - - "Air Forums"...;)

~

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have no ownership experience, but my dream RV is a 34 Ft Triple axle with a front lounge and a rear island queeen bed... Mid Bath! ahhh Yeah!!!!
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Why I get 20 MPG uphill on 4 inches of snow in Colorado going backwards. Towed one, a 1975 30 ft. Rode and pulled smooth. Didn't like the curved ceiling but well built.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a short video of what it means to own an Airstream by Airstream folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=15qB_Z5Dg4o
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

desertratt1
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! This is some great info!! Thanks everyone keep posting this awesome!!

Oregon_Ms
Explorer
Explorer
Just made the switch from my much loved motorhome/toad to a 25' Airstream and returned from a 7000mi maiden voyage two days ago. I went up and down mountains and plowed through 40 mph winds (and a little snow). If I had had my motorhome it would have been white knuckle driving, as it was, I didn't even feel the wind.

What space I may have lost in my motorhome basement was well made up for in that I now have a whole pickup bed to fill with "stuff".

So far, no regrets (well, except that I have to work on my backing up skills, but that will come).

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
By the way I read recently that over 90% of the Airstreams ever produced are still registered or in use.

I think that number is more like 70 percent; however, very impressive since they have been made since the 1930's. How many other manufacturers are still in business making RV's that were also making RV's when Airstream started? Maybe Shasta, but more likely none. Airstream is a quality product, an American icon, and has stood the test of time. No RV says America as well as an Airstream; kind of like Harley-Davidson motorcycles, Boeing airliners, and Hinkley sailboats.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
By the way I read recently that over 90% of the Airstreams ever produced are still registered or in use.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had two. Shorter ones 16 and 22. They towed straight and true.
Almost maintenance free compared to a class A.

My folks traveled extensively over most of North America in various sized AS for months at a time. Everything from 22 to 35 when they started to get older and park in one place (Ohio)for six months in the summer.

As far as storage goes we now have a 38DP with tons of storage and I can tell you it is packed to the gills with stuff I don't really need but take because I can.

You take what you have room for. We took our 22' AS out west for 12 weeks years ago and did just fine.

We are now in the process of selling our house, taking a few more trips in the DP
and are going to sell it and buy a 31' AS or some other TT with one slide.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Long story short, but friends went from a 15 foot Terry to a 25 foot AS. Parked door to door we helped them move stuff from old to new. After a couple of hours wife yells, "were out of room" so about 25% of the stuff from the old trailer went in the garage. Airstream because of their design have less sheer volume. Smaller overhead cabinets, less overall storage space foot for foot than a box shape trailer.

......and the folks that have actually owned, towed and even lived in an Airstream say otherwise.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
In my experience towing is towing...after a few tows anything no matter the size and with the right setup is doable and you become comfortable with it. The right setup is the key.

With a 31 ft you'll want at least a 3/4 ton tow vehicle, pickup, van or suburban type vehicle. You can expect no more than 12MPG average when towing, I would use 10MPG as a rule of thumb for decision making process. Most TT owners report 6 to 12 MPG depending on their rig and driving style so 10MPG is a good figure to use.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
As we have owned 3 Airstreams I feel qualified to comment. You would be impressed with how well they tow. The mpg is unknown as I don't know what tow v you are using. Your mpg will be better with an Airstream than any other brand of trailer or 5th wheel due to shape and design. The storage space is there it is just reachable from the inside of the RV rather than the outside. This reduces leaks and prevents theft. If I was going to full time I would either purchase a large class A or an Airstream. The Airstream will last much longer with fewer maintenance issues. I wish I had kept our first Airstream. I would have saved a lot of money as we have owned a class A, a 5th wheel, and now an Airstream again.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
DownTheAvenue wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Towing is about the same as towing anything else. Suitable for full timing? Not likely unless your used to the minimalist life. Theey have a mystique about them that just does not stand up to everyday life. Yea, they were built well, but still use the same appliances as every other RV brand on the market. The aerodynamic shape reduces storage to nearly nonexistant.

Not sure where these opinions come from, but having owned Airstream and conventional wood framed RV, I can tell you because of thoughtful design and engineering, I had more storage in a 25' Airstream than a 30' conventional RV.

Not sure what "They have a mystique about them that does not stand up to everyday life." means, but I can tell you I lived full time in my Airstream for many years quite successfully.

With all due respect, I bet donn0128 has never owned or even towed an Airstream.

Long story short, but friends went from a 15 foot Terry to a 25 foot AS. Parked door to door we helped them move stuff from old to new. After a couple of hours wife yells, "were out of room" so about 25% of the stuff from the old trailer went in the garage. Airstream because of their design have less sheer volume. Smaller overhead cabinets, less overall storage space foot for foot than a box shape trailer.

rogerjhoffman
Explorer
Explorer
My mom and dad had a 31 foot 71 Airstream that they towed with a Chevy Suburban (454). They did not full time but spent 6 months a year in it and pulled it from Ohio to Florida, Nova Scotia and south into Mexico. The Suburban got around 15 mpg as an average and that dropped to about 11 mpg when pulling the Airstream. 454's were not known to be miserly, but pulled this setup effortlessly.

They really enjoyed their trailer and my dad was impressed with the low exterior maintenance that he had to do compared to other trailer owners they encountered. I have used the Airstream several times and alway thought it towed, setup and lived quite easily.