cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Attaching porta boat to camper

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for ideas for attaching it to camper. Also what size outboards are you using? Which model 10 or 12ft model? Do you use it a lot or is it a pain to unload and assemble? Any input appreciated?
13 REPLIES 13

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
JD5150 wrote:
We use to have a 14 foot Porta-Bote with a Game Fisher 7.9 hp. We had a travel trailer at the time so we carried it on the pickup ladder rack. I do have to say we never owned the 8, 10 or 12 foot Porta-Bote but the 14 foot was a very good boat and handle rough water very well. We were quite surprised on how well it handled in rough water. 14 footer is suppose to handle better in rough water than the smaller ones. Boat never leaked a drop of water and highly recommend it. We moved on to a bigger boat but if we ever needed a portable boat again the 14 footer would be on our list.

Wife and I got into a situation while on the lake with the wind coming up unexpected. When waves crashed against the boat the boat flexed and absorbed the shock of the wave. It was quite interesting but made us believers on how well it handled. I guess we are still alive to talk about it:B

We'll second that.
I run everything from a 17' Classic Whaler to a 42' Post to the off-shore canyons...I have been in a LOT of boats.
We have been very impressed with our little porta-bote.
Takes a little getting used to the flex...once you "get it" you will see they are very stable/versatile craft.
We run our's on the big lakes up North as well as around the bay here at home. We have taken it to islands 3 mi off shore to go clamming.
It is a very cool little boat...

B
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

JD5150
Explorer
Explorer
We use to have a 14 foot Porta-Bote with a Game Fisher 7.9 hp. We had a travel trailer at the time so we carried it on the pickup ladder rack. I do have to say we never owned the 8, 10 or 12 foot Porta-Bote but the 14 foot was a very good boat and handle rough water very well. We were quite surprised on how well it handled in rough water. 14 footer is suppose to handle better in rough water than the smaller ones. Boat never leaked a drop of water and highly recommend it. We moved on to a bigger boat but if we ever needed a portable boat again the 14 footer would be on our list.

Wife and I got into a situation while on the lake with the wind coming up unexpected. When waves crashed against the boat the boat flexed and absorbed the shock of the wave. It was quite interesting but made us believers on how well it handled. I guess we are still alive to talk about it:B

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
Vic R

That is a standard 60" Yakima rack. I simply kept adjusting and moving it forward as far as possible. There is also a boat loader bar on the driver side for loading/unloading.

I raised the camper about 2 inches in the bed to provide space for the tail of the (12 ft.) bote hull. Note the wood block on the T bar is to raise the front hull slightly so it will align between the camper and the truck roof.

I also had to make some anti-rattle components for the T bar/hitch connections.

If you do this, do not be surprised if your mpg increases when carrying the bote due to better aerodynamics.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

Vic_R
Explorer
Explorer
RickW - I'm contemplating the exact same set up you have. I already have the front hitch and I just picked up one of the T-Bar units at a yard sale. The part that has me stumped though is the rack on the cab. Is that yackima/ thule and if so, how far back are you from the windshield and how did you mount on the cab? At least on my Dodge, I have a pretty good curve a ways back from the windshield. I figure I'd do a permanent rack on the cab and put an air deflector on it when I don't have the boat.

thanks,

-Vic
Hallmark Everest pop-up truck camper on a 2014 Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel, 4wd, Aisin Auto, crew cab, short bed

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might add that more and more reservoirs that are used to provide drinking water for communities are banning the use of 2-stroke outboards.

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
I attached our 10'8" Porta-bote as previously mentioned by using 2x2 inch 1/8" stainless steel angle and making two sections an inch longer than the jack mounting brackets. I removed the two side jacks and used the brackets as templates for drilling the holes. I was able to use the original mounting bolts again. Next made longer sections of angle steel to bolt to these short sections and fastened them using stainless steel security bolts and nylon insert nuts.

I made a 5/16" stainless steel wire rope bridle for the boat and ran it through the two holes at the bow and crimped on a copper sleeve. I lock the boat to the camper using both the bridle and the rear lock on the rear mounted bracket. The rear bracket alone provides very little security as a thief would only need to slide the boat forward a foot, pull out the rear of the boat and slide the boat back again to walk away with it.

There are some drawbacks to using the Porta-bote with a camper. Everything needs to come out or off the boat (motor, rod holders, oars, anchor, fishing rods, wheels, and other gear both at the start of the day's use and after a day's use. The assembly and collapsing of the boat is minor compared to the loading and unloading. This is doubly a problem with the limited space inside a truck cab and tiny amount of storage space with a slide-in camper.

We have also decided to stop dealing with the 6HP outboard and gas can and instead take the much lighter trolling motor and a small battery. The 6HP provides plenty of power but needs to be carried along inside the cab of the truck. Going to a 8-10 HP means going from 57-60 lbs. to a 90lb. motor and a 15HP takes it up another 20-30 lbs. in weight.

The Porta-boat is not a great vessel when there are water skiers around throwing up large wakes. We avoid lakes that allow water skiers and personal watercraft. Fortunately there are lakes in the Western US where they have either a 5 MPH speed limit or require the use of an electric motor.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have a 14' bote that I carry beneath my RV (Sorry I know that does not apply to a TC)
I use a 8 hp Nissan 2 stroke to power the bote.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Rick, i had to go completely across the country to finally find it .

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
bobndot wrote:
A set of roof racks or as one of our members did......

HEY!

That looks exactly like mine! :h
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Skipp, Bob, and Bill, hope to add a porta boat to the camper. Like the idea of having it everywhere we go.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
A set of roof racks or as one of our members did......

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
Our 12' is fitted to the bottom 2 jack bolts on the drivers side. We use the SS rack from Porta-Bote using two angle Ls bolted together and drilled to match the bolts holding the jacks. I carry the 5hp Suzuki and PFD etc. in a Thule roof pod with the seats strapped to the roof rack beside pod. The system has worked well. See the You Tube address below to see the mounting. PM me if you want more info. I may be a little slow getting back we're in a bad spot for Broad band.

Thanks for the intro billtex!

Love to all,

skip
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 14' that we use with an 8hp 2 st motor. It is a lot of fun and a well designed craft.
Because of the length, we have to put it on the roof.

Skip has a smaller one that he carries on the side of his TC...I am sure he'll chime in soon.

Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson