cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone towing with mild lift kit and larger tires?

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
Researching tow vehicle for first camper. Likely 3/4 ton longbed and 6.5-7k lb camper. We need good off road Performance for interests aside from camping so I researched this and talked with folks. Many had jacked up trucks with 37's and such.

But still, report good towing performance based on their feedback. I won't go to that extreme, but splitting middle of two vantage points if you will. Many say stock tires, and if you use off road tire or a lift kit, you will die. Which is ridiculous. The folks saying that are folks that have never towed with a lifted truck and bigger tires in my opinion.

Then again, I don't believe all that the young bucks propose either, jacked up 4-8" trucks with huge nobbies. They as a whole are buying this stuff for looks. I'm trying to factor in all opinions. That has me wanting custom wheels for wider rims, not just looks, to support 35x12.5x18 Cooper ST MAXX tires. Very good tow ratings on this tire as I can tell, but I'm new to this so research for yourself. Would value any feedback. Specs are on Cooper site.

A 2-4" suspension lift kit, and more commonly just a leveling kit is required to prevent any rubbing at full turn. I'm comfortable with either, but won't go beyond that due to possible handling issues, excessive raising of truck center of gravity, steering stabilizers often needed, compensatory stuff. But a mild suspension high quality lift or basic leveling kit with 35's I am feeling good about. This is based on a 3/4 ton truck. What's needed for clearance varies by make/model. Some get by with heavy duty front suspension or snow plow prep options.

The folks using ST MAXX I heard from are getting 40-50k per set, report low road noise, and good handling solo or towing. And great offroad performance of course, which is what motivates this compromise. I conceed it won't tow as well as a stock truck with highway tires. I just feel the degree to which this impacts towing is vastly overstated here, and elsewhere. We all have different needs, and highway tires won't be adequate for some of my interest.

18x9 or 18x10 wheels will avoid the marshmallo effect that many get when stuffing big tires on factory rims. This is a safety issue and would adversely effect towing performance in my opinion. I have no first hand knowledge and this could be a costly experiment. But I think that's unlikely. I'm willing to give the 35x12.5x18 a chance.

Would appreciate any feedback from folks actually towing with lifted trucks with bigger tires. I've read all the criticisms from folks about this from folks that only use stock ride height and tire sizes. If you have not towed with a lifted truck with bigger tires, you can't answer my question. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate and factor in that vantage point. But I'm in need of input from people actually towing with my intended lift and tire combo.

Dan
48 REPLIES 48

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Danattherock wrote:
Researching tow vehicle for first camper. Likely 3/4 ton longbed and 6.5-7k lb camper. We need good off road Performance for interests aside from camping so I researched this and talked with folks. Many had jacked up trucks with 37's and such.

But still, report good towing performance based on their feedback. I won't go to that extreme, but splitting middle of two vantage points if you will. Many say stock tires, and if you use off road tire or a lift kit, you will die. Which is ridiculous. The folks saying that are folks that have never towed with a lifted truck and bigger tires in my opinion.

Then again, I don't believe all that the young bucks propose either, jacked up 4-8" trucks with huge nobbies. They as a whole are buying this stuff for looks. I'm trying to factor in all opinions. That has me wanting custom wheels for wider rims, not just looks, to support 35x12.5x18 Cooper ST MAXX tires. Very good tow ratings on this tire as I can tell, but I'm new to this so research for yourself. Would value any feedback. Specs are on Cooper site.

A 2-4" suspension lift kit, and more commonly just a leveling kit is required to prevent any rubbing at full turn. I'm comfortable with either, but won't go beyond that due to possible handling issues, excessive raising of truck center of gravity, steering stabilizers often needed, compensatory stuff. But a mild suspension high quality lift or basic leveling kit with 35's I am feeling good about. This is based on a 3/4 ton truck. What's needed for clearance varies by make/model. Some get by with heavy duty front suspension or snow plow prep options.

The folks using ST MAXX I heard from are getting 40-50k per set, report low road noise, and good handling solo or towing. And great offroad performance of course, which is what motivates this compromise. I conceed it won't tow as well as a stock truck with highway tires. I just feel the degree to which this impacts towing is vastly overstated here, and elsewhere. We all have different needs, and highway tires won't be adequate for some of my interest.

