cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Arctic Fox 990 delamination

insp1505
Explorer
Explorer
I tried a search for Arctic Fox delamination but came up with 0 results. I know that's not right because I've read several threads about it over the years. I must be doing something wrong with the search feature on here so I'll just ask because I don't remember the answer.

Has anyone taken their Arctic Fox back to the factory to have the delamination on the front repaired and if so how much did it cost?

The reason I ask is that I found a 990 for sale locally by a private individual, it is a 2003 so not the aluminum frame but for the right price I would be ok with it. I went to look at it today and the interior was immaculate, looked like it was barely used. The roof was in good condition, no holes or other problems I could see. Everything worked, fridge, stove, AC, plumbing, water heater, slide etc.

The only two problems I could find were severe delamination (absolutely the worst I have ever seen) of the entire front cap from the roof line on the top all the way down under the cab-over, continuing down the front face behind the truck cab to the bottom of the camper. There were a couple cracks in the front filon but I am positive the major contributor was the marker lights as it looks like they have never been resealed. The driver side wall also showed areas of delamination just not as severe.

When I pointed it out to the owner and told him what was going on he was shocked because he and his brother in law bought it that way several months ago. Long story short they don't like how it drives and handles on their 3/4 ton truck so they want to sell it and go back to a TT that they can share. They were told the "skin" was loose like that to allow it to flex when driving over rough terrain. It flexes all right, the only thing holding it on is the sealing seam along the sides, ends and the pass through window on the front wall.

I told him I could not even come close to offering him his asking price but that I would check on cost of repairs and get back with an offer tomorrow. My thought is I will buy it if he accepts my generous low-ball offer and use it until it rots away to the point it's no longer safe then I will scavenge all the parts, appliances, and accessories I would need in the building of my own camper. I have started pricing all the components needed to build one from scratch and having a donor camper bought on the cheap would most likely save me a lot of money. It's amazing how fast parts add up like tanks, doors, cabinets, windows, jacks, appliances etc.

One other 990 question while I'm here and clueless on why I can't get the search feature to return anything, how long of a hitch extension do you AF 990 owners need for towing?

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Call me pessimistic, but I would not be surprised if the sellers would act "shocked" with any potential buyer who knew what he was seeing there.

Was there a similar issue with AF trailers, or is this limited to the TCs? I ask because all I've ever read in the past about AF TTs was that they were top quality, but a huge oversight like these marker lights seems to belie that reputation.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
kerry4951 wrote:
... Anyone with a pre-2011 AF TC should make that upgrade immediately if not sooner, if you haven't already. Its the main

Another member here uses these lights - they are a direct fit replacement for the old lights:

LED marker light

The owners of the above site also have an AF camper, and that's the lights they used on their AF811

with a 990, you might be able to use an extension shorter than 30".

But, from the sounds of other people, get a different 990.
Bob

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
insp1505 wrote:
Has anyone taken their Arctic Fox back to the factory to have the delamination on the front repaired and if so how much did it cost?

The reason I ask is that I found a 990 for sale locally by a private individual, it is a 2003 so not the aluminum frame but for the right price I would be ok with it.

I had an insurable quote done on my old '04. RUN, don't walk away. The quote came back over $10k.

It's not just "simple delam", it's severe water damage. Water gets into the glue behind the Filon, the glue separates, Filon bubbles. That much delam means it's likely the entire front cap would be water damaged/rotted and have to be repaired/replaced.

On mine, water got into the front and then made it's way to the jack corners. One jack then began separating from the camper.

In the end, I got a new camper, and insurance paid half.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
Its as shame it took AF so long to make the change away from the "old style" marker lights. My 2010 still had them. In 2011 they went to sealed LED markers and I would bet their water intrusion problems greatly reduced. Anyone with a pre-2011 AF TC should make that upgrade immediately if not sooner, if you haven't already. Its the main culprit area for front end water damage.
From what I have read about other AF owners going back to the factory, most have been very pleased with the job done and the cost to do it.
I use a 41" hitch extension so you could probably get by with a 30".
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

U_F_O_
Explorer
Explorer
I owned two wood framed filon campers in the past. You are looking at best side, wait until you get under the filon the fun starts you be amazed the water damage. Only worth salvage in my books.
1997 F-350SC 7.3 dually Eagle Cap 950 Honda EU2000

joerg68
Nomad III
Nomad III
I get 25 results searching for "arctic fox delam" with the following settings

-> advanced search
- keywords: "arctic fox delam" (without the quotes)
- keyword match: Find posts with all of the words in any order
- search in entire message
- Advanced Options: Archive - over 1 year ago
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look under Filon subjects. If you pull off the markers and seen the way AF picked the style of their marker lights, where they install them and installs them with over one inch holes drilled behind them is well.... a set up for a definite water intrusion fail and it will happen eventually. If your not getting this for a salvage price... don't walk, run away. If it was an aluminum frame...you might have a rebuild but with wood you will be shocked at the rot out. Replacing the Filon alone after you tear off the original is expensive....and then you have to find a supplier. The aluminum trim seals, sealer materials, under lament, gluing the new Filon, new screws etc. etc. is a huge job.