cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AWNING PROBLEM

elkrott
Explorer
Explorer
The awning bag and awning ripped off the part that slides in the awning rail. Anyone ever have this happen and how was it reattached?
8 REPLIES 8

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
I have to agree with lfloom. When I had to do mine, I used heavy duty upholstery thread and the speedy awl. I'd rather lengthen the time between repairs by using the longest lasting components.

And I too have had fishing line supported picture frames come down after a while. I had to buy a new custom frame and glass. Grrr.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly? I think the heavy duty thread that comes with the speedy awl is what you want, not the fishline.

My father worked with leather for a living. When my awning stitching broke, I knew what he would have done - used some heavy duty upholstery thread, some wax (came in a thin block about the size of a matchbook) and two needles (one on each side of the thread) If there had not already been holes, he would have used an awl to make the holes, and then taken the double needle thread and gone put each needle through the hole - one going up, the other going down. The speedy awl does all that for you.

The reason I would not use fish line? It will break/rot more easily then the thread. There is a reason thread is used in the first place. I used heavy duty fish line to hang pics on my walls (because I have picture railing, and I liked how it was not very obvious) and I learned the hard way that you need to replace the line about every 5 years - or it will come crashing down in the middle of the night and scare the hell out of you.

davpratt
Explorer
Explorer
The same thing happened to us a few years ago. I took it to a local Sail making shop ( sailboat sail making). being near the Gulf we have some of those around here.Not sure about your area, but there ought to be some sailing on Lake Erie, if you are anywhere near that
lake. IIRC ours charged something like $100 to re-stitch the bag onto the rubber/plastic strip. Hope this helps. -Dave
Dave
'16 Jayco 27DSRL "Motel 4 (wheels)"
'14 Tundra 1794 Crewmax "Silver Dragon"
Member: ACW

Ryanincc
Explorer
Explorer
I hear Bear Creek Canvas will fix that for $65 without shipping. Great company.
2011 Coleman Sun Valley, 1997 4Runner V6

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2008 model awning bag thread has finally started to rot out big time from UV rays i guess. My awning part is still ok. Right now I have the whole thing folded over on top of the roof and held in place by stretch ropes haha... Only making short trips right now to WESTMORELAND State Park just 30 miles down the road.

The awning is sewed into the zip-up bags which makes it harder to fix. Almost have to do it yourself or take it to a local BOAT shop. They fix fabric on the boats all the time... All of the fabric for my awning bag is fine - just the threads have rotted away...

I never could figure out exactly what I have here size wise anyway. Did check in with a couple online places to get it repaired but you have to send the whole thing to them for repairs... Only just a tad cheaper than just getting a new one I guess...

I do know of a couple of guys on here using the sewing kits like described above. Saw one guy at a camp ground working away on his awning sewing on the picnic table... Since it comes down from the roof edge so easy I really think that is what I should do... I like the idea above about using 100lb rated fishing line.. You may able to use rivets as well...

Since my awning zip-up bag is totally gone now I will probably take my whole awning down and carry in the back of the truck bed if I ever go on long trip... Just takes a few minutes to re-install again.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
I repaired mine using a quick stitch awl - this is what I got, but you can buy them all over the net. Once you figure it out, and it is not difficult, you can go fairly quickly.

quick stitch awl

Cape_Cod_Mounta
Explorer
Explorer
I just made that repair myself. Fortunately the "rip" was just an un-threading and I did not need new parts.
After checking with several boat upholstery repair places all were too busy to make the repair in a timely manner. I ended up stitching it back by hand with a heavy needle, pliers and 100 lb test fishing line.
I started out with dental floss but found it not substantial enough.
Tedious and time consuming, it took about 4 total hours - but it worked.
Destinations on purpose: Canada: Alberta, BC, Nove Scotia, PEI, New Brunswick. USA: ME,NH,MA,VT,NY,MT,WY,MN,MI,WI,GA,VA,FL,UT,CA,OR,ID,CO,NV,AZ
:BLife is Good
2009 Jayco 1206
2011 Toyota Tundra

cgjt
Explorer
Explorer
A canvas repair shop will be able to fix your awning. We have a local tent rental company that also repairs canvas, awnings etc. A search of canvas repair businesses in your area should give you some options. Hope this helps.