cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone use the Progressive hardwire surge?? not showing amps

yankeeslover
Explorer
Explorer
I installed my 30 amp power protector yesterday... I wont nor dont claim to be an electrician but it wasnt that hard to install for this novice.. i just took out the junction box where the shore power came in and replaced that box with this power protector... This has the digital readout thingy.. Anyways, everything works fine execpt it keeps sayin 0 for amps... its supposed to read my Amp usuage.. im assuming the amp sensor is that little right thing, so i took it apart and made sure the arrow was pointed right and is over the black output wire and it is.. what else would cause this? and is this unit normal to have a slight humming sound to it? its inside the cabinet and u can hear it if you listen for it... its not too bad, and most noises drown it out.... thanks again..
10 REPLIES 10

Jframpey
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted mine on the power center cover...

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted the display low on a cabinet facing the door in my 5vr. It was simple, it doesn't bother us in the evening being so bright and when I plug the trailer in I can check it without even going inside. It is just above the propane detector and awning control.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's in a cabinet above the TV and the door can be left open without being in the way. I've put other equipment in the same cabinet.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the comments. Is yours behind the door?

No problems fishing wiring around myself and actually did some in the past week to add some switches and SensarPro signal finder. The arched ceilings sure don't give you much space to get your hands in there. ๐Ÿ˜ž You're right, there are in fact many access points and anything on the ceiling that is removable is fair game and even the little holes behind the lights will work.

What I was wondering is where to have/see the display. It's really bright in the dark and we don't want it to get annoying. As it is, the radio has blue lighting and the microwave is green. With a red one there too it'd look like Xmas, lol. The display panel isn't designed for a standard flush cover plate either and it will stick out from the wall.

I'm not sure where others typically put their display panel...

CA Traveler wrote:
myredracer wrote:
The burning question remaining for me is where to mount the remote readout. I could fish the wire up a wall and through a ceiling but the display is bright red and maybe it would be better inside an upper storage cabinet where I can get to it easily.
Ceiling speakers and AC vents can provide access. I've fished wires in walls. Start with a early morning moisture pattern to locate studs.

Mine is located in a upper cabinet which works out well.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
myredracer wrote:
The burning question remaining for me is where to mount the remote readout. I could fish the wire up a wall and through a ceiling but the display is bright red and maybe it would be better inside an upper storage cabinet where I can get to it easily.
Ceiling speakers and AC vents can provide access. I've fished wires in walls. Start with a early morning moisture pattern to locate studs.

Mine is located in a upper cabinet which works out well.

Bob

mikebo
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same thing happen when I first installed mine. It was defective. Call Progressive, they have great customer service. They will walk you testing.
Mike

2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2010 CRV toad

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just installed one and it was a piece of cake. Our TT manufacturer was even kind enough to have provided a space right beside the panel of just the right size for the EMS.

The display should continually cycle through amps, volts, hertz and error code (E0 if all okay).

There is the little "donut" (doughnut in Canada) current sensor that goes in the hot wire. It has an arrow on it and it needs to be pointed in the direction of the ground terminal. Not sure why it matters but that's what the instructions specifically says to do. Maybe you got the sensor turned around or the line and neutral wires reversed? The sensor MUST be in the hot wire. There isn't exactly a whole lot of space to massage the #10 wire and sensor into place.

The instructions aren't super clear on how to connect the wires and the T and L markings on the contactor are kind of small and hard to read. It would be nice if they had a diagram. Make sure you don't have the T1 and L1 connections mixed up.

The humming sound is okay. It has a contactor (relay) in it to shut the power off when called for. The humming is just 60 cycle hum of the coil. If it's loud enough to be objectionable when it's all covered up, then I'd call PI. Can't remember seeing screws holding down the contactor, but you could try tightening them if there are any.

As an aside, being an EE, I wasn't overly impressed with the internal ground screw to connect the ground conductors of the line and load 30 amp cables. I used a red twist-on marrette connector to connect the cable grounds directly together and ran a 3rd ground wire of same size as the in the cable over to the ground terminal with a crimp connector. The little grounding screw really is LITTLE and it wouldn't be good for the connection to loosen over time.

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
You should see an amp usage all the time. Mine is typically 1 to 2 amps because of the radio,CO detectors and such. If you turn on the Ac or microwave you should see a big jump. Do you get any error codes? Yes the round core should have the black wire passing through it and be connected on the positive feed in wire. Reseat connections on the green circuit board if you already haven't done. You can call directly to progressive industries. They have a great help desk.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The bypass switch works OK? Does the voltage drop when you turn on a heavy load?

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you have the HW30C? 0A when you turn on a heavy load? Does a household tester indicated the wiring is OK? Perhaps you have miswired the box? Voltage and HZ display OK with no error codes? I could listen to my HW50C next week.

Bob