cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Arggghhh - I just want to CAMP!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was all excited about FINALLY taking my TC (older Bronco 1200 popup) out for a one-night Dark Sky photography even at a local State Park - but the Camping Gods have not been in my favor. The truck I WANTED - a 2011 F-150 longbox, has a bedliner that apparently won't allow my Brophy tiedowns to bolt on ๐Ÿ˜ž

So I wandered over to my choice #2 (we're a used car lot) - a 2008 F-250 diesel shortbox. That too has a bedliner - but that one is recessed along the sides, so the tiedown will clamp, and I can get to the tightening nuts on the backside to make it secure. Then I looked up at the massive backside of the cab, and got out my tape measure. Ugh - my camper has 45-3/4" of rise to the bottom of the cabover; the truck measures 45" to the top of the roof.

At this point, since it's for one night only - I will probably opt to sleep in my Grand Caravan ๐Ÿ˜ž unless I can get hubby to drive with me to the local lumber yard 30 miles away.....

What is the optimum distance between the cabover, and the roof of the truck?? I tried searching - found a couple of folks mentioning they had 3 to 4" of space... but is that MINIMUM? If I put some 2x4's flat; and then lay a rubber mat over the top; that would give me about 2-1/2" of clearance.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!
10 REPLIES 10

Bedlam
Deb and Ed M wrote:
So I wandered over to my choice #2 (we're a used car lot) - a 2008 F-250 diesel shortbox. That too has a bedliner - but that one is recessed along the sides, so the tiedown will clamp, and I can get to the tightening nuts on the backside to make it secure. Then I looked up at the massive backside of the cab, and got out my tape measure. Ugh - my camper has 45-3/4" of rise to the bottom of the cabover; the truck measures 45" to the top of the roof.

My Arctic Fox has 48" between the bottom of the camper and the underside of the cab over.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
LOL!! And THIS is how it always goes: the truck that I had hoped to load my camper on for tonight's trip?? Just sold it 10 minutes ago.... sigh. Yes, it's nice having a free truck and not having to pay insurance, either - but there ARE still drawbacks.

Yours is an interesting situation. Hadn't ever thought about how insurance works for vehicle dealers. I guess you have some sort of umbrella policy that covers whatever vehicles are on the lot? So I guess you actually do pay insurance and would just be getting more use out of it :B There's a used car/equipment dealer near us that has the opposite issue in that he doesn't sell RV's but someone sold him a truck but required he take the TC on it too. So he's used it a few times to take his son camping while he tries to sell it. BTW, I think you're response regarding the tie-downs is spot on. Here's a thought for you though. My DB often stores his TC on a small utility trailer. Perhaps you could get one of those and tow it with TC on board whenever you don't have a truck the TC will go on?
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

Bedlam
Deb and Ed M wrote:
I understand what you are saying - if I actually OWNED a truck, I'd have myself a set of Torklift equipment in a heartbeat. But I need something that is not make/model/year specific and won't require holes to be drilled in the truck bed. My camper weighs less than 1200 lbs, with minimal frontal area (popup). I won't be going offroad. The Brophy's will simply HAVE to do.

Torklift products bolt up to existing holes in your truck (no drilling), but because of that they are vehicle specific. Depending on the make, you may be able to use the same devices on newer models if the frame has not changed substantially.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
LOL!! And THIS is how it always goes: the truck that I had hoped to load my camper on for tonight's trip?? Just sold it 10 minutes ago.... sigh. Yes, it's nice having a free truck and not having to pay insurance, either - but there ARE still drawbacks.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chuck and Di wrote:

I don't think I'd be comfortable with the tiedowns you are discussing, however. Stake holes are nowhere as strong as they used to be, and frankly were never really up to this application.

I understand what you are saying - if I actually OWNED a truck, I'd have myself a set of Torklift equipment in a heartbeat. But I need something that is not make/model/year specific and won't require holes to be drilled in the truck bed. My camper weighs less than 1200 lbs, with minimal frontal area (popup). I won't be going offroad. The Brophy's will simply HAVE to do.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

Chuck_and_Di
Explorer
Explorer
The bed liner in my Dodge comes out with 4 screws. Taking the liner out and putting it back in adds about 3 minutes to the loading and unloading process.
I don't think I'd be comfortable with the tiedowns you are discussing, however. Stake holes are nowhere as strong as they used to be, and frankly were never really up to this application.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Awesome - thanks, everyone! Sounds like a sheet of pink Styro is in my future.

Victory402 - (smack forehead) didn't even think about the wings. Will measure those, too.

Tonymull - both are plastic bedliners. If it was spray-on, I think I wouldn't have any problem mounting the clamp-on Brophy tiedowns. I know the obvious answer is "remove the bedliner" and if I actually owned the truck I liked, I'd do that. But they are "inventory" (free) and sell better with liners. It wasn't worth messing with for one might of camping.

Hubby is on the lookout for my personal "demo truck" - THEN I can modify as needed ๐Ÿ™‚
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
Are those both spray on bed liners?? I have 4-5 inches of clearance, but the on-star/sirius antenna sticks up over the driver side and I sure don't want that to get whacked.

Wanderin_fool
Explorer
Explorer
I have a couple of inches if that and offroad with no problems.
Duramax/Lance 835
KTM/Arctic Cats
Motorized advocate in Colo. CMTRA, our local club.
www.cmtrail.org come visit!
Other Forums:
Thedieselplace.com ( chevsforever)
KTMtalk.com (xrcrasher)
Pontoonboating.com (Lounge Lizard)
Arcticchat.com (400crasher)

Victory402
Explorer
Explorer
2 1/2" clearance should be fine. If it were me I would by a 2" sheet of pink foam board, throw it in the back and be done with it. My last set up I only had 3/4" inch clearance.
Also better measure the bed rail height to be sure they clear as well.
Hope that helps.