18x9 or 18x10 wheels will avoid the marshmallo effect that many get when stuffing big tires on factory rims. This is a safety issue and would adversely effect towing performance in my opinion. I have no first hand knowledge and this could be a costly experiment. But I think that's unlikely. I'm willing to give the 35x12.5x18 a chance.

Would appreciate any feedback from folks actually towing with lifted trucks with bigger tires. I've read all the criticisms from folks about this from folks that only use stock ride height and tire sizes. If you have not towed with a lifted truck with bigger tires, you can't answer my question. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate and factor in that vantage point. But I'm in need of input from people actually towing with my intended lift and tire combo.

Dan

The fact is, features that make a vehicle superior off-road directly fly in the face of features that make a vehicle an ideal stable towing vehicle on-road.

I think the trick is, as you are doing, consider your modifications carefully.

This coming from someone who had an (old) truck lifted 6", on Super Swamper tires, front and rear locked differentials, and no swaybars front or rear. Yes I would drive it on the street, but towing even a small trailer (all I ever did) with it was not a relaxing experience. Mine was not done for looks, but strictly for aggressive off-road driving.

As you say, if you measured a stock truck, vs. a lifted truck with taller tires, there aren't many (any?) on-road performance tests that the modified truck will improve upon the stock vehicle. I don't feel comfortable recommending you reduce the handling/stability of a tow vehicle, only you can determine your acceptable comfort level.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Danattherock wrote:

Regarding warranty, nothing I'm doing will void warranty.

Dan

Oh, it will void some of the warranty.
Larger tires WILL impart more stress on some components, such as the tranny, brakes, U joints steering components, etc. They will also lower the trucks ratings. How much is debatable, but it for sure will be operating in parameters beyond what it was designed for and tested for. Any component that the manufacturer thinks the larger tires may impart more stress on will likely have the warranty voided.
That said, there can be some things you may be able to do when buying the truck that can help.

When I bought my 96 Dodge 1 ton SRW, I wanted bigger tires. So I selected the optional 4.10 gears over the standard 3.55s. That simple cheap decision allowed me to use larger tires with the close to the same performance of the stock tires. It also protected the tranny and u joints from extra stress I did have premature service/replacement needed on the wheel bearings and brakes, which were adversely affected by the larger tires... Wanna play gotta pay.

As for leveling kits.. I am not really a fan of them for what you are wanting to accomplish. Since pickup trucks tend to be high in the rear when empty, leveling kits were invented to raise the front to match the rear. This works OK when empty. Put a load on the rear though and it will sag in the rear. Air bags can fix that, but it just shows how one mod can require the next etc. And my experience with air bag reliability has been less than I would expect. Seems like one is always leaking.

I also think that 35s are more than needed for 4x4 use. People who go that big are generally doing it for looks. The performance from larger tires starts to diminish after about 33" on full size trucks.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
Any special requirements when selecting a WD hitch for lifted truck.

Anderson a good choice?

Saw a video, looked interesting. Simple.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a fifth wheel with a 2005 Dodge; 3" lift and 35's. Zero issues, towed great. (yes the trailer was lifted too)

2011 Ram on 33" with a leveling kit we towed a travel trailer. Towed just fine. Front ball joints got sloppy around 40k miles, maybe accelerated by the big tires.

Those were diesels and the tire size did not impede towing at all. The 05 I thought actually towed better. IIRC it had 3.73 and on a grade if it dropped out of OD at highway speed it was screaming. With the 35's it dropped the revs down to where the direct drive rpm was much more palatable. At least at my towing speeds.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Oldcow
Explorer
Explorer
My TV is a 2010 Tundra with 2" lift front and 1" lift rear. I have BF Goodrich AT KO2 tires and Fuel wheels. My TT is 2013 Outback 300RB, 34 feet, 7500lbs empty with a 1000lb tongue weight. I have an equalizer WDH.

No issues at all, towed over 8,000 kms to date with it.

I don't drive by many gas stations :).

Oldcow
2013 Outback 300RB TT
2010 Tundra

HTElectrical
Explorer
Explorer
I tow my trailer which is 11,600 LBS with a 7" to 9" Cognito lift set a 7", on 35" Hankook tires. Deaver springs in the back, Heim joints and upgraded Cognito Tie Rods. No problem at all.

2007 Duramax, Cognito 7"-9" Lift,

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks man. I heard from many folks on varying forums that seemed real happy with the ST MAXX. I'm still a little torn on 18 vs 20, but the tire I'm pretty sure of. The real question will be what brand, and height, suspension lift kit to go with. Don't want to alter stock ride quality any more than is needed. Line in the sand is a 4" lift kit.

