cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning care

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer
Have hada bunch of rain,, who hasn't. Any way just opened ours and found alot of moldy spots.:h
Good cleaners?

Thats all.
Thanks
Chuck
17 REPLIES 17

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer
ok

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Mr Clean Magic Eraser is what I've used for many years now; works great. :C

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
lgarcia wrote:
I consider my awning to be a work of art - leaf stains and mold are artistic embellishments.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.

That's sort of my take on it too. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

As an alternative just DO NOT look up when the awning is out:p

Larry

LOL! That is what I tell my wife... it's above me, so I don't notice it!

I have heard of people having success with Tilex type spray, then rolling up the awning for awhile (hours?), then opening and hosing it off.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
lgarcia wrote:
I consider my awning to be a work of art - leaf stains and mold are artistic embellishments.

That's sort of my take on it too. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

As an alternative just DO NOT look up when the awning is out:p

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use Mold Armor found at Lowes in the paint dept. Spray on and wait. Stains gone.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
I did the Tilex route this year the first time I cleaned it. I ruined my clothes in the process but my awning is clean!!!

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
I had this issue last year and I asked the same question. I went out and bought a Mr.Clean Magic Eraser mop($14.00). A hose and that mop is all you will need. It worked great!!
KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all , I think I will try the Camco stuff, am in Califorinaia and at the time am in a place where we cannot wash, so will wait till we get back to the home land Oregon.

oldcat1
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
The most annoying thing with our awning is rain always seeps into the ends when it is rolled up. It settles to the bottom of each layer and leaves a band of dirt as each layer unrolls.

If I am storing the TT for any length of time, I seal the roll ends with a piece of duct tape. Really helps.

Safe travels.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0
2014 Surveyor Sport 220RBS

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Greased Lightning for years and it works great on the awning and black streaks. I buy a 5 gallon container at Lowes once a year for 27 bucks and use it for the rv and the house. For the rv I use a 1 gallon pump sprayer....I can wash the entire rv and awning with just over a gallon. I use a soft car wash brush on a long pole. After the awning is dry I treat with Armor All once a year....makes cleaning easier and keeps the vinyl soft

lgarcia
Explorer
Explorer

-Laura
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH (specs and floor plan in profile)
2015 Ram 1500 Hemi

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
The most annoying thing with our awning is rain always seeps into the ends when it is rolled up. It settles to the bottom of each layer and leaves a band of dirt as each layer unrolls.

We try to clean it once a year but it really does not last.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Make wet, wipe (do not scrub), wipe again with a dry cloth. Comes right off. If needed, wipe the Mr. Clean a second time. Resist temptation to scrub. Works wonderful. So small areas at a time, start in one corner and work you way across. You'll not have mold for a long-long time again. Been using Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for over 10 years now. Use it twice a season. That's all.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
The best thing I found to clean a dirty, moldy, mildew, stained RV awning is 'Awning Cleaner' ! :B

Really I tried all the home made so called tricks and what WORKS is RV Awning Cleaner pure and simple. They know what stains RV awnings and formulated a cleaner for it. And more importantly they formulated a cleaner that won't harm RV awning material.

Camco Awning Cleaner

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.