cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer length

hprince
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a new StarCraft Launch 26 RLS, the literature states that the total length is 30'11" bumper to hitch, is this trailer considered a 26 or 31' trailer.
25 REPLIES 25

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some manufacturers use box length, some use ball to bumper, some use ???. I think some must use a random number.

The number in the model name sometimes is box length, sometimes is just a number.

Does not seem to be any industry standard.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Exactly! Everything, everywhere is always something else.
If looking for a trailer you need to know the box, platform size and then the overall length.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
RinconVTR wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
If it can fit in a 26' garage, it is 26'. If it requires a 31' garage, it is 31'.

LOL. Silly wabbit. Tricks are for kids.

When you buy an enclosed or flat trailer...you think this applies?

Go shopping. Ask for XX length trailer. Then measure what they show you.

4x8, 6x14, 8x8...those are box/bed sizes. This is not debatable people...this is a matter of fact.

As I stated before...the overall length should be known and used for reserving campsites and when you are towing. (OR trying to fit the darn thing in your driveway...) Otherwise, its not a number anyone uses when discussing trailer size.

If you do use overall length to describe your trailer, great. (Obviously you have a size complex.) But if I buy a 26' trailer from you and its actually a 23' box and this somehow escapes me, we'll have words in court. I promise.

NADA doesn't agree with you. NADA calls my 19' box Weekend Warrior a 24' trailer.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
It will handle on the road like a 31'. It will turn while backing up like a 31'.

I have always considered total TT length to be the proper number for length. If you mounted a 16' Scamp on a 40' flatbed trailer, you have a 40' trailer. Not a 16'.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
If it can fit in a 26' garage, it is 26'. If it requires a 31' garage, it is 31'.

LOL. Silly wabbit. Tricks are for kids.

When you buy an enclosed or flat trailer...you think this applies?

Go shopping. Ask for XX length trailer. Then measure what they show you.

4x8, 6x14, 8x8...those are box/bed sizes. This is not debatable people...this is a matter of fact.

As I stated before...the overall length should be known and used for reserving campsites and when you are towing. (OR trying to fit the darn thing in your driveway...) Otherwise, its not a number anyone uses when discussing trailer size.

If you do use overall length to describe your trailer, great. (Obviously you have a size complex.) But if I buy a 26' trailer from you and its actually a 23' box and this somehow escapes me, we'll have words in court. I promise.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
RinconVTR wrote:
Oaklevel wrote:
The trailer is 31 foot period............

Show us an OEM or DEALER who uses the ball to bumper (overall trailer length) in their advertising, model number or ANYWHERE besides the specification chart.

I've bought and sold more trailers than I can count, and NEVER has anyone gone by the overall length. Ever.

Yes, but it is the number to go by. My trailer is 34'10" I went by this number when buying because my driveway is 35ft long. the model number is the box (living) area number. and even that is not indicative of the box length. I have a model 32B but the actual box size is 30'10".

Any RV park wants to know ball-bumper length, that is the number that needs to be gone by.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Oaklevel wrote:

Show us an OEM or DEALER who uses the ball to bumper (overall trailer length) in their advertising, model number or ANYWHERE besides the specification chart.

I've bought and sold more trailers than I can count, and NEVER has anyone gone by the overall length. Ever.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Oaklevel wrote:
But we do pay a personal property tax to the city or county in which we live, that also varies greatly

Personal property tax? On a trailer?! :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
The 3 foot variation between floor size and total length is always up in the air depending on who you ask. Private sellers as well as dealers routinely list it both ways. After just shopping for a new unit I'd say it's about 50/50. If anyone is shopping and must know for some reason (to fit in a garage for example) you have to just look out for yourself and bring a tape measure.

As time moves on the number in the model# seems to have less and less to do with anything. If yours measures 31 feet bumper to ball I'd forgot anything about 26'. It's either a 28' or 31'. My last unit was those exact measurements. I'd usually just call it a 30 foot TT for reservations. If a search turned up no spots at a particular campground I'd change it 29' and try again ๐Ÿ™‚

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer

Every state is different for trailer tag registration. We paid a one time fee in Virginia for over 4000 lbs of $100 but you can also do it annually for $29.50 here your choise. But we do pay a personal property tax to the city or county in which we live, that also varies greatly

Community Alumni
Not applicable
SoundGuy wrote:

I have to ask - what are these "charges by length or weight" those of you in the US are describing? Is this an annual cost? :h.

Here the annual registration fee is based on the gross weight of the trailer. The fee you pay is based on the range your gross weight falls in. Less than 6k = $45, 6k-10k = $54, 10k-18k = $110, and so on.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
The model numbers are like the dry weight, only a slight indication of the true figure.

The DW and I used a 12 foot tape measure and measured side of the TT. It was 24 ft. 9 inches. 25 feet to us. Add the bumper and hitch it is closer to 28.

As mentioned if space is short and we want to park the TV in front, we back the wheels to the end of the parking pad. In Kentucky we once over hung a drop off.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
For buying and selling....its a 26' TT which is the "box or living space" that's why this number is often found in the model number.

For booking camp sites and towing...its a 31' TT.