cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best propane conversion for Honda EU2000

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have decided to buy a Honda EU2000 Companion for our TT. I want to convert it to tri-fuel so I can run it off of the trailer's propane tank, but still have the option of gasoline if needed. What is the best conversion kit out there? I have been searching, and have ideas, but would like opinions from people who have done it.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB
12 REPLIES 12

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
2DHoop wrote:
Looks like some more straight forward comments here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/honda-gen-but-which-propane-kit-162096.html

Thank you. That link was quite useful.
Bobbo and Lin

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I would never do it for one reason. I pack my Gen out as far from the 5er as I can. Sometimes 50'. I don't want to have to pack a propane tank that far too. And pack em both back.

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
Chainwright wrote:
I don't know if you've already read about it, but NatGasCar in Cleveland is a startup shop that augments gasoline cars by installing a parallel natural gas fuel system.

Thanks, but I want to convert a Honda generator, not a vehicle.

Bessie-Hunter wrote:
I got mine from PropaneCarbs.com. Works great and was easy to install. Its also bi-fuel.

That is one that I am considering. Unfortunately, their website says this kit is unavailable.

romore wrote:
Why would you want to? I can't see a conversion being practical or even doable due to size constraints. The EU2000 is an extremely compact unit and sips fuel.

My reasons are immaterial. But thank you for playing.

This one is the front runner right now from Hutch Mountain.

Looks like some more straight forward comments here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/honda-gen-but-which-propane-kit-162096.html
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Gas going bad is the ONLY logical reason to make the conversion.

That is your opinion. What is best for you is not necessarily what is best for others. Please allow me to decide what is best for me. Although your post contributed little, still, thank you for playing. (You did point out some of the downsides for people who haven't researched as much as I have.)

BTW, you DO realize this is a tri-fuel conversion and the generator will still work just fine on gasoline?
Yes I saw that. You did not share you logic/reasons for this, so I did not comment, other than some general generator operating principles. Which were not really intended for you, but for others that are/may be considering following in your footsteps.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:

That is your opinion. What is best for you is not necessarily what is best for others. Please allow me to decide what is best for me. Although your post contributed little, still, thank you for playing. (You did point out some of the downsides for people who haven't researched as much as I have.)

BTW, you DO realize this is a tri-fuel conversion and the generator will still work just fine on gasoline?
Bobbo and Lin

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Three dog night wrote:
Wow the stuff you can learn here. I didn't know that that was possible, never really thought about it I guess. I just bought that Honda. I might look interesting a switch of fuels too eliminate the bad gas problem.
I used to switch over wind machine to lpg when I was in the vineyard business.
Rick.

Generators get worse economy and put out less power when run on propane. Gas is also much easier to get, when off the beaten path.

I would only recommend those that are light generator users make the conversion.

If you are a heavy user (I am) then the bad gas issue is moot.

Still, many people only use their TTs 2-3 times a year, for short trips... It can make sense for them, so long as they are aware of the downsides.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Three_dog_night
Explorer
Explorer
Wow the stuff you can learn here. I didn't know that that was possible, never really thought about it I guess. I just bought that Honda. I might look interesting a switch of fuels too eliminate the bad gas problem.
I used to switch over wind machine to lpg when I was in the vineyard business.
Rick.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chainwright wrote:
I don't know if you've already read about it, but NatGasCar in Cleveland is a startup shop that augments gasoline cars by installing a parallel natural gas fuel system.

Thanks, but I want to convert a Honda generator, not a vehicle.

Bessie-Hunter wrote:
I got mine from PropaneCarbs.com. Works great and was easy to install. Its also bi-fuel.

That is one that I am considering. Unfortunately, their website says this kit is unavailable.

romore wrote:
Why would you want to? I can't see a conversion being practical or even doable due to size constraints. The EU2000 is an extremely compact unit and sips fuel.

My reasons are immaterial. But thank you for playing.

This one is the front runner right now from Hutch Mountain.

Bobbo and Lin

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II

Bessie-Hunter
Explorer
Explorer

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
We have decided to buy a Honda EU2000 Companion for our TT. I want to convert it to tri-fuel so I can run it off of the trailer's propane tank, but still have the option of gasoline if needed. What is the best conversion kit out there? I have been searching, and have ideas, but would like opinions from people who have done it.