cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bearings packed

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
Curious what it costs in your area to get double axle trailer bearings packed. I am in New England so especially interested in northeast cost. Not talking repairs to brakes, just a straight up pack the bearings change the seals.
48 REPLIES 48

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Thermoguy wrote:
Not in the NE, but the last time I did mine is when I was buying new tires. They did them for $30 each and it took them and extra 5-10 minutes per wheel. I watched them and they showed me how easy it is to do, but probably would have them do it again.

It cannot be done right that fast. Or did they just use a grease gun and pump some into the hub via the zerk?
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boon Docker wrote:
Wow, that's what I call price gouging.
Considering it takes about one hour to do 4 wheels.

I disagree. If those are posted prices, you have the ability to decide if you want to pay for someone to do it, or invest $10 and do it yourself. The OP, or whomever else, can decide if its worth $230 to pay someone else or get their own hands dirty.

Its price gouging to sell water for $50/case after a hurricane.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Huntindog wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Agreed, one can doo harm to seals with either device. Well sort of. The biggest issue is getting grease on brakes unless you totally over grease and pack the whole hub plumb full.
Actually for that system to work as designed, one MUST fill the hub plumb full.

Youโ€™re correct in that is what bearing buddy says. And in the past like 30 years ago, I thought that was the right answer. It also lead to grease always blowing past the seals.
I would never recommend someone filling the entire cavity with grease, nor should you.
I donโ€™t believe thereโ€™s an exact science as to how much grease. But you sure want more than just 2 neatly packed bearings and a clean empty void between the bearings and you donโ€™t want so much thst the spinning grease is continually in contact with the spindle. The right answer is somewhere in between.
I typically put a few good size globs in the void along with generously packed bearings. Guessing maybe total of about 1/3 full.
Totally full and bearing buddies is just a guarantee of grease getting pushed past the rear seal pretty quick once things heat up.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Some of yโ€™all are funny.
Yes it will take less time if the wheels are already off. But it f you can back off the brakes, jack up one side, remove wheels, remove drums/hubs, remove seal, clean out bearings and hubs completely repack and re assemble, re adjust brakes before dropping the trailer and going to the other side, you are a 1 man NASCAR crew!

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thermoguy wrote:
Not in the NE, but the last time I did mine is when I was buying new tires. They did them for $30 each and it took them and extra 5-10 minutes per wheel. I watched them and they showed me how easy it is to do, but probably would have them do it again.

Did they pull the hub, remove the bearings, clean and inspect for wear, install new wheel seals and pack the bearings and hubs in 10 minutes per wheel? Or did they remove the cap jam grease into the hub then reinstall cap.
I guess that's repacking the hub.. Bearings chip and races chip. No amount of grease will help when the failure comes.Check those bearings folks.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Agreed, one can doo harm to seals with either device. Well sort of. The biggest issue is getting grease on brakes unless you totally over grease and pack the whole hub plumb full.

Plus all the old grease, which may be contaminated, must be pushed out by new grease without mixing.
I sometimes lay money down to watch the galloping dominos, but won't make that bet.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I must be a one man pit crew then. It takes me just a little over an hour to do my two axle trailer.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
That said, it is definitely more than an hour project start to finish. Iโ€™m pretty adept at working on my own stuff and even with 2 floor jacks and power tools an hour would literally be pit crew speed.
But Iโ€™m not arguing the virtues of a good old fashioned wheel bearing service. Was just making a funny about the comments that always ensue on this topic. Cheers!!

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
Grit dog wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
I use bearing buddies, with a grease zerk in the bearing cap.

Oooohhh better duck. Those are blasphemous words on the ole rv.net!
To the OP, have never paid for simple services like that. But with shop rates around $100/hr I donโ€™t think youโ€™ll get anyone reputable to do it for less than a couple hundred.

most of the time the people who mess up jobs with EZ lube berrings (Berring buddys are for boats. yes they were adapted to rv's but I haven't seen them in a long time on a RV) are either using a power greaser or not constantly spining the tire while there pumping it in. or they put three to 5 pumps in and wonder why there berrings fail. I havent had an issue with them in any rv or boar I have owned.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
deadticket8 wrote:
I absolutely agree with not trusting bearing buddies. Long story short, watch a few you tube videos. Its fine for a mid season grease up......Anyway, although I have done for myself I am getting a little old and have a huge to do list that keeps growing.... The only price I got so far was over $400. That seemed a little high.

Wow, that's what I call price gouging.
Considering it takes about one hour to do 4 wheels.

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
I absolutely agree with not trusting bearing buddies. Long story short, watch a few you tube videos. Its fine for a mid season grease up......Anyway, although I have done for myself I am getting a little old and have a huge to do list that keeps growing.... The only price I got so far was over $400. That seemed a little high.

I also do my own but do have some NE knowledge โ€ฆ Service rates are right around $120 per hrโ€ฆ
I believe most will charge 2 hrsโ€ฆ plus suppliesโ€ฆ. Plus shop supplies, like shop towels, gloves, s&it like thatโ€ฆ

All on probably looking at $250 - $300, give or take

As a check, I just looked on Camping Worldโ€™s siteโ€ฆ $369 for 2 axle RV

Not saying to ise them, just an example
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Boon Docker wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
I use bearing buddies, with a grease zerk in the bearing cap.

Where are they loacated?

???