cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone towing with mild lift kit and larger tires?

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
Researching tow vehicle for first camper. Likely 3/4 ton longbed and 6.5-7k lb camper. We need good off road Performance for interests aside from camping so I researched this and talked with folks. Many had jacked up trucks with 37's and such.

But still, report good towing performance based on their feedback. I won't go to that extreme, but splitting middle of two vantage points if you will. Many say stock tires, and if you use off road tire or a lift kit, you will die. Which is ridiculous. The folks saying that are folks that have never towed with a lifted truck and bigger tires in my opinion.

Then again, I don't believe all that the young bucks propose either, jacked up 4-8" trucks with huge nobbies. They as a whole are buying this stuff for looks. I'm trying to factor in all opinions. That has me wanting custom wheels for wider rims, not just looks, to support 35x12.5x18 Cooper ST MAXX tires. Very good tow ratings on this tire as I can tell, but I'm new to this so research for yourself. Would value any feedback. Specs are on Cooper site.

A 2-4" suspension lift kit, and more commonly just a leveling kit is required to prevent any rubbing at full turn. I'm comfortable with either, but won't go beyond that due to possible handling issues, excessive raising of truck center of gravity, steering stabilizers often needed, compensatory stuff. But a mild suspension high quality lift or basic leveling kit with 35's I am feeling good about. This is based on a 3/4 ton truck. What's needed for clearance varies by make/model. Some get by with heavy duty front suspension or snow plow prep options.

The folks using ST MAXX I heard from are getting 40-50k per set, report low road noise, and good handling solo or towing. And great offroad performance of course, which is what motivates this compromise. I conceed it won't tow as well as a stock truck with highway tires. I just feel the degree to which this impacts towing is vastly overstated here, and elsewhere. We all have different needs, and highway tires won't be adequate for some of my interest.

18x9 or 18x10 wheels will avoid the marshmallo effect that many get when stuffing big tires on factory rims. This is a safety issue and would adversely effect towing performance in my opinion. I have no first hand knowledge and this could be a costly experiment. But I think that's unlikely. I'm willing to give the 35x12.5x18 a chance.

Would appreciate any feedback from folks actually towing with lifted trucks with bigger tires. I've read all the criticisms from folks about this from folks that only use stock ride height and tire sizes. If you have not towed with a lifted truck with bigger tires, you can't answer my question. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate and factor in that vantage point. But I'm in need of input from people actually towing with my intended lift and tire combo.

Dan
48 REPLIES 48

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
What type of camper? will it be a travel trailer, popup, fifth-wheel?

With a 5er, you could definitely have some issues possible, but with at TT or popup, i think you can easily accommodate lifting to some extent.

I don't have a lift or over-sized tires, but my 14 Ram has 285/60-20's on it. They are 33.5" tall. I seriously think 35's would fit without any lift necessary on the rear and not much lift on the front.
2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Quite a few folks at our quad races pull campers with lifted trucks. I've heard of no issues at all. Of course, they all pretty much have to stick with TTs and no 5ers.

I've heard good things from the Nittos. Good tread life and good E rating weights.

Just don't forget the rims. If you plan to stay true to your GVWR numbers, make sure you're aftermarket wheels are up to the task. Many are not when it comes to E ratings.

Vanished
Explorer
Explorer
I've towed quite a few miles with a stock 2006 Dodge Power Wagon on 35's - NEVER any issues with my old 6k bumper pull camper. These trucks come from the factory with a mild (~2" lift), agressive tires, sway bar disconnect and lockers..
2019 Ford F350 4x4 diesel DRW
2021 Grand Design Momentum 28G

copeland343
Explorer
Explorer
Check wheel weight rating before you buy, most aftermarket wheels are a lot less not a little than factory. Also make sure the wheels are hub centric not lug centric that will effect your load rating also.