cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood Water heater questions

independent_TJ
Explorer
Explorer
I have done a LOT of searching and can't find this specific answer.

Why is my g6a-7 (iirc) hot water heater not filling...(?)
--when connected to twist-on city water connection...
--water is making it TO the HOT FAUCETS...
--when I disconnect the city water connector/adaptor, I can press the pressure/stop valve with my finger and water SHOOTS OUT of the TT water system at high pressure..(stops city water pressure when the TT water lines reach a "specific pressure")..
--tapping the tank sounds empty..
--rocking the tank (not screwed/caulked yet) feels empty (light)..
--occasional sound of a little water splatter into the tank when I first turn on hot water faucets and "release the stop-pressure" of the city-connection pressure-stop valve.....but not filling..

I have also tried to let the hot faucets stay open for over an hour to "release the air from the hot water tank so it will fill".....but I never see any air released from the faucets. It is just straight water from the city connection....and it seems to bypass going into (filling) the hot water tank before going to the hot water faucets????

My hot water heater is 2.5 feet from the city water connection and the 1/2inch water line Tee's off: 1 line to the cold,....1 line to the inlet (bottom) connection on the hot water heater. The outlet (top) line goes into the wall toward the shower, bathroom, kitchen faucets. I do not see ANY shut off valves anywhere in the back bedroom that houses the "city water connection port" and the hot water heater.

This TT is new to me, but I do THINK the water heater was filling during the ONE time I tried to fill it in the past. However, the connection to the hot water heater inlet was leaking, and I also had to replace the rotted floor... So, after replacing the floor and replacing the twist-connect on the inlet, I put the water heater back in....and it isn't filling..

So, assuming both situations of before and after I completely drained the water heater and reinstalled it........what would make city water bypass the hot water heater and still make it to the faucets??
15 REPLIES 15

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
independent_TJ wrote:
Budwich, I was referring to the pressure valve of some sort that is built into the city-water twist-on connection. It has a spring, I think, that keeps water in the TT's lines from draining OUT of the city-water connection when city-water hose is not connected. When I press this, it shoots water OUT....so I know city-water is building some pressure in the TT lines when the faucets are closed, but not filling the tank.

Coincidentally, I have also tried the outside pressure releif valve that you refer to, and again water does shoot out of the outer relief faucet....

But the tank feels and sounds empty... I never hear it filling (when i gently lift/rock the tank or tap on it) except for an occasional splash.

Maybe I am crazy, but it feels/sounds empty....??

Let's take this by steps:

1) Highlighted quote.......
Water shoots out of relief valve of water heater (in outside compartment) then water heater is FULL
No other way for water to come out of relief valve unless WH Tank is filled.

2) City water connection
That spring loaded thingy
That is a check valve that is part of the city water inlet assembly.
It stops water from leaking out of city water connection when using on-board pump.
City water and on-board pump discharge feed same cold water line

You have been lucky-------do NOT push in on that plunger tip at city water connection when water pump is running. It will dislocate the o-ring and then city water connection will LEAK

3) With water flowing out of relief valve you can fire up water heater and check it's operation
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

budwich
Explorer
Explorer
you might try posting a picture of your "situation" as some might spot the "thousand words" instead the one or two liners... ๐Ÿ™‚

further since you indicate that you are "floorless" you might try disconnecting the outlet and have a helper connect the city line and turn on the water and see what happens.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
Either open the drain plug to verify the water inside to satisfy your curiosity or turn on the water heater and wait an hour (warning if the tank is empty you will damage it by heating it empty. Then open a hot faucet and see if the water temp has gone up.

This would have my first troubleshooting step. If the water is hot and the pressure relief valve squirts out hot water, you are good to go.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
independent_TJ wrote:
Budwich, I was referring to the pressure valve of some sort that is built into the city-water twist-on connection. It has a spring, I think, that keeps water in the TT's lines from draining OUT of the city-water connection when city-water hose is not connected. When I press this, it shoots water OUT....so I know city-water is building some pressure in the TT lines when the faucets are closed, but not filling the tank.

