cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are the HP wars over?

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
So I haven't been keeping up on the HP wars for years.

So I had a little time today and was checking out the 2022 HP wars of the big 3 and was shocked at what I saw. Ford not only was on top but dominated the other 2 by a county mile. I wasn't shocked that Ford was on top but by how far they were ahead.

Ford PS diesel= 475HP (holy ****)
Gm Duramax diesel= 445HP
Ram Cummins diesel=400HP

Now a 30HP lead is BIG but a 75HP lead is annihilating the competition!

So after seeing that, is the HP wars over and Ford won hands down? Is that it? Did Ford just win the gold metal and now it's over? Just like that?

Orrrrrr are people satisfied with their puny 400HP and 445HP and Ford can be the top gorilla?

I have friends that own all 3 brands and NONE are saying, "man I wish I had more HP." They use to!! They really did! I still have a 6.5 200HP diesel and wished I had more HP when I towed with that. With my 360HP Duramax I don't say that even with my 11K upgraded trailer. I just don't. And I tow in big mountains!

Maybe I'm getting old and don't GAS about HP anymore? Maybe 360HP is more than enough to do what I need to do and tow where I need to tow as fast as I want? Is that what the average Ram person says nowdays?

Have we maxed out and have come to a point where the average person just does not need anymore HP? I think we have!

What do you think?
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln
125 REPLIES 125

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"I got to say I sure do love that filter location."

Happy for you having something to LOVE.

And the tow mirrors... and the cough...cough... reliable transmission... cough... cough... :B
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I still recommend popping the hood on all three if you plan on owning past warranty.

And looking underneath as well, especially if you "enjoy" doing your own maintenance.

At 9 years old and 230k miles my truck has been past warranty a long time ago. Replaced alternator, AC compressor, condenser coil, EGT sensors, Nox sensor, and passenger front hub bearing.

To date the engine, transmission and front/rear differentials haven't been touched.

did you save your recipts for the nox sensors, there is now a recall for thoes.

I'm sure I kept the receipt. I want to say the nox sensor got replaced around 120k miles so that was ~4 years ago and I never got a recall letter in the mail.

I got to say I sure do love that filter location. :B

How is the CP4 location? :B

Happy New Year! :B :C

At least it isn't located at the back of the engine like the 6.4 HPFP. :B

Happy New Year! :B

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I still recommend popping the hood on all three if you plan on owning past warranty.

And looking underneath as well, especially if you "enjoy" doing your own maintenance.

At 9 years old and 230k miles my truck has been past warranty a long time ago. Replaced alternator, AC compressor, condenser coil, EGT sensors, Nox sensor, and passenger front hub bearing.

To date the engine, transmission and front/rear differentials haven't been touched.

I'm sure I kept the receipt. I want to say the nox sensor got replaced around 120k miles so that was ~4 years ago and I never got a recall letter in the mail.

How is the CP4 location? :B

Happy New Year! :B :C
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I got to say I sure do love that filter location."

Happy for you having something to LOVE.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
StirCrazy wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
My โ€˜22 finally got slotted a build date. I guess Iโ€™ll be replacing both water pumps all four tires and getting an oil change here in a couple months!

That's AWESOME!!! Love your maintenance schedule.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
My โ€˜22 finally got slotted a build date. I guess Iโ€™ll be replacing both water pumps all four tires and getting an oil change here in a couple months!
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I simply remove my intake to remove my oil filter. Loosen two band clamps, remove one bolt and one squeeze clamp.

Letโ€™s talk water pump replacement. Mine 15 minuets, you???

The Ford primary water pump will take more time to replace than the cummins for sure, but mine is still original. The Ford water pump is definitely more reliable than the cummins.

I enjoy changing the oil/filters and fuel filters. I may have to replace the water pump once during my ownership of this truck. Never had any safety recalls on my water pump or got stranded by my water pump.

RAM did have one supplier that had defective pumps. They were all replaced under a recall.

The pump on my 98 12V was still going stroinf at way over 400k when my Son decided he wanted to mod it.

Mine $hit the bed at 30k miles towing our trailer home from vacation and put me on the side of the freeway with my wife and three daughters for several hours on a 100 degree day waiting for a tow into town. Everybody's $hit stinks sometimes.

The oil filter thing Fish brings up is stupid. Mildly aggravating until I bought an aluminum plug to easily pull it through the fender. With that tool it's no hassle at all even if you want to pre-fill the new filter. I think it was $10.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I simply remove my intake to remove my oil filter. Loosen two band clamps, remove one bolt and one squeeze clamp.

Letโ€™s talk water pump replacement. Mine 15 minuets, you???

The Ford primary water pump will take more time to replace than the cummins for sure, but mine is still original. The Ford water pump is definitely more reliable than the cummins.

I enjoy changing the oil/filters and fuel filters. I may have to replace the water pump once during my ownership of this truck. Never had any safety recalls on my water pump or got stranded by my water pump.

RAM did have one supplier that had defective pumps. They were all replaced under a recall.

The pump on my 98 12V was still going stroinf at way over 400k when my Son decided he wanted to mod it.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
vahalla360 said: "But how many people aim the rig uphill and just push the pedal to the floor and push the truck to the limits?"

I do or my cruise control does on every long 6% grade it meets towing 35k combined. Does nothing to harm it. Engine and trans stay nice and cool.

It all depends on what you are towing and what you are towing with.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think if I was going to have my truck custom tuned Iโ€™d leave the power at 475 and bump the torque up to about 1200 lbft โ€ฆ. That would give it a similar torque rise as what the current Cummins has.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
4x4ord wrote:
I agree with you that all three make enough power to satisfy most RVers. However on the Ike run the fact that the Ford was nearly a mile ahead of the other two after 8 miles is very impressive.

But how many people aim the rig uphill and just push the pedal to the floor and push the truck to the limits?

Most people aren't that worried about losing a minute or two on a long steep grade and will pick up the time later if they feel the need.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
I had read several reports; someone started a thread about it in this forum awhile back. Here is a report from TFL:

Click
That is pretty sketchy as a source.IMO More like a high schooler starting a rumor on purpose.

I wouldn't be surprised if GM pulls this off. They finally decided to compete again in the diesel market and the Duramax 5LP probably has more untapped potential, but they better not loose fuel economy while doing it.

Banks has done a lot of work with the L5P working in coordination with GM. There is a lot more that can be pulled out of the engine. I agree they cant lose any MPG doing it.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Huntindog wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
I had read several reports; someone started a thread about it in this forum awhile back. Here is a report from TFL:

Click
That is pretty sketchy as a source.IMO More like a high schooler starting a rumor on purpose.

I wouldn't be surprised if GM pulls this off. They finally decided to compete again in the diesel market and the Duramax 5LP probably has more untapped potential, but they better not loose fuel economy while doing it.