cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Truck for New Camper?

Jimster
Explorer
Explorer
I need help choosing a truck for a new camper. My wife and I have narrowed our selection of a camper down to one with a wet weight of 4368 lbs or another with a wet weight of 4774 lbs. We want a 4x4 truck with a crew cab and would prefer SRW, and recently rented a Ford SuperDuty F350 with the lighter camper in Canada and it worked great for traveling the Demptser Highway and some pretty gnarly B.C. forest roads. Unfortunately, the Ford’s payload rating is 3800 lbs, suggesting that the truck we rented was overloaded with our camper.

Chevrolet’s 4x4 Silverado HD 3500 diesel’s payload is 4080 lbs, and Dodge’s Ram 3500 diesel’s payload is 4350 lbs.

How important is a truck’s GRVW and payload rating and what recommendation would you give us for a truck to haul the camper we want to buy and use boondocking and traveling the US and Canada? Should we look at DRWs rather than SRWs?

Thanks for your good advice to a newbie!
2016 Ford F-350 Lariat, LB, 6.7L Diesel, 4X4, 3.73 LSD, DRW, Camper Package, Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags, TireMaster A1A
2017 Arctic Fox 811, Arctic Fox Landing, 160 watt solar panel, Torklift Fast Guns, Camera-Source Plug & Play Camper Camera Kit
59 REPLIES 59

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
OP, something that needs to be considered with the SRW/DRW choice is how much will you be using the truck with the camper loaded? Also where are you planning on taking it?

If you will be mostly running empty throughout the year then a SRW (suitably beefed up) might fit the bill better. If you will be doing extensive traveling with the camper the nod goes to the DRW, UNLESS you plan on heading down lots of Forest Service type trails to remote campsites in which case the beefed up SRW would work better.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
daily double wrote:
Camper pkg. should give you what you want, suspension alt. etc.

On Fords at least, the Camper Pkg does not include the second alternator nor I believe the heavier duty alternator.

The Snow Plow Prep does include the strongest front springs and the heavier duty SINGLE alternator.
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
it took a fair amount of driving with a single "heavy-duty" alternator to fully charge our camper batteries after several days of usage and little driving.

This isn't an issue with the alternator but an issue with the small stock wiring, usually only #10 for power circuit to the connector. You can alleviate this by putting in your own wiring and heavy duty connector for a real charge circuit.

Did this on my Ram with #2 and the most I have seen is about 20A into the battery while providing another 11A to the fridge on DC.

Understand about the electric-shift in a package. On my Ram the only way to get manual is with the bottom trim level and we wanted some features offered in one trim level up so made the compromise. The Ram takes about 10 seconds to shift which would be a long time once you start sliding. Loved the old Dodge with manual shift as I could have it engaged in about a second.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
Jimster wrote:
allygerry: I have a Jeep with manual 4X4, which I use a lot; I didn't know that manual 4x4 selection was an option on the F350 - assumed the shift-on-the-fly was part of one of the option packages. Thanks also for your suggestion on the second alternator; we were surprised during our rental experience of a F350 and Adventurer 86SBS that it took a fair amount of driving with a single "heavy-duty" alternator to fully charge our camper batteries after several days of usage and little driving.

Unless something has changed, the stock second alternator is not set-up to charge on its own on a secondary circuit. The computer controls both alternators and only kicks in the second when the load demands.

I have had the Shift-on-the-Fly setup on all three of my Super Duties and have been very satisfied with it. With the hubs set to auto you have the ability to QUICKLY throw it into 4WD if the situation demands. Such as suddenly finding yourself in soft sand or mud without having to stop to lock in the hubs (stopping sometimes means you can't get going again without lots of work). To give a bit of perspective, I am a hardcore off-roader in my Early Bronco, running trails up to and including the Hammers and have also wheeled the SuperDuty several times as well.

I didn't dig very much but it appears that once you get to a certain trim level with Fords the Shift-on-the-Fly becomes mandatory.

Op while I agree that your desired camper is probably best served by a DRW, Ford offers many GVWR/payloads packages and the max payload listed for an 2016 F350 SRW CC 4x4 is in the 11300/4270 package. Throwing this out there so that people know to check the payload of the actual truck they want instead of simply thinking there is only one across the line up.