Coincidentally, I have also tried the outside pressure releif valve that you refer to, and again water does shoot out of the outer relief faucet....

But the tank feels and sounds empty... I never hear it filling (when i gently lift/rock the tank or tap on it) except for an occasional splash.

The only way water can come out of the outside pressure relief valve is if the tank is full. If the tank is full you will not hear water entering it or sloshing around. Either open the drain plug to verify the water inside to satisfy your curiosity or turn on the water heater and wait an hour (warning if the tank is empty you will damage it by heating it empty. Then open a hot faucet and see if the water temp has gone up.
The only other thing I can think of is if somebody installed the check valve on the cold water in but then you would not have anything at your hot faucets.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

budwich
Explorer
Explorer
my guess is the "back preventer valve" in the tank outlet is seized closed thus not allowing any hot out. You can test the "theory" a bit by first putting water in the tank ... check this by opening the pressure release valve. IF water is flowing out then it means you have "some in there". Next, start the water heater and let it heat for a bit... not too long but long enough for you to eventually feel the water temperature with your hand... cause that's next check. Once you have let it heat for say 15 minutes, cautiously open the pressure relief valve again.... be careful and observant... is the water coming out warm? This will at least determine if your heater is functional in terms of heating. Do not run the unit if there is no water in it as this may burn out the element. Once you get this far, you can then focus on the tank outlet and go from there.

independent_TJ
Explorer
Explorer
I am fairly certain it filled some the other day because I turned off water quickly when I saw connection leaking , disconnected the heater-inlet (bottom) and about 1/2 - 1 gallon of water came out. (There is no floor or insulation until I finish the plumbing and appliances, so the water went straight to the ground..

independent_TJ
Explorer
Explorer
I got it used. It is a 1989 fleetwood prowler 28ft TT. The piping looked "all original factory-clamp-on grey tubing." (Nothing looks like aftermarket upgrades/repairs/changes.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Is this a new or an older trailer? Is it new or did you get it used? What make model years is it?

independent_TJ
Explorer
Explorer
Dutchmensport, I saw the 3valve system on a g6aa-10e that I bought the other day (used). I plan on installing it next, but I want to test out this g6a-7 first before it gets stored as a "propane-only backup."
--
This g6a-7 has no advanced piping/valves options/features. It is just as simple as I described just above. 1 city water in...1 tee to heater and to "cold" (I assume)...so the 2 pipes leaving the bedroom are "water heater outlet" and "unheated city water."

independent_TJ
Explorer
Explorer

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
There should be a water by-pass (or a set of water bypass) valves at the water heater. Here's an example of the 3 valve system:

Here's a 2 valve system with a built in check valve for the 3rd valve:

Here's a single valve system. There is a check valve on the water heater "out" that prevents the water from entering the wrong direction with in by-pass mode:

Switching between city water and your on-board pump will have no affect. This is down-stream.... at the water heater. By-pass will let water flow and by-pass the water heater. Look around the water heater, not the water inlet area. Keep looking, you'll find it.

budwich
Explorer
Explorer
I can't tell from your "textual description of activities tried", are you releasing the pressure in the hot water tank using the pressure release valve at the side of the tank (where / near the burner / flame area)? IF you open that valve with city water connected, water should shoot out. Further doing the same "test" by opening the tank drain plug should see water coming out. IF not, you have a by pass valve somewhere in side set wrong.

independent_TJ
Explorer
Explorer
Dutchmensport, it is a clear view of the 2.5 ft pipe from the city connection to the hot water heater. No shutoff valve in sight... I have been "assuming" the city water tee's...1 to water heater and 1 to stay "cold water". I dont see any other piping...

Just:
1 city water in-pipe..
2 pipes leave this back bedroom
---1 from water heater outlet.
---1 from the Tee on the city water in-pipe (that also provides water to the water heater inlet (bottom).

independent_TJ
Explorer
Explorer
When I cut off the leaking twist-on hotwater-inlet connect, I replaced it with a new connect that looks like this. I don't see any form of a shut-off valve built into it...right? But how does water get to the hot faucets if the hot water tank is not filled to the outlet pipe connection..?? So confused..
Connector