cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arctic fox 6/7pin cord

broncobran68
Explorer
Explorer
This 3' cord was included with my arctic fox. It is about 5' too short. Anyone know where I can buy a longer one. My truck already has the factory receptacle in the bed and I have no interest in relocating it. If I can't find a longer cord I might just solder in the extra 5' or buy an extension cord from torklift.

11 REPLIES 11

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Jumper cables is what I meant to say. I was thinking solar panels for some reason which makes no sense in context.

Not the first time I brain farted and won't be the last--should be my signature.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

Dirtpig
Explorer
Explorer
another note about using the jacks with low batteries. If you operate only 2 jacks (or 1 jack) at a time they will perform satisfactory on half dead camper batteries. Jumper cable idea mentioned by bedlam above is also great.
2015 Nash 25C bumper pull /w 300watts solar my install
My Truck & RV youtube channel
2005 F-350 Diesel 4x4 CC SB SRW
2001 Honda XR400: many mods
12ft Lund WC boat & 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke on custom loader.

Bedlam
Quality jumper cables from camper to truck battery will supply plenty of power to run the jacks even if your batteries are flat - That shouldn't scare you.

When my refrigerator runs on DC, I find that the trailer charging circuit is inadequate, but with the truck running the dual batteries will still hold up for half a day without going into the yellow.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
broncobran68 wrote:
Even though I shouldn't ever need to charge the camper via the truck, I'm going to shoot for the largest wires available.

The reason for not adding another bed receptacle is that it's a new truck and I'm lazy.

You're probably aware that no matter how large a wire you use from the 7 pin at the bumper up to the camper, the stock, 12V constant wire within truck harness going to the 7 pin outlet is at best, 16AWG. Far too small to provide any meaningful charge except over a period of 4,5 or more hours of driving depending on the battery's state of charge.

You're probably also aware that the camper jacks need to have a FULL battery(s) in order to lift and lower. Should you find yourself out in the boonies (or even just the side of the hwy), or in a situation where the camper needs to come off of the truck with deeply discharged batteries and no ability to quickly charge, you'll be hating life.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

broncobran68
Explorer
Explorer
I'm headed to the local trailer store today to see what's available. Even though I shouldn't ever need to charge the camper via the truck, I'm going to shoot for the largest wires available. I've decided against a simple plug and play extension cord... Soldering isn't that hard, so no reason to have the extra plug and socket to get hung up on the truck bed side while unloading the camper.

The reason for not adding another bed receptacle is that it's a new truck and I'm lazy.

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same thing happen to me when I bought my Ram 3500. It's much quicker, easier and cheaper to simply splice the length of wires you need. I soldered all my connections then used shrink tubing to insulate the connections.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I assume cord shown is a patch cord-plugging into both camper and truck. If the ends were removable? just replace wire. Contacted AF? possibly longer cords available?

Myself Id be hard wiring a longer umbilical. Though I can see advantages in patch cord I have enough issues keeping contact in one connection, cant imagine 3.
As to moving receptacle-why not just add one?
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

ericboutin
Explorer
Explorer
I made my own cord after seeing how much they wanted for one! It really is quite easy and a soldering iron can be had for just a few bucks! Good luck!
The Dewey - 1991 F350 Crew Cab Dually
7.3 IDI, 4.10 Gears
ATS Turbo
Power Rear Slider
Autometer Pillar Gauge Pod and Gauges
Boiling Springs, SC
1st Rig - 1968 Venture Popup
2nd Rig - 1997 Terry 29s Bunkhouse
Present Rig - 1970ish Coachman Truck Camper

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I feel your pain, My cable was only about 10" too short. I ran it win an extension the first time but things like that bug me so I ended up relocating the in-bed plug. I patched the old hole using the newly drilled hole, the patch isn't perfect but not terrible.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
You wont find a longer cord with the AF rectangular plug. There are similar rectangular plugs like AF uses but the wiring will not be as heavy. You will probably be better off just buying another longer 7 round RV cord with a male and female end and use the 2 cords together.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you checked with ETRAILER... They have a great selection of cables and adapters...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS