cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arctic Fox 27T solar ready, what does this mean exactly?

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am told and have seen the stickers that the 2013 Arctic Fox 27T is solar ready. Salesmen tend to spin a story, often not making sense. I don't find anything in the manual or by searching this site on what is really meant.

I found some loose wires in the rear overhead cabinet (behind where the sticker says solar ready). Where are the other ends? Why would they put wires to the rear cabinet? The batteries are upfront, the converter under the kitchen counter. Do they expect a solar control unit to be placed there and then run (long run) down and to the front?

Has anyone installed solar panels on 27T and can answer these questions?

Thanks in advance for information solving this mystery (no, I have not contacted Northwood, it seems answers can vary)...
23 REPLIES 23

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks folks, I will contact Northwood when I get a chance.

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
mine was "solar ready" as well however it came with a zamp solar controller and a measly 20w panel mounted on top of the ac unit. The setup is useless - I'm hoping I can use the existing wires and just replace the controller and panels to have a better system in place.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
afraid of bears wrote:
On our Nash, also made by Northwood, solar ready meant that there were wires that ran from the roof to a panel above the stereo. From there, another set ran to the batteries. All we had to do was put in a charge controller and slap on a solar panel.

This is how my buddies new AF that's "Solar ready" is set up.

afraid_of_bears
Explorer
Explorer
On our Nash, also made by Northwood, solar ready meant that there were wires that ran from the roof to a panel above the stereo. From there, another set ran to the batteries. All we had to do was put in a charge controller and slap on a solar panel.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder if they mean 'solar ready' in the sense the trailer is pre-wired for a small panel that would be sufficient to maintain the house battery?

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
The wires probably terminate on the roof.
oughtsix wrote:
I have also read that even a partial shadow on a single panel can greatly reduce the output of a bank of panels.
Wow, I didn't know that.

This is one of the best solar primers I have found: http://rvroadtrip.us/library/solar_install.php#panels
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed pickup.
2007 Coachman Captiva 265EX trailer.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
The wires you found are to connect to meter, there should be other wires, maybe at the refer vent what would connect to the panel. Theses should (?) be connected to the battery via the meter.

Personally I would call/e-mail customer service at Northwoods, they should be able to give you exact locations.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The wires probably terminate on the roof.
oughtsix wrote:
I have also read that even a partial shadow on a single panel can greatly reduce the output of a bank of panels.
Wow, I didn't know that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
I would not be surprised if many manufactures defined "solar ready" as... "has a roof". 😄

Seriously, those wires are probably what they define as solar ready. They probably terminate next to the converter. Everything I have read says that the solar controller should be put as close as possible to the solar panels. So you put the solar controller in the cabinet then breach the roof to run wires to the solar panels. I have also read that even a partial shadow on a single panel can greatly reduce the output of a bank of panels.
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed pickup.
2007 Coachman Captiva 265EX trailer.