Dan

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Just a comment, but the Cooper ST Maxx with those 3 ply sidewalls should be a great tire for you.

Heard nothing but good things about them from friends and acquaintances who run them.

I tried to get a set for my previous tow vehicle, but at the time, and location (eastern Washington state) no one stocked them.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^ that's great to hear. Thank you.

Regarding Power Wagon suggestions, it's not available in mega cab.

Mega cab is only reason I'm considering a Ram.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Dan
NC

Vannnce
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 4" lift with 35-12.50-17's on my rig and pull my 13,600 lb fifth wheel with no problems, very comfortable to haul. I also like my nittos, have gotten very good mileage out of them.
'02 f350 ECLB with some goodies. B&W/ Companion
2002 fleetwood prowler 32R-D
Full time RV'er, currently in Houston, TX

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
I would check out the Ram Power Wagon for something with off road performance and can tow. The Power Wagon runs on 33.2 inch tires(it can fit 35s without any modifications) just like the regular Ram 2500 and is the same height in the rear as the regular Ram 2500 as well. The only difference in height is the front which is two inches higher from being level with the rear. Even with 33 inch tires and no lift, a Power Wagon can take you more places you are willing to take a 40K truck than most other 4x4 truck with just a lift an larger tires.

As you said, most lifts are just for looks (poser street queens) and in many cases a lift actually hurts off road capabilities by raising the trucks center of gravity while offering no real benefits over a non lifted or leveled truck. The whole purpose of a lift is to be able to fit larger tires, increase your angles(to a point), and to be able to articulate the suspension without your wheel tearing up your fender well. Anything passed that is just for show to pose as an off roader. Although upgrades such as lockers or off road springs/coils would make your truck a lot more capable off road than one with just a lift and overly large tires.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1984 Chevy 4X4 2500 longbed & cab high campershell (cap). The truck was modified with an aftermarket 3 inch spring lift setup. The springs replaced the stock units and provided 3 inches of lift. The stock overload springs were retained but re-positioned to contact the new springs properly. The aftermarket springs were designed to lift while providing a soft ride compared to lift kits.

I used 16 inch rims with 33inch mud & snow tires tires - wide but don't remember the width.

My brother, a steel fabricator, took my stock equalizer hitch and added a new shank on top of the old to drop the hitch so my 23ft TT towed level.

This whole setup towed beautifully. Very sable and the ride was very comfortable.

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
Navigator and Expedition seemed great. We just decided to go with 3/4 ton truck for increased payload, and safety margin. Also, the ability to carry our Sotar whitewater raft in bed short distances to/from river after unhooking the camper. Will transport to Smoky Mountains rolled up, and assemble at campground. But with SUV this won't be possible.

Regarding warranty, nothing I'm doing will void warranty.

Dan

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
What happened to the Navigator?

You could pull that size trailer fine with a mild lift and 35s. The stock tires on my Ram are 33.2" and I bet you could run 35s without any lift, or at most just a front leveling kit. My only advice on lifting is to do it the right way and not the cheapest way. Once you narrow down a specific model, go to a message board for owners and find out the right way to do things.

If you're lifting and driving offroad a lot I highly recommend a Ford or Ram over a GM. The SFA is stouter, performs better offroad and you should have fewer issues with it than you would with the IFS on the GM trucks. Plus if you go diesel, that DEF tank is just asking to get smashed. If you're going with a gas model I would highly recommend checking out the Powerwagon because you don't have to void a warranty to get the things you're wanting to add, and it performs well right off the lot (maybe the tires need to be upgraded, I'm not sure what they come with stock).
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
That's what I'm seeing as well. That's why many get heavy duty front suspension or snow plow prep, to clear in front.

Good points about wheel ratings, will follow up on that. Fuel is wheel brand, Throttle is type, black with silver accents.

Camper will be Airstream, likely 30' weighing in around 7k lbs, maybe slightly more loaded. Dual axles. Suspension, all I've read suggest a good towing trailer.

Truck will be Ram mega cab 2500 or Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax long bed.

Wheel specs here... 18x9 or 18x10, or 20x9, 20x10. Unsure.

Wheels

Tire specs here... 290 or 305, 60/65, 18. Might look at 35x12.5x20's

Tires

Would appreciate any criticism or comment.

Dan