cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

awning trouble.

scottsnider
Explorer
Explorer
Ok went camping last weekend and could not get the awning to unfold. Unhooked the parts on the arms, put the little arm on unfold and nothing it would not move. Finally got the other side to unfold some but the side where the catch was would not move, it was as if it was attached. I have not gotten up on a ladder yet to see but any suggestions before I go there of what might it be? Last time out it worked fine in Dec. and I am in Sunny So CAL were its been in the 70's and 80's so cold is not a factor. Love to hear (read) your thoughts.
7 REPLIES 7

scottsnider
Explorer
Explorer
Friends thanks again for your info and help, I got up there and tried a lot of stuff but nothing, then I tried to manually move the roller and that seemed to do the trick and it started to unroll. Now I had to patch some holes with clear tape and found all the parts that are broken and send off for the parts and hopefully all will be good for the next trip. Had broken one of the handles that adjust the up and down the pin part was gone, one of the claws at the end of the arm that extends out from the trailer was broken and the black clips that hold it when its all closed up broke. Hopefully I will have them and repair all that before my next trip.

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
Campforlife probably has the answer, the awning lock is holding next to the trailer as it should.

scottsnider
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmanSport, sorry It is manual type, and thank you and all the others for their responses I plan to get on a latter today and investigate.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
My old one would do that. If I lifted up on the stuck arm a couple times it would release.

Moved from Forum Technical Support

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You did not say if it was electric or manual. If manual, my previous TT had an awning arm that sometimes stuck. I'd have to flip the catch and pull the awning strap to begin extracting an inch or so, just so the switched arm was free. Then I'd have to go to the other arm and pull on the arm, or jerk it to free up the arm.

After about the 3rd or 4th time this happened, I studied the situation out and realized the awning cover and arms were not true square. The end of the roller slid just a bit. Not enough to really be noticed, but enough to cause a binding on the arm when closed up. I would simply tug on the awning and the roller and slide it down a tiny bit and that would cure it for a while again, until it started sticking again. It took a whole 10 seconds to give the awning and roller a tug in the opposite direction every now and then, and then, I never had problems again, because I knew what to watch for.

Your's might be the same problem. The roller arm has slid just a little where the awning slides in the track, causing a slight bind on the arm when retracted.

skiles
Explorer
Explorer
My awning was stuck after I opened it. I sprayed some penetrating oil (PB Blaster) in the "switch" on the end and it has worked fine since. I hope this helps.
2009 Outback 268rl
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke