cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beginner Questions

Roo_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I am a total newbie to the camping lifestyle.. just got my Roo a couple weeks ago..and went for a test/trial run this past weekend..Had to work out all the kinks of what I needed to do.. It was a huge learning experience I will admit..:)

I do have a couple questions though, ( and I'm sure more will arise along the way).. but firstly.. does anyone know of where I can get the reflective covers to put over the bed areas, to help keep the heat/cold out?

Secondly.. I have this nice flat screen TV..and no clue how/or what I need to do to be able to watch anything..

Thank you for your help..
Roo Camper
RooCamper...
Retired and loving every minute of it !!
30 REPLIES 30

Roo_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Ok.. went out and checked out where the cable is supposed to be connected..along with the little black button.. here are some pics..

RooCamper...

3boxerss
Explorer
Explorer
on ours the little black button is on the lower right hand of the white square on the wall that your coax screws into
2017 Wildwood XLite 201BHXL
2016 Ford F250
Previous Camper 2001 Bantam B19 by Trail Lite

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Roo Camper wrote:
and I have used the antenna for the radio part of the system.. so I know that is functioning..

the radio antenna is a separate thing from the tv antenna.

not sure what new Roos come with now. ours had a spring base metal antenna for the radio and a crankup Wineguard batwing antenna for the tv.

should be a little black button on the plate, with a green led light, for the antenna booster.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Roo Camper wrote:
ok ordered my solar covers..Bob at popupgizmos was super nice and even took time to explain to me how to install them.. www.popupgizmos.com

Bob is famous, in the hybrid and popup community, for his excellent customer service and support.
he's a big reason we all buy from them and tell others about them.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Roo_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
ok ordered my solar covers..Bob at popupgizmos was super nice and even took time to explain to me how to install them.. www.popupgizmos.com
RooCamper...

Roo_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I figured out the antenna part...but can't seem to find the button..I know it is there, it was shown to me when I bought the camper..and yes I saw him turn it on..talked to me about it, saying I wouldn't get anything without it.. but now I've gone blonde and cant seem to find it.. ๐Ÿ˜ž
RooCamper...

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
You should have more than one coax connection. One would be for cable, the other for over the air. Mine is a small white block has a small button on it foe antennae boost. Tv won't work with out. You also hava a crak on the ceiling for deploying the antennae.

Roo_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Most of us buy PUGs(popup gizmos).
the cheap and thin survival blankets are NOT the same and will not hold up.
you can buy the 5x7 sportsman/all-weather blankets that cost about $14 but one won't completely cover the longer front bunk.
they are available at Cabelas, REI and many other places.

As far as the tv, will you have cable hookups or not?
is the tv already hooked into coax outlet?
if you want use the tv antenna, that's a little more involved.

And remember, if you don't have electrical hookups, your outlets and tv will NOT work.
you have to have a generator for the outlets.
The tv can also work if you install an inverter.

Thank you.. I went to the site for Popup Gizmo's.. but don't see my camper listed, so I guess I have to call. The TV is already hooked up to a coax cable into the wall..and I have used the antenna for the radio part of the system.. so I know that is functioning..
RooCamper...

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
go with super high wind popup gizmos. They work great, and are meant for both high and low temp extremes creating comfortable bunk ends.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Roo Camper wrote:
I do have a couple questions though, ( and I'm sure more will arise along the way).. but firstly.. does anyone know of where I can get the reflective covers to put over the bed areas, to help keep the heat/cold out?

Secondly.. I have this nice flat screen TV..and no clue how/or what I need to do to be able to watch anything..

Thank you for your help..
Roo Camper

Most of us buy PUGs(popup gizmos).
the cheap and thin survival blankets are NOT the same and will not hold up.
you can buy the 5x7 sportsman/all-weather blankets that cost about $14 but one won't completely cover the longer front bunk.
they are available at Cabelas, REI and many other places.

As far as the tv, will you have cable hookups or not?
is the tv already hooked into coax outlet?
if you want use the tv antenna, that's a little more involved.

And remember, if you don't have electrical hookups, your outlets and tv will NOT work.
you have to have a generator for the outlets.
The tv can also work if you install an inverter.

Roo_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Cali.. I will remember that also.. my bff and I are leaving in Sept. heading to Yellowstone and a few places out that way.. Even though I could have used the reflector blankets last weekend to help with keeping the heat out, I'm thinking they will be just as beneficial in keeping the heat in/cold out when the temps go down at night...but are they worth the money? Or should I just go with the cheaper survival blankets?
RooCamper...

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Remember each time you go to a new location you will have to have the TV re-scan for available channels.
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

Roo_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Raven.. I will look into that.. and I have cable line here, will go out tomorrow and look for the hook up place.. ๐Ÿ™‚
RooCamper...

RavenNS
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, the reflector blankets you are asking about are called "pop up gizmos"... Aka "pugs"; do a search for that and you'll find the website that sells them.
They seem expensive but are on my wish-list. I think $2 survival blankets and some bungee cords would probably be similarly effective.
You can also buy reflectix at Home Depot which you can cut to size to fit in your zip up windows.

With regards to cable tv, you can buy a cable tv cable at your local electronic store or radio shack type store. You should find a connection port on the outside of your htt usually near all your other hook up things

Roo_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I tried the antenna...didn't help.. got nuttin.. and what kinda cable..the same you use at home? and not sure where it would hook up?

Thanks for the response..
Roo Camper
RooCamper...