Jimster
Explorer
Explorer
allygerry: I have a Jeep with manual 4X4, which I use a lot; I didn't know that manual 4x4 selection was an option on the F350 - assumed the shift-on-the-fly was part of one of the option packages. Thanks also for your suggestion on the second alternator; we were surprised during our rental experience of a F350 and Adventurer 86SBS that it took a fair amount of driving with a single "heavy-duty" alternator to fully charge our camper batteries after several days of usage and little driving.
2016 Ford F-350 Lariat, LB, 6.7L Diesel, 4X4, 3.73 LSD, DRW, Camper Package, Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags, TireMaster A1A
2017 Arctic Fox 811, Arctic Fox Landing, 160 watt solar panel, Torklift Fast Guns, Camera-Source Plug & Play Camper Camera Kit

Jimster
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad: The Shift-on-the-fly option is part of one of the option packages for a 4X4 DRW F350 -- can't figure out which one. We used it on our 4X4 F350 XLT SRW rental for 3 weeks, and it worked fine for us in some interesting mud and funky back-country Canadian forest roads. I'll check on this feature when I talk to a dealer. Thanks for raising the question.

allygerry
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely the dually 4x4 with the manual 4x4 floor shift no automatic shift on the fly 4x4. Had a Ford work truck that had an auxiliary alternator for charging the extra batteries to power an inverter to run 110 volt tools. That would really charge the TC batteries while driving. It's your money do what feels right for you however it's a rather large chuck of change so try to get it right without having to do too many mods to make it work.

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
Camper pkg. should give you what you want, suspension alt. etc.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Curious as why you want electronic 4x4 shift? That was the only option I didn't want on my truck that I really didn't have a choice over. It is slower to shift and something else to go wrong.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Jimster
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks ThreeBigFords for the note about the wide-axle option for F350s; I hadn't seen it on Ford's Build sheet but will ask about it.

Any other options I should look at? Heavy duty front suspension, Camper package, extra heavy-duty alternator, skid plates, 4x4 Electronic Shift-on-the-fly, and 3.73 Limited Slip axle ratio are on my build sheet for a 4X4 F350 Lariat DRW crew cab with long bed and 6.7L Diesel. This combination gives me a payload of 5,720 lbs.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Very thoughtful replies here. You cannot buy the bona fide experience of those who posted above. Almost everyone is bidding you escape the "Incrementalism".
Incrementalism is a term I pasted on Jeep upgrades following the, "Jeeps are built, not bought" school of thinking. If it's your hobby, and you want to prove it can be done, then by all means get there little by little. If you want to get from alpha to omega in one pop, the highest load rated, nay, overrated dually is the one. Now that I'm out of the Jeep Biz and maybe...wiser, my advice is as others have suggested: purchase the truck that will carry the load safely, without all those costly and time consuming in-between steps.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Hooray! for the dually! 😛
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Yukoners
Explorer
Explorer
Good decision to go DRW after all that unanimous advice:)...
2006 GMC 3500 4x4 Duramax/Allison SRW LB CC Helwig Sway Bars, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone airbags, Rickson 19.5", Bridgestone M729F 225s, Airraid CAI, Lightforce driving lights.
2012 Arctic Fox 990 Torklift tie downs, Fast guns, Foxlanding, 2500 Onan gennie

Bedlam
Although I was able to haul my AF811 on a F250 and still tow a big trailer, I had to upgrade suspension and wheels to do it safely. We're going to a bigger TC soon, so I have upgraded my truck to a large DRW. Now it handles the same load stock without any modifications until we get that heavier TC.

If you already have reliable SRW that you want to keep, there are options to comfortably carry a 2-ton TC. If you do not have the truck yet, you are better off starting with a DRW and making any minor adjustments rather than major.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
Since you're opting for the dually, do yourself a favor and test drive an F350 DRW with the wide track front axle option. (standard on an f450 but those are hard to find)

Then compare the other trucks. The turning radius improvement will make you completely forget your driving a dually.
15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab