cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awning issue

PAAK
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, had a great weekend camping at the Russian River here in Alaska, then things went south on the pack out to leave. I did a walk around before pulling foward on a rainy sunday morning and then got in the truck and started to pull forward and wack,the awning was still out. It only hit a couple of pine tree branches and it isnt all that bad. The only problem is that it bent the arms about 3 inches to the rear, and that keeps it from folding up all the way. Is it possible to bend them back, or should I replace them? thank you for any advice.
2011 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel
2011 Creek Side 23RKS
9 REPLIES 9

shenandoahvalle
Explorer
Explorer
I have managed to bend two awning arms. First one was a manual awning that I attempted to put up with one of the brace pieces in place and it slightly bent the main support. I was able to bend the arm enough so that it worked but it always was in a slight bind. The other was on our current TT and it is an electric awning. I think it got hit by a campground worker on a lawnmower, I think he hit it with his rollover guard...couldn't prove it so the repair was on me. Not repairable and the new arm was about $700...yikes.

PAAK
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the advice. I will see if I can try and fix it, if not, I will then replace it.
2011 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel
2011 Creek Side 23RKS

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
DH had to replace the arm pieces on our HTT the first week we had it....left it opened up in our driveway - so proud of it - and a storm blew through and took one side of arm and hardware with it. He can fix or build most anything and this was not a bad job. Seems like the parts were around $75 - that was for a manual awning in '06. If you have the electric awning, that may be a whole different thing. Any damage to the roller? Do you think it's worth turning in to insurance?? You could end up with a whole new awning....or not.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
It won't hurt anything to try to bend them back. The only thing you might wreck already needs replacing. Go for it. They don't hold much weight, the water is supposed to run off.

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
Don't you just hate it when that happens. Like ford truck guy said.

Aluminum is not a very forgiving material, once it has been bent it can't be worked like steel. Many times the damage can't be seen until the piece breaks.

One suggestion for your walk around, don't just look at stuff, touch it. You'll find storage compartment latches that didn't catch properly and other assorted things that need attention. It's a good idea to do the same thing with your tires, you'll catch the tire that is starting the bulge on the sidewall long before it is a problem.

Greydennyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
I also had to replace one on a carefree , and it wasn't too expensive
Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
I had to replace one on a Dometic. They were actually very helpful and not overly priced. That was a pleasant surprise.

You will need the model number and size though.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

In my own opinion , you have compromised the strength of the arms and they should be replaced.. The arms hold their fare share of weight with wind and rain... Something else to think about is with the fairly thin wall aluminum extrusions , they usually will not bend back the best , resulting in hair line cracks...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
PAAK wrote:
Ok, had a great weekend camping at the Russian River here in Alaska, then things went south on the pack out to leave. I did a walk around before pulling foward on a rainy sunday morning and then got in the truck and started to pull forward and wack,the awning was still out. It only hit a couple of pine tree branches and it isnt all that bad. The only problem is that it bent the arms about 3 inches to the rear, and that keeps it from folding up all the way. Is it possible to bend them back, or should I replace them? thank you for any advice.

Doubt you can bent it good enough to get it to work properly.
I would rethink your walk around method;)
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980