Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best TT for A Family of 7 w/ Nissan NV Passenger Van as TV

CatonsvilleFred
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

For a long time we've had a dream of taking our 5 kids on long road trips across the country. Right now, we're in the beginning stage of looking for Travel Trailers... Trying to do my research so as not to make a mistake. While we are new to RV'ing, we are a pretty adventurous family and like the outdoors.

We just bought a 2015 Nissan NV Passenger Van w/ Tow Package. We bought the van for non-towing excursions and to be able to pull a trailer in the future. The van has a towing capacity of 8700 lbs. (but that assumes just a driver and the seats). We're going to be pulling about 280 lbs. of seats out of the van when we take trips, but we'll be adding the weight of 6 additional passengers--on the bright side all of our kids are under 100 lbs right now.

We're interested in a travel trailer that can hold all 7 of us reasonably comfortably. I have seen a few quad-bunk options that really look like they'd work for us. My kids are aged 11, 11, 11, 10, and 7 ... 4 boys and 1 girl. We are thinking that the boys could be in a "bunk house" and our daughter could sleep on the couch or dinette.

Our preference is to get a trailer well within the limits of the van. For us that means looking at TT's with dry weights in the no-more-than 6,000-6,300 lb. range - but below 6,000 lbs would be even better. That will give us decent room for people in the van + cargo... and I know my kids will be gaining weight as they grow!

Our ultimate goal is take take a cross-country trip. (We live in Maryland so that is our starting point). But we will take a bunch of shorter trips first to get the hang of towing.

We are fortunate to have a decent amount of $ to spend, but I really would like to get the trailer and all related components (e.g., WD hitch, etc.) for under $20k and I'd REALLY be happy if I could get it all under $15k.

We are open to used trailers or new, and would love some advice for what we should be looking for with our TV.

Thanks so much for your ideas!
29 REPLIES 29

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
CatonsvilleFred wrote:
mbopp wrote:
Be careful about "brochure" weights - most trailers come in at 400# or so over the listed weight.
IIRR a Roo 233 is a 3-bed hybrid.

I've wondered about this. Why is this? How is this legal?

Disclaimers!!
Product information is as accurate as possible at the date of publication of this brochure.
Features, floor plans, and specifications are subject to change without notice.
Please also consult Keystoneโ€™s web site at keystonerv.com for more current product information and specifications.

Tow Vehicle Disclaimer.
CAUTION: Owners of Keystone recreational vehicles are solely responsible for the selection and proper use of tow vehicles. All customers should consult with a motor vehicle manufacturer or their dealer concerning the purchase and use of suitable tow vehicles for Keystone products. Keystone disclaims any liability or damages suffered as a result of the selection, operation, use or misuse of a tow vehicle.
KEYSTONEโ€™S LIMITED WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER DAMAGE TO THE RECREATIONAL VEHICLE OR THE TOW VEHICLE AS A RESULT OF THE SELECTION, OPERATION, USE OR MISUSE OF THE TOW VEHICLE.

You will find similar Disclaimers in the FINE print on websites.

That 287QBS 7600# GVWR (Shipping weight + Cargo Carrying Capacity)
The 7600# Gross will not change...Cargo Carrying Capacity can go down due to Options/Dealer Added Accessories etc.

7600# GVWR times 13%----988# tongue weight (based on dry weight/dry hitch at 12.7%)

So when you weigh VAN 'Camp Ready' do you have enough capacity for 1000# tongue (hitch/tongue weight)??
Course this is an example.
A WDH will transfer some weight BUT take into account VANs rear axle weight/rating, VANs rear tires load ratings, VANS hitch rating and VANs GVWR

Have fun shopping.........took us over 6 months of active shopping to pick out our 5vr and it was just 2 of us :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

CatonsvilleFred
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
Be careful about "brochure" weights - most trailers come in at 400# or so over the listed weight.

I've wondered about this. Why is this? How is this legal?

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jayco hybrid
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
One thing to calculate in is the potential for 4 boys just about to hit the teenage years can have a major growth spurt at any moment. I'd pad the "weight" of the family by another 100-200lbs now so that you'll have room for them to grow without having to buy a new trailer and tow vehicle.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
A hybrid doesn't work for us. We don't like them because the way we use our camper is to move every night or two, often in rainy weather. With that in mind we own a passport elite ultra lite. We often have the kids and grandkids with us and tow with a Chevy express passenger van with roughly the same capacities as your Nissan. My point is check out all your options and do your own research. Listening to some might cause you undue anxiety or concern. We have navigated much of North America safely and successfully including most of the mountain ranges though some here might suggest that our TV isn't powerful enough.
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
The link isn't working and I'm not finding a Bullet 287BQ model. Is it a 2015 or 2016? And is it a 287QBS? That's a very nice quad-bunk.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
I agree about 1/2 hour setup, I would say the 2 bunks only add 10 minutes. I also find one that has the floor plan you need/like and a dealer with a good rep that is driving distance for when you need a repair/ new tires etc.

We choose a Kodiak, but the only really winner for it over the Jayco or Roo was the finish seemed much nicer, less cheap looking. But they do not have a 3 bunk as far as I know. I think I saw a 3 bunk Jayco and Roo at RV show in town last winter.

If you are not in a rush, wait until the winter and find an RV show, you will see everything under one roof... and I mean everything. You may also get good prices too.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Once you know what you're doing, setting up a hybrid takes about 1/2 hour (especially if almost everybody pitches in rather than leaving it all up to dad - or mom). That said, with a regular, non-hybrid trailer, it takes us probably 20-30 minutes to get set up, including leveling the TT if needed, plugging in, hooking up the water hose, deploying the slideout, and carrying into the TT everything we bring with us in the truck (which is pretty much stuff - I like to have certain things readily available on trips.)

As far as brands go, what matters almost more, IMO, is the local dealerships, especially their service departments. Jayco and Rockwood Roo are probably the most commonly-found hybrids.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

CatonsvilleFred
Explorer
Explorer
rwbradley wrote:
I would recommend you take a look at Hybrids. You get the tent camping feel with a full trailer with all the features. You get far more usable space when open than you have when towing. For example mine is 21' closed but when opened it adds about 5 additional feet on each end with 2 queen beds (effectively giving me a 31' at under 3500lbs). They generally tend to be some of the lighter trailers (especially for the volume you are getting). You can also get some models that have 3 tent ends (front, back and one side). With a jackknife sofa or dinette that converts to a bed (which are common) and you have lots of room for a big/young family. There are lots of HTT's in the 3500-6000 lbs range. Due to your weight budget, as tempting as a slide out may be for additional space, the frame/track for a slide adds a lot of weight. I would definitely look at WD, it improves handling quite a bit for me. I would also get a sway bar, nothing more nerve wracking than seeing some of the idiots on the road with their trailer fishtailing down the highway. Also I would look at getting a tranny cooler.

Can you recommend some specific brands for the hybrids trailers?

I was told the NV comes standard with the tranny cooler and is ready to go for towing...

This is one trailer we've been thinking about:

Keystone Bullet

It's the Keystone Bullet 287BQ on this page... It is 5500 lbs. shipping weight.

If possible we would like our kids to be in separate beds... and a bunkhouse model would support that.

I am looking for competitors to this type of thing, and I hadn't considered hybrids so I will give that a look.

What is your setup time on a hybrid when you stop? (i.e., how long does it take to get everything setup)?

Fred

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend you take a look at Hybrids. You get the tent camping feel with a full trailer with all the features. You get far more usable space when open than you have when towing. For example mine is 21' closed but when opened it adds about 5 additional feet on each end with 2 queen beds (effectively giving me a 31' at under 3500lbs). They generally tend to be some of the lighter trailers (especially for the volume you are getting). You can also get some models that have 3 tent ends (front, back and one side). With a jackknife sofa or dinette that converts to a bed (which are common) and you have lots of room for a big/young family. There are lots of HTT's in the 3500-6000 lbs range. Due to your weight budget, as tempting as a slide out may be for additional space, the frame/track for a slide adds a lot of weight. I would definitely look at WD, it improves handling quite a bit for me. I would also get a sway bar, nothing more nerve wracking than seeing some of the idiots on the road with their trailer fishtailing down the highway. Also I would look at getting a tranny cooler.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

CatonsvilleFred
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
This question has come up a few times in the past month - large families looking to go camping. Go up to advanced search, tell it to check the last 30 days for "large family".

I'm sorry I don't have any input for you, but I'm interested to see what the more seasoned travelers come up with. I do recall from past threads the popular recommendation was using two vehicles, a stripper truck to tow the big trailer and the van to haul the family, pets, etc.

Definitely will look into the other threads... On a cross country trip it would be important for all of us to ride together in the truck. That's one of the reasons we bought the NV with this towing capacity (did some research ahead of that purchase to make sure there were TT options in range for us - and I've found a few - just want to get everyone's advice).

Thanks.

CatonsvilleFred
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
First thing I would recommend is load that VAN up with everything that would be in it for the camping trip.....driver, passengers, all the stuff on/under the seats and fuel.

Then go to a CAT Scales and get weighed.

This is a great tip! That will allow me to pull out the seats we won't be using and get an idea of where we stand.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
This question has come up a few times in the past month - large families looking to go camping. Go up to advanced search, tell it to check the last 30 days for "large family".

I'm sorry I don't have any input for you, but I'm interested to see what the more seasoned travelers come up with. I do recall from past threads the popular recommendation was using two vehicles, a stripper truck to tow the big trailer and the van to haul the family, pets, etc.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
You're on the right track about weight issues.

First thing I would recommend is load that VAN up with everything that would be in it for the camping trip.....driver, passengers, all the stuff on/under the seats and fuel.
Then go to a CAT Scales and get weighed.

Weigh ticket will show: Front axle weight, Rear axle weight and Total Van weight
(everybody stays in vehicle during weighing......cost $10)

Now with actual weight numbers you will have a better understanding of size/weight of trailer you can tow vs mfg. tow rating with an * or **

As for which trailer....no help there. Never went any where with that many kids except when I was one of them :B

Look at trailers GVWR and figure 12-15% of Gross for tongue weight.
Then look at your weight numbers...can VAN handle that tongue weight???
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31