cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone tried the Ram air ride yet on a 3500/TC combo?

hbski
Explorer
Explorer
I know this has been posted, but that thread is pretty long. Ordering a new truck and just wondering if anyone has this set up yet.

The problem is it going into protection mode, but it also seems like add a leafs could be added to the minimal leaves that are in the system to keep that from happening.
'06 Dodge 3500 4x4 QC LB DRW
Ride-Rites, Hellwig, Torklift Tiedowns, Fast Guns, Superhitch
'07 Okanagan 117DBL
14 REPLIES 14

Bedlam
Grit dog wrote:
Good to know. A 1150 AF has gotta be over 5klb loaded up right? Sounds like a dream setup for heavy haulers.
How's it handle the sway and roll with that big camper?

I just spoke with a new AF990 owner that weighs in a 5100 lbs when fully loaded. I expected about 500 lbs heavier than my AF811 and was surprised to find it 1100 lbs more. I didn't inquire what was packed in the TC - Maybe they like cast iron pots and skillets?

Most of the people I have talked with that own an AF1150 are around 5500 lbs when loaded up.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
It handles great. I went to the knob creek MG shoot a month ago and It was extra heavy. I had 16k rds of ammo with me and 4 belt feds. Had a great time and came home lighter. Very little sway or anything. I have had this TC on 3 trucks and this one is the best.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good to know. A 1150 AF has gotta be over 5klb loaded up right? Sounds like a dream setup for heavy haulers.
How's it handle the sway and roll with that big camper?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
My RAM still has springs and over load springs if I were to lose air. These seem like normal air bags just to level the load. But they have a couple settings on them. I run it in alt mode all the time.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is that protect mode does something like that - too bad Ram won't say.

On the Ram, does anyone know what happens if air pressure is lost? On the 3500 it just seems to be an airbag assist like an aftermarket system, so I imagine it settles onto the bump stops and you drive slowly to the dealer?
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I MIGHT have explanation of protection mode base on my experience with Mercedes air suspension.
As we all should know- air compressor is a piece of machinery that wears out with the time and drops the performance.
Let's say your suspension need 100 psi to raise empty truck, but 150 psi to raise it loaded.
You drive it empty for a year, so don't even notice that compressor no longer can deliver 150 psi.
So you load the truck and compressor work and work and work and will never raise the truck. That would lead to compressor motor burn out and other problems, so computer will shut off the compressor after about 2 minutes and keep it off for few minutes to cool down.
Than makes another attempt and another. After few attempts computer assumes something is badly wrong with the system and puts it in protect mode.
Again, this is how it work on Mercedes, so might loosely apply do Dodge.
Aftermarket compressor ring for rebuild sells for $17, so it is not big cost for DIY, but dealers want to put whole new unit for about $700 total.

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
HMS Beagle wrote:
Steve_in_29 wrote:
HMS Beagle wrote:
What is protect mode?

I'm about to air ride my Ford, trying to understand the lingo..

"Protect mode" is not applicable to your situation.

The air bags the OP is asking about are part of the Ram's factory suspension that take the place of most of the rear spring and not an aftermarket add-on.

That didn't quite explain what protect mode is.

What I am doing to the Ford will remove ALL of the rear spring, not just most of it. Not air bag assists. I assume protect mode has something to do with a blown bag or no air pressure, and I would be interested to know what Ram does.
Since "protect mode" is most likely a Ram specific factory feature as I said it isn't applicable. Plus from what hbski posted it sounds like it simply stops the system from constantly running as it tries to level the load that won't level.

Since you are going with a full replacement air-ride suspension I suggest you contact the manufacturer of that specific setup for what their system is programed to do.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Huh.

There's some odd things in the manual (such as having to start the vehicle and let it idle for 60 seconds every 24 hours if it has air suspension) but while "protect mode" is mentioned a number of times, never does it describe what "protect mode" does. Limit pressure? Turn off self leveling? blow the bags completely? It's a secret I guess.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

hbski
Explorer
Explorer
From the owners manual:

Protection Mode
In order to “protect” the air suspension system, the
vehicle will enter Protection Mode when load leveling
cannot be achieved.
'07 Okanagan 117DBL

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Steve_in_29 wrote:
HMS Beagle wrote:
What is protect mode?

The air bags the OP is asking about are part of the Ram's factory suspension that take the place of most of the rear spring and not an aftermarket add-on.

That didn't quite explain what protect mode is.

What I am doing to the Ford will remove ALL of the rear spring, not just most of it. Not air bag assists. I assume protect mode has something to do with a blown bag or no air pressure, and I would be interested to know what Ram does.

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
HMS Beagle wrote:
What is protect mode?

2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
What is protect mode?

hbski
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks zb39

Has yours ever gone into protect mode? and if so, what does it do? Just shut down? lower to a certain pressure?
'07 Okanagan 117DBL

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it works great with my AF1150 and I'm loaded heavy.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride