cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Back up camera suggestions

Georshrwd
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone installed a back up camera on their TT? I'm having a set of headrest monitors installed for my girls and the interface allows for two additional cameras to be input to my touch screen. Any suggestions on camers and how did you hide your wire up to the camera?

Thanks!
2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn
2013 Passport 23BH
21 REPLIES 21

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Still Searchin' wrote:
Next question: which of these Wireless cameras are waterproof??

The iBall is submersible. But lacks night vision, so you'll need good backup lights on your trailer.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I have the voyager camera. Love it. I have no problems with it working from rear of TT to front of Pickup. Dealer installed mine with wiring to hot wire of inside light so it isn't dependent on tail lights for power. I left TT at dealer and pulled away and it worked nearly 100 yards away.. the brick and steel framed showroom was then between me and the trailer, so it was no wonder it wouldn't pick up further.. oh yeah, this has microphone on camera, so if you have help, it is nice you can hear them without having to use radio/phone or yelling.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Still_Searchin_
Explorer
Explorer
Next question: which of these Wireless cameras are waterproof??
2011 Jayco Eagle Lite 256rks 28ft. travel trailer; Reese SC hitch
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500 6L w/3.73 differential
Member: TTN, Escapees, Good Sam
3x around USA, traveling about 6 mo/year

Doering
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:
Heard of a lot of people are using the GE or similar baby monitors, usually with long trailers where you really need it. So I think it works over that distance. Just be careful when it rains; they're not waterproof.

For inside mounting some guys have used GPS holders (suction cup to glass) on the rear window. Others are able to mount the camera to the window sill

Doering
Explorer
Explorer
Still Searchin' wrote:
Thanks much for that info! Wife & I haven't had backing issues (we use walkie talkies) BUT wife wants to do more RVing than I do and she hasn't learned to back our trailer worth a darn, but she's determined! Issue with transmission vs. your test above is that signal would have to go through the trailer and most of the pick-up before it got to the moniter on the dash, so somewhat more challenging than a straight 100ft. through a wall or two of a house, true?

I was in the truck with the monitor and I had the camera in the basement also. So the signal was certainly bounced around and traveled through lots of solid material. I don't think there have been any problems associated with your concern with the units the guys are currently using. I'm not aware of any reports on the forums with lose of signal over the distance we need for this.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Heard of a lot of people are using the GE or similar baby monitors, usually with long trailers where you really need it. So I think it works over that distance. Just be careful when it rains; they're not waterproof.

Still_Searchin_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks much for that info! Wife & I haven't had backing issues (we use walkie talkies) BUT wife wants to do more RVing than I do and she hasn't learned to back our trailer worth a darn, but she's determined! Issue with transmission vs. your test above is that signal would have to go through the trailer and most of the pick-up before it got to the moniter on the dash, so somewhat more challenging than a straight 100ft. through a wall or two of a house, true?

Doering
Explorer
Explorer
Still Searchin' wrote:
On the wireless systems (iBall or GE), how well do they transmit from the back of a trailer to the moniter on tow vehicle's dash (about 44 feet for us) ??? IF camera was mounted on back bumper of TT, how effective would that location be for backing into tight spaces??

I purchased a system (Lorex Live Sense) very similar to the GE one. The range is spec'ed at 300-400 feet, so there is no problem with transmission for our application. Haven't set it up yet in the trailer and only tested the unit at home. Camera in the house and me out on the street with the monitor (well over 100 feet away and the image was crisp. I will use it mainly on the road for monitoring traffic behind me. With the wide angle camera it will give you a good sense (and keep you in the ballpark re direction and angle) when backing up.

Still_Searchin_
Explorer
Explorer
On the wireless systems (iBall or GE), how well do they transmit from the back of a trailer to the moniter on tow vehicle's dash (about 44 feet for us) ??? IF camera was mounted on back bumper of TT, how effective would that location be for backing into tight spaces??

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
I do, but not everybody has a rear window. So the waterproof iball would be better if it has night vision.

EDIT: BUT IT DOES NOT. Relies on backup lights.

Doering
Explorer
Explorer
Many are using wireless baby monitoring systems. You simply mount the camera inside the rear window of the trailer and you have continuous monitoring behind the trailer while traveling and when backing up.

Here is a GE model
Wireless camera and monitor

And a video of the unit in action:
Video

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Does the IBall have night vision?
My trailer's backup lights are pathetic ...

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Iball unit, and I am very pleased with it. Its portable so I attach it to the rear of the TT when backing in a tight spot.It paid for itself with divedens a few weeks back when I got boxed in and had to worm my way out.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
BillB800si wrote:
For $140- wire less- plugs into the cigarette lighter why not try this?
Watch the video- it's real simple.
iBall camera

This is nicer than the one mentioned in the thread I linked to. That one requires that you hold the monitor.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS