cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone utilizing space forward of the wheel wells?

idaho_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Question to this seasoned group:

Is anyone using the space between the TC and the truck, forward of the wheel wells?

My dad had a TC when I was growing up (which is a major factor in why I have one for my own now), and he went thru the trouble of installing hinged doors in his camper to access this otherwise unused area. We stashed various stuff down there: soda, clothes, fishing tackle, etc.

My current TC being an AF with the basement, there's not nearly as much unused space forward of the wheel wells as there was on my dad's 1974 model year camper. And I'm not too keen anyway of cutting holes in my camper. But seems like it might be a reasonable location to put an extra batter or two.

Anyone got any mods you're willing to share?
25 REPLIES 25

Bob__B
Explorer
Explorer
That's one thing I miss about my old camper that had doors to access the area in front and behind the wheel wells .....
2007 Lance 1181, 2013 Chevy 3500 DRW

TCBob
Explorer
Explorer
Yes we have doors on each side. Very useful! Left front has a couple of jack stands I use with 4' 2X6 when TC unloaded for extra stability (and piece of mind for DW) That space also extra shoes, dirty cloths, empty bottles ect. Usually carry Colman propane stove over wheel well on that side. Right side extra 12 v battery in marine style battery box, gray & drinking water hoses, piece of plywood for extended table top, couple of tarps and assorted 2x blocks.
Have been planning on adding brackets for shovel, full size ax, and extended jack under side wing, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I access those spaces both from inside thru the hatches and outside over the edge.
2004 S&S 8.5 SC Ponderosa
1999 Ford F-350 4X4 7.3-PSD DRW

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
JimK-NY wrote:
MORSNOW wrote:
..... but I didn't want them exposed to rain, so in the cab they'll stay.

I had the same concern. Early in my TC travels I drove through a very heavy rainstorm. The wheel well area remained totally dry. My only concern has been critters. I camped in one area where birds decided to build a nest. Later I had small mice encamp. Mothballs handle those issues.

Good to know, I'll have to check mine out after driving in the rain I guess. I assumed water would follow the curve of the cabover and run down into the space so I only put things that didn't mater if exposed.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
idaho_camper wrote:
Fisher Bill wrote:
Fire wood on one side and dog food and accessories on the other

Does your year AF have access doors, or did you have to do some cutting to enable access?

It's a 2000 model and yes it came with the little doors to the bed so pretty convenient.

One time I forgot the wood was there and tried to unload the unit when I realized the wood had jammed and so I had to reach in from the top and play with the jacks to free it up.

Won't do that again...
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is hard to access. I keep tire chains in the winter and a logging chain year around. Otherwise its seldom used.

Cabman_850
Explorer
Explorer
Very valuable space. I keep a shovel, limb saw, shore power cord and firewood in that space. As the firewood dwindles, I keep our fly fishing boots in there.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
MORSNOW wrote:
..... but I didn't want them exposed to rain, so in the cab they'll stay.

I had the same concern. Early in my TC travels I drove through a very heavy rainstorm. The wheel well area remained totally dry. My only concern has been critters. I camped in one area where birds decided to build a nest. Later I had small mice encamp. Mothballs handle those issues.

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
I have access to both sides through small doors. I keep extra water jugs and 12 packs of beer in the space. I thought about carrying some tools in there, but I didn't want them exposed to rain, so in the cab they'll stay.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
My 2006 Shadow Craft has doors on both side and I make full use of them. I have some square plastic pails that just fit through the door. I keep a small gasifier stove with enough scrap lumber pieces in one bucket for a couple of evening fires, makes a little camp fire with almost no smoke. In the same wheel well is a second bucket with extra paper towels, tp and other misc stuff. That door also gives me access to a few extra 2X8s on top of the wheel well for extra leveling if needed (primaries are behind the wheel well accesable from outside). The other side, all the way to the front, there is an extra battery I added that plugs into the side of the camper and is wired to a switch to flip between main battery and reserve. A basket for misc and we also put dirty close in plastic grocery bags and stuff them in that area. I also built cradles that hold our bag awning in that side of the truck above the wheel well and everything else, the full length of the truck.

Wouldn't know what to do with all my **** without the wheel well storage.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I store my fold up ladder along the side
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Northstar has the access doors. I've used the space for things like water bottles, dirty laundry in a garbage bag, chocks/levelers or just abut anything that I don't care if it's exposed to the weather.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
My '95 Lance 880 has wheel well access doors fore and aft on both sides. Great for a bunch of extras that are sort of impervious to weather, for example an extra 30A extension cord, sewer hose support, folding shovel, folding trash bin, etc, etc.

With this storage there is actually more useful space in my current non slide old Lance then there was in my upscale '05 Lance 981Max with full wall slide!
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

Bedlam
My Arctic Fox with basement has the floor starting above the wheel wells and is wider than the gap between the wells. There is enough room to house a battery that is wheel well height, but that is about all. There is no real way to reach in from the exterior side to access items under this sub-wing overhang nor do I see a good place to add a door in the wall or floor for access.

It seems this space is best utilized for things that can be loaded prior to mounting the TC and do not need to be accessed until the TC is removed. Access doors are easier if you do not have a basement and the floor sits on the pickup bed.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I have doors on the street side in front, and behind the wheel. I keep the tripod feet for my jacks in the front area, padded with a scrap of carpet